Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2023, 15:58   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Cheap Tablet for Open CPN

I have been using Open CPN on my PC notebook and tried the free version of Navionics on my phone. I really like the seamless NOAA charts on OpenCPN, and in the fture I hope to get all my instruments talking ot each other on using OpenCPN.

I would like to get a tablet to run OpenCPN and keep in the cockpit for navigation as opposed to using the Raymarine chartplotter, whose interface and display don't impress me.

Looking to buy a tablet for this purpose. Prefer a screen maybe 8-10 inches and as bright as possible without breaking the bank so my old eyes can read the charts. Looking for recommendations. Like to avoid spending too much money, say $200 tops.

Any recomendations? Should I be looking for one running Android or Windows? My phone is an iPhone but the screen is too small for navigation for me, and I don't see any reason to pay more for an iPad.

Appreciate any ideas or user experiences.

Thanks!
Old 13-12-2023, 16:06   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Cheap Tablet for Open CPN

Well, there is NO OpenCPN version for iOS, so forget iPhone and iPad.

There are SO many Android tablets at low prices... competition! Indeed, I have just ordered a.cheap non-brand-name (ie not Samsung etc) 10" tablet from Amazon to see how OpenCPN runs on it. Due later this week.

(For a long time now I have been happy with Dave Register's Android OpenCPN... but have used and am using Samsung tablets. To be clear: OpenCPN IS better on a PC, but I use the tablets for OpenCPN more often.)

One thing to be careful about: make sure tablet has GPS!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 16:12   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
One thing to be careful about: make sure tablet has GPS!
Why? Don’t you have an nmea feed over wifi? The internal gps is very power hungry.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 17:35   #4

Boat: Boat

The first thing I would do is go to a local store that had several in stock and see if the 8 inch or the 10 inch tablet is going to be better for you specifically. The 8 inch with its smaller screen has an easier time charging/maintaining charge off a typical 12v USB DC plug on a boat. Depending on the power demands of a 10 inch tablet and the capabilities of your specific USB socket a 10 inch tablet may not be able to charge fast enough to keep from discharging the battery. But with the smaller screen, it may not be large/bright enough for you.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 17:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why? Don’t you have an nmea feed over wifi? The internal gps is very power hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
The first thing I would do is go to a local store that had several in stock and see if the 8 inch or the 10 inch tablet is going to be better for you specifically. The 8 inch with its smaller screen has an easier time charging/maintaining charge off a typical 12v USB DC plug on a boat. Depending on the power demands of a 10 inch tablet and the capabilities of your specific USB socket a 10 inch tablet may not be able to charge fast enough to keep from discharging the battery. But with the smaller screen, it may not be large/bright enough for you.
Thanks, guys. Jedi, I have a NMEA bus but no wifi yet. Looking for somehting with built in GPS to keep handy in the cockpit.

Cloroxbottle, good advice. I think I'll go to BestBuy tonight and fondle some merchandise.

What do yo uguys think of this Lenovo tablet for this purpose: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Tab-M8-...7-857e17e03685
$70, not a big financial risk. And Amazon will foolishly sell me a two-year protection plan for $21.
Old 13-12-2023, 18:21   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

I would consider what mounts and cases are available for whatever you are looking at.

If you get a cheap tablet with no mount or case that you need to hold and will be damaged the first time you drop it the Amazon protection plan will not work to get you back to port safely.
Old 13-12-2023, 19:25   #7

Boat: Hunter 336

Samsung do their "Active" tablet range that are sunlight readable and waterproof. There have been lots of people recommending them for this job. I researched it and in the end went with a waterproof monitor and raspberry Pi but the Active Tablet was the clear winner in tablets. They are expensive, but Active 2 Tablets (8") can be found on ebay for <$100
SV-Apres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 20:35   #8

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Apres View Post
Samsung do their "Active" tablet range that are sunlight readable and waterproof. There have been lots of people recommending them for this job. I researched it and in the end went with a waterproof monitor and raspberry Pi but the Active Tablet was the clear winner in tablets. They are expensive, but Active 2 Tablets (8") can be found on ebay for <$100
Using a Samsung Active Tab Pro to run Navionics. Works well. Has built-in GPS. Bought new and exceeded OP's budget.

Working on getting OpenCPN going on a Panasonic ToughPad tablet. Bought used (rebuilt) from Bob Johnson for something in the $300-$400 range (IIRC). Doesn't have GPS; will get it from AIS. Can't comment further yet since haven't used.

Plan is to use both, as well as other sources. I like redundancy.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 20:55   #9

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
Prefer a screen maybe 8-10 inches and as bright as possible without breaking the bank so my old eyes can read the charts. Looking for recommendations. Like to avoid spending too much money, say $200 tops.
Same, except I'm in denial about my aging eyes so can't speak to that... :-)

Three years ago I bought a used Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7" tablet off eBay for this purpose. I run OpenCPN using NOAA raster charts for local coastal cruising. I removed most of the garbage that comes installed and have added back useful apps as I find utility. It's been awesome, especially considering I spent US$125 shipped.

Pros: Simple, cheap, very good outdoor brightness (and battery life!), okay if it gets destroyed. In practice it's held up very well and I typically just jam it between a cockpit cushion and the coaming or let it knock about the cockpit a bit. Size is perfect. Built-in GPS is good enough for my purposes.

Cons: Responsiveness/speed. This is a *very* minor complaint and does not matter whatsoever. It would simply be nice if it were a smidge "snappier." It is not slow and I don't wait for things to happen, this is just occasional latency.

I would absolutely buy this again. If I bought one today I would buy the equivalent age but perhaps one year younger. At this price buying a second for backup or another location would not be much of a stretch. Or add a mount and you're really in business. If you someday went to an onboard computer it could be repurposed as a remote display.
randomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 21:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I would consider what mounts and cases are available for whatever you are looking at.

If you get a cheap tablet with no mount or case that you need to hold and will be damaged the first time you drop it the Amazon protection plan will not work to get you back to port safely.
Yeah, I am not looking at this as as essential navigational tool. I have paper charts and a chartplotter. This is more like a conveneience. I am confident in my ability to get back to port safely without the tablet on the modest voyages I am contemplating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Apres View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, Apres! This is good tip. I see Amazon also has the Active 2 "renewed" for $90-200 depending on condition. This bears further research.

I did go to BestBuy tonight and confirmed an 8 inch tablet will suit my needs. Pretty sad what BestBuy has come to, it was dpressing.

Appreciate any other ideas / experiences with various tablets, everyone!
Old 14-12-2023, 03:19   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

A couple of years ago I bought an inexpensive Chuwi PC, not Android, tablet to run OpenCPN. It is low power, runs Windows, has USB connections for interface, etc. It does not have an internal GPS, but it gets that data over wifi and through the USB connection interfaced to the NMEA data from the nav system. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard with it. It's a little slow, but otherwise works fine for the dedicated purpose of navigation.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:01   #12

My third and so far my best tablet for this use is an Oukitel RT-2. Waterproof, bright, lots of memory, incredible battery life, and OpenCPN runs smooth and flawlessly.

The only downside is the weight, but I still like it so much that it's my new every-day tablet.

There is a new version that just came out which also might be worth checking out.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:15   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post

If you get a wireless through the table charger you can supply power to a tablet with wireless charge ability mounted directly over it outside.

We have this working with an old Samsung S8 phone in a waterproof case which we use as multifunction display. It's velcroed outside at the position of the wireless charger. No cables outside.
Data including position is served via WiFi. Works fine. No reason why this should not work for a tablet too.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarrow View Post
My third and so far my best tablet for this use is an Oukitel RT-2. Waterproof, bright, lots of memory, incredible battery life, and OpenCPN runs smooth and flawlessly.

The only downside is the weight, but I still like it so much that it's my new every-day tablet.

There is a new version that just came out which also might be worth checking out.
Oukitel looks really interesting, they have some models pretty much in my price range, but with 10 inch screens. I really prefer 8 inch, but Oukitel is going on the list. Thanks!
Old 15-12-2023, 10:55   #15

Boat: Brewer 12.3

I also run the SAmsung tablets. I carry 3 of them actually. Vary in ages. All have held up for years, my longest is 5. Battery life is good. Get an 11" screen. So much better than the 9.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, open cpn