Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 01:05   #2191

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirribilli47 View Post
If I select several tracks in track meny and then press delete then system will freeze.
I have daly track activated and then I delete all tracks with distance 0....
Magnus
Although on O 4.99 I've tried to reproduce this but didn't succeed neither on Win10 nor Ubuntu 16.04. It is some work to produce zero length tracks but when done I can delete all or parts of the produced tracks wo freeze.

Either is the problem solved in 4.99 or there are something else with your system(s) we need to know.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 15:27   #2192

Apologies again for a dumb question.

Having learnt more than I want to know about wxWidgets, wxFormBuilder and OpenCPN plugins, I am ready to publish my plugin src to github.

So I kind of understand that issuing my cmake commands from the build directory is called an out of source build.

Yet my plugin's top level folder is full of sub folders that were created during the build commands:
cmake -T v120_xp ..
cmake –-build .
cmake –-build . –-config release
cpack

So how do I clean up the top level folder and what exactly needs to be published to github ?

Just the src and cmake folders (and contents) and cmakelists.txt and readme.md files ?

Finally the translation files .po and using poedit ? Any suggestions for a newbie ?

Thanks in advance.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 17:55   #2193
Marine Service Provider

stevead...

Congratulations on your plugin work.

You are on the right track for github. You will do a "git push", which will essentially upload everything which you have committed to your local git repo. This will probably include at least:

src/*
include/*
po/*
CMakeLists.txt
README

You can take a look at some simple standalone plugin repos (sources listed at opencpn.org) and get the idea of our standard build tree structure. For example, clone something like vdr_pi (https://github.com/SethDart/vdr_pi) and you will see.

It is important that devs be able to git-clone and build your plugin from near-bare-metal. So the thing to do is publish, and encourage other devs to try the build. If it doesn't work, you will hear shortly, and can iron out the missing dependencies. This will also give you a cross-platform build experience, also important.

Welcome to the team
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:48   #2194

Boat: Sadler 29
Question Ubuntu 18.04 issues

HI

I was forced to upgrade Ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04 in pursuit of another problem.

During the course of the upgrade Opencpn was forcibly removed from the system, along with the oesenc plugin and some associated library files.

I have re-installed opencpn and attempted a re-install of the oesenc plugin. Opencpn appears to be running ok, but starting it from the command line there are some error messages that mean nothing to me...

ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

BUT

I had no luck installing the oesenc plugin, although my command line:

sudo apt-get install oesenc-pi

appeared to work ok. The plugin did not materialise in the setup screen.

It is a major upgrade, with everything moved around, so I am only just finding my way around, and have been unable to find the software update screen showing the ppa.

I guess it is a perpetual challenge to keep up to date!

pre.cjk { font-family: "Nimbus Mono L", monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }
Fuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:23   #2195

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have been delaying updating Mint to avoid such problems. In fact I do not plan on doing an upgrade, but instead a wipe and clean install. It is a real pain but likely to have fewer problems. Of course the PPAs will have to point to the repositories for the newer Ubuntu release. I feel your pain...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:44   #2196

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Ubuntu 18.04 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuga View Post
HI

I was forced to upgrade Ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04 in pursuit of another problem.
Make sure you upgrade your system directly to get all the latest bugfixes (18.04.1)

During the course of the upgrade Opencpn was forcibly removed from the system, along with the oesenc plugin and some associated library files.
This is the normal procedure. When upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04, I was presented with the option to reinstall deactivated packages.

I have re-installed opencpn and attempted a re-install of the oesenc plugin. Opencpn appears to be running ok, but starting it from the command line there are some error messages that mean nothing to me...

ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

These error messages have nothing to do with OpenCPN, and occurs all the time when running O from the command-line.

BUT

I had no luck installing the oesenc plugin, although my command line:

sudo apt-get install oesenc-pi

appeared to work ok. The plugin did not materialise in the setup screen.

Have you checked the opencpn.log for hints? Have you activated the oesenc plugin?

It is a major upgrade, with everything moved around, so I am only just finding my way around, and have been unable to find the software update screen showing the ppa.

I guess it is a perpetual challenge to keep up to date!

pre.cjk { font-family: "Nimbus Mono L", monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }
These upgrades are always a bit of PITA, before you get used to the changes. I'm happy you do this before I have to do it. I'm due in a month time or so once my system is not used for production = active cruising.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:56   #2197

Tried to compile OpenCPN 4.8.6 using OpenCPN_buildwin-4.8.4 and VS2013. WxWidgets 3.0.2. Needed to make some additions to the linker files and remove the link to wxWidgets 'expat.lib'. The 'expat.lib' from buildwin is used.

The remaining problem is compiling chartdldr_pi.

Code:
7>chartdldr_pi.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "int const wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT" (?wxEVT_DOWNLOAD_EVENT@@3HB)
Can someone confirm whether OpenCPN_buildwin-4.8.4 should work. 'OpenCPN_buildwin' from SourceForge had a number of problems.

Tried '#include "wx/dlimpexp.h"' in 'chartdldr_pi.h' but this did not work.

The manual for compiling on Windows is confusing. Compiling using VS2013 seems to reference the wrong version of buildwin from Sourceforge. The VS2017 section refers to using VS2013 for versions OpenCPN 4.8.2 and below. It does not mention 4.8.4 or 4.8.6.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:32   #2198

Actualy the upgrade (in-situ) from 16.04 to 18.04 has not raised many issues. The user interface is a bit different, though.

I have enough issues without worrying about OpenCPN at the moment, but thought I would flag up this one.

No, I have not activated the oesenc plug in, as it does not appear in the plug-ins list after installation.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56   #2199
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Fuga...

about oeSENC: does it show up in the opncpn.log?

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:22   #2200

Hi

Yes, and sorry, false alarm re oesenc.

I have gone into the program again, and it is there on the setup plugins manager and active.

Unfortunately the machine that the charts are licensed for is on the boat (laid up in France), and the machine that was my backup (the predecessor to the one I am now working with) died a death a few months ago. Therefore I am no longer licensed on this one, and I have not thrown myself on the doctor's mercy. I dont begrudge 20 euros, which is all I spent on charts.

However, the .opencpn directory has been inherited from the dead machine, and there is a lot of history there, and maybe not representative of a clean install.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I can't test any further at the moment.

In installing opencpn therre was no desktop icon etc. generated, and so I have had to run from the terminal command line.

There is an oesenc directory under .profile.

Sorry for the red herring.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:55   #2201

Hi Dave,

I just wanted to download the sources for the latest stable version, to compile myself (on debian).

On the download page I only find a link to github. I cloned those to a fresh directory, compiled and installed as directed without problems.
The info screen (screenshot attached) however says I got V4.99.0, Build 2018-02-10.
I expected V4.8.6. What did I do wrong? I verified that the binary is timestamped 1. Okt.

I also noted that the screen isn't updated correctly after a window resize (sreenshots). When I force a repaint everything snaps in place nicely however.

Otherwise a marvelous peace of software! Thanks!

Cheers, Juergen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto von »2018-10-01 15-01-20«.png
Views:	76
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	178303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto von »2018-10-01 15-04-05«.png
Views:	79
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	178304  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto von »2018-10-01 15-11-55«.png
Views:	89
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	178305  
juehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:39   #2202

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by juehoe View Post
Hi Dave,

I just wanted to download the sources for the latest stable version, to compile myself (on debian).

On the download page I only find a link to github. I cloned those to a fresh directory, compiled and installed as directed without problems.
The info screen (screenshot attached) however says I got V4.99.0, Build 2018-02-10.
I expected V4.8.6. What did I do wrong? I verified that the binary is timestamped 1. Okt.

I also noted that the screen isn't updated correctly after a window resize (sreenshots). When I force a repaint everything snaps in place nicely however.

Otherwise a marvelous peace of software! Thanks!

Cheers, Juergen
You have downloaded the "master" branch, with a bunch of not tested code updates. What you want is the "o486" branch.

Code:
git clone -b o486 https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 14:58   #2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
You have downloaded the "master" branch, with a bunch of not tested code updates. What you want is the "o486" branch.

Code:
git clone -b o486 https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
Thomas

Thanks for the quick reply!

The version I get now is 4.8.5. The repainting issues are the same.

Cheers, Jürgen
juehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 15:11   #2204

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by juehoe View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

The version I get now is 4.8.5. The repainting issues are the same.

Cheers, Jürgen
Dave forgot to push the last commit changing the version number string, you have everything that is 4.8.6

For your issues please open a normal bugreport with a screenshot and description of your problem if it has to get some attention.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 04:43   #2205

1. Is there another API to directly add AIS info directly into OpenCPN rather than pushing NMEA 0183 sentences via the PushNMEABuffer API ?

For example to send the relevant fields from AIS messages 1,2 or 3 (Class A Position Report), 4 (Base Station ), 5 (Class A Static & Voyage Data), 9 (SAR), 18 & 19 (Class B Position Report), 21 (AToN) and 24 (Class B Static Data).

Reason for asking this is that it seems pointless from a performance perspective to parse a NMEA 2000 AIS message and perform the six bit payload encoding to create the corresponding NMEA 0183 VDM or VDO sentence, only for OpenCPN to then decode the sentence and parse the NMEA 0183 fields.

2. What is the preferred (aka easiest) Linux distro to use for compiling and testing new plugins ?

I'm not really interested in using a Linux distro as a development platform for writing my code as all of my coding has been completed under Windows. I just need to compile and test the Socket CAN portion of my plug-in.

3. Related to 2. Does a Raspberry Pi have sufficient memory and processing power to compile and test plug-in's ? It is a potentially attractive platform as there a number of CAN bus hats available for the Raspberry Pi.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote