Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 17:19   #91

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailing and Aging

For anyone interested, in the '70's, a book came out, written by a father in his twenties, iirc, who had metastacized cancer, it's title: "How Can I Not Be Among You." You may be able to find a copy.

Ann
Old 17-07-2018, 21:44   #92

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I met a couple last weekend he is 90 she’s 80. They just sold their moody down in the Bahamas and now have a nordsea in Lake Michigan. Still sailing but much slower and day sailing only. Had a good day out with them and did a bit of rerigging. And that’s how it goes, you eventually need a bit of assistance
Old 14-08-2018, 10:22   #93

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

Wow 90 and still at it. Good for them . I will be 84 next week and just sailed my 36 ft. Pearson up from Jacksonville to Annapolis last week. Made a solo circumnavigation at 65 by that is no record.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:44   #94

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

We are relatively new to this. I was born in New Zealand, and put my first dinghy in the water at age 8 or thereabouts (it was a while ago ...), and have 'messed about in boats' ever since. But our first 'keeler' came into our lives when we were both 59 and realising that if we left it much longer, it was never going to happen.

Now we are both 65 and loving it (when the work is done - but at least that is satisfying as long as we pace ourselves). We have learned over the last several years that we need to be a little kinder to ourselves - to allow time to breathe, rather than dawn to dusk work in preparation for each season, and stripping down at the end.

So far, everything is manual except for one secondary winch at the companionway - the one we use for furling lines (headsail and in-mast). I see that not changing for a very long time if ever - a modern two speed winch is very easy to crank, and good upper body exercise.

We do all the usual work ourselves - at the moment. That includes hull and topsides polishing each season, going up the mast (that electric winch again …) to install/remove the wind instrument and check things over, putting the sails on/taking them off, lugging the outboard out of the foc'sle each season and putting it back there at the end, lugging the tender and liferaft etc down below at the end of of each season and getting them back where they should be each new season. BUT, we fully recognise that at some stage, those are the things that we will need help with - the big bulky things are not getting any lighter, and one day, I will not feel being at the top pf our mast is a good idea. That is the time we will just have to pay for someone to give us a hand here and there.

Downsizing does not appeal to us - we like the room and the storage that a bigger boat gives us, and when living on-board for months at a time, for us that is important, but dealing with that headsail at the end of each season is a task! As an interim, we are looking at converting to a cutter rig, and reducing the 140% genoa to something more manageable when it is a pile of canvas on the deck needing to be got off the boat for proper folding and bagging.

Also, we see our sailing becoming more conservative as years advance, but that's OK too. I guess it could get to the point of just wanting to change neighbourhoods and paying a delivery skipper to take us there, but I really hope that is never needed. Who knows what life has in store (the reason we 'jumped' when we did - with a major health fright for my wife, that really focussed us on what we wanted to do with what was left of our lives), but I hope we are still sailing well into our eighties. It is indeed a healthy way of life, and I could easily be convinced it was a life-extending activity (does anyone know of any research on that subject?). So as long as we still enjoy it and can afford it, we intend to keep going a while longer yet.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:17   #95

Boat: Catalina 42

When using your Milwaukee side angle drill do you ever have problems with the chuck set screw breaking when under a load and in reverse? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.
Found at Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 20:58   #96

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found at Sea View Post
When using your Milwaukee side angle drill do you ever have problems with the chuck set screw breaking when under a load and in reverse? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.
Loc-tite. Also, keep a few on hand, that usually keeps one from needing the spare! It's kinda frustrating at times.

Add on by Jim: I just posted in another thread that we broke a couple of retaining screws at first. I then put some red loc-tite on the chuck mounting threads and have had no further screws break over the intervening several years and hundreds of uses. We run it f full load in both directions.

Jim
Old 23-08-2018, 06:48   #97

Boat: Catalina 42

Thanks Jim,
Are you saying put Loc-tite on the threads and the matching retaining screw or the larger threads that screw on the chuck? Isn't the Red Loc-tite the permanent one that can't ever be removed?
Thanks again,
Michael
Found at Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 12:51   #98

Boat: Leopard 39

As an update, I had a cochlear implant placed three months ago, and recently had it activated. There was little out-of pocket with Medicare, and it was a life changing event. After years of being unable to use a telephone, I can now stream them clearly. The technology is impressive, and includes a waterproof case you can place over the implant for swimming or wet activities like sailing, as well as a wireless lapel microphone you can give someone to wear in a crowded, loud place, that streams their voice directly to the implant. You have to be fairly compromised to qualify for this procedure, which converts sounds to electrical signals that are delivered directly to the auditory nerve; but it is nothing short of miraculous. I've worried for years about what I might NOT be hearing while sailing- someone's SOS, bridge tenders, weather broadcasts, etc. I worked around my disability with the help of others, but it's a hearing world. I would urge anyone with severe hearing issues to investigate this treatment.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:41   #99

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Thanks Jim,

Are you saying put Loc-tite on the threads and the matching retaining screw or the larger threads that screw on the chuck? Isn't the Red Loc-tite the permanent one that can't ever be removed?

Thanks again,

Michael

The red can be removed but not readily
Old 18-09-2018, 18:55   #100

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Thanks Jim,
Thanks again,
Michael
The loc-tite goes on the threads that secure the chuck to the spindle, not on the retaining screw. And it is removable with the use of gentle heating, as per Loc-tite literature.

Jim
Old 10-10-2018, 22:17   #101

Send a message via Skype™ to Ken61137

I have developed an interest in wing sails similar to the one developed by Dr. Hugh Elkaim with his Catalyst project.
I found my last trip in the North sea a bit of a worry I coped OK but realized as getting older so need a different easier to handle rig for the near future.

This wing sail is self tacking so theoretically, with the proper software you can dial in a waypoint and it becomes an autonomous vehicle. OK so we can dream away.
Not really what we would like but at 80 then can be termed a disabled sailor so a wing sail has some attraction.
The other merit is! that it can sail very close to the wind. On a number of older and some charter catamarans sailing close to the wind is a problem. So could be a good upgrade for them.

The downside is they have to be free standing so they can rotate 360 degrees freely. So care has to be taken to mount them strongly enough. as per e.g. an aero rig.

Does any one have any more information on them. If some interest is shown I can develop moulds etc and have them manufacured as a retro fit.

I have already made a number 3D printed models which have proved to be very promising.
Ken61137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:33   #102

Boat: Lagoon 420

Well hats off to those of you in your 60's, 70's & 80's that are still out there enjoying the sailing life. We are always impressed by the level of fitness and vitality among you!

Mrs & I are 55 & 57. We spend winters aboard in the Eastern Caribbean and the other half of the year back home in Canada reconnecting with family & friends. For me I lose 20 pounds in winters without even trying....in summer I gain 20 pounds....without even trying! It is just so much more healthy onboard with the level of activity, healthier foods, fresh air, etc.

About sailing and aging, a lot of it has to do with how you have your boat set up. We've installed some better steps for access at the mast, some grab bars where we get in and out of the dinghy, take our time and watch our step more, don't sail on a schedule if at all possible which makes for an easier time of it.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 14:10   #103

Many posts have given great advice regarding what to do to your boat. But don't forget the nut that holds the tiller is very important. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Exercise, eat more good food than bad, and get regular check ups with your doctor. It doesn't matter what changes you make to your boat, if that nut holding the tiller goes bad, then your sailing days might be done.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 18:01   #104

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
a friend of mine sailed to the philipines and now has a much younger philipino girlfriend,she sails the boat,does all the cooking and boat maintanance....he just supplies the cash and instructions..........
If I tried that I'd lose my boat to my wife. Darn.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 20:01   #105

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Exercise, eat more good food than bad, and get regular check ups with your doctor. It doesn't matter what changes you make to your boat, if that nut holding the tiller goes bad, then your sailing days might be done.

I cannot agree more to above quote. Especially the exercises are very important to me. I exercise typically 5 days a week.

We are preparing our boat and our bodies.

We are using an app called "body weight training" from Mark Lauren. Available in Apple Store and Google Play and cost about 5EUR /6$US. Forget the words "body weight" This app get you into the best physical condition at your age.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing