Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2023, 00:23   #1

5.2.4 to 5.8.4 Chart File problem

On a up to-date install of Mint 20.04 I have just upgraded from a long time working version of O 5.2.4 to 5.8.4.
I find that now, I can not access the previously accessible 5 sets of Chart Files. They show in “Options/Charts/Chart Files” and can be seen and applied, however they do not appear as Bars across the lower border of the screen. I can get only 3 sets of files to appear on the lower bars. Ie The MB Tiles file and any two of the CM93 files. I can remove one of those CM93 files and bring in another of the CM93 Chart Files but I cannot get all 5 CM93 files to display as bars and be accessible as was previously possible with 5.2.4
I have tried multiple times:- Scanning and Rebuild the Chart Database. I have tried renaming the Files, changing their directories, re-installing 5.8.4. etc etc. With no success.

The Chart files are named as follows. The MB Tiles directory does not cause a problem
home/lower-nav/CM93
home/lower-nav/CM93-1
home/lower-nav/CM93-2
home/lower-nav/CM93-3
home/lower-nav/CM93-4
and a MB Tiles directory on a separate partition. Moving the chart files to that separate partition has no effect

Is there any way around this issue?

Thank you
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
fredNerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 00:43   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: 5.2.4 to 5.8.4 Chart File problem

Please attach your opencpn.confg and opencpn.log files.
After checking your chart paths!!!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 01:44   #3

I cant seem to just attach the Config and Log. I am getting Humbug from Cloudflare which stops that from happening. I am reluctant to just paste the Log and Config because of the size and frankly it bugs me when people do that. However now I understand why they have had to on some occasions.
If it is OK I will paste the Config and Log into a message.

Thks
Old 26-11-2023, 07:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

fred....

There is no performance advantage to splitting the CM93 dataset. In fact, it is less performant than having a single larger set.
There may be other reasons to use a split cm93 setup. Groups, possibly?

In any case, I recommend that your combine the multiple cm93 sets into one.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 17:54   #5

Each Chart file set has different revision dates. Many of the older CM93 revisions have data/detail that the later revisions do not have and vice versa. There is no way, to my knowledge, to combine all those sets into one set without losing any detail. That is why I use the individual CM93 sets. I know that I am not the only user who does this. While this function may not be important for navigating around the Bay on a week end. For some of us long term in areas less well traveled. It was important. Having all the Chart files available, each at a single click allows you to review all the information that you have onboard that pertains to the Tiles currently being viewed. That is just being prudent. I have used Opencpn since the very early releases and this function has always been available. Performance was not a issue with the earlier versions nor a issue now with 5.2.4. I do know from personal experience that this issue regarding Chart files did not start with 5.8.4 as I encountered it on ~5.8.2. previously and was able to roll back to 5.2.4.
Old 26-11-2023, 18:05   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Why not put them in different chart groups, and switch between them with the 1-5 keys on the keyboard? (or right click->Chart Groups if no keyboard is attached) That is the intended way to perform the function you are trying to do. The chart bar is more for changing scale within an active chart group.