Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 16:23   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

This question was inspired by a thread drift elsewhere when the question came up regarding sailors reaching 70+. The topic concerns increasing the age for active cruisers to remain on board. What battles to choose in order to extend your cruising? What skills and techniques will best suit the geriatric cruiser and outfit the best geriatric vessel? I'm turning 67 while Nancie remains the youthful 66 and I'm interested in planning the next ten years. We are already "cockpit potatoes" poking about in the best of weather, but we were doing that in the seventies. Since we have spent our entire adult lives livingaboard and cruising, we might be blind to some ideas. Anyway, for the benefit of all,- What are the adjustments, the battles, the adaptations?
Old 04-10-2013, 16:27   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Aging Cruisers Choose Battles

I would like to know too since I may not even start till mid sixtys (at this #%*&%# rate)!!

Since the 70s???

What have you had for income since middle age???
Old 04-10-2013, 16:30   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Gosh, there are people in the 70's, 80's, even 90's now doing incredible stuff like marathons, triathlons, mountain climbing, etc. Stay active, exercise and keep doing what you're doing. Don't dwell on the age too much, just adapt when you have to.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

'no lack of positive expectation here, but all my life choices are planned, so all the questions stand for me and others.

What have we had for income? We were public school teachers from 1969 to 2002. These are not high pay positions, but the annual contract is usually for about 190 days and this leaves some time for cruising. It also gave us the same time "off" as our children, so, we were sailing away!
Old 04-10-2013, 16:56   #5

Boat: Sabre 426

It's simple - self tending jibs and electric winches. We are in our late 60's and we have a 43 foot sloop that is easy to mange owing in part to leisure furl and electric primaries and halyard winches.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:58   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Keeping flexible to fit into all those nooks and crannies to take care of maintenance chores.
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:00   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Not only am I a few feet away from 60, my past has included a few motorcycle wrecks and MCI's which has slowed me down a little. I sold my Ingrid 38 because it was a handful to single-hand. My vessel now, I can if need be. I see now that it is about exercise and staying limber. My biggest stumbling-block is laziness...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:03   #8
cruiser

Strong young men, hot young women, no experience, will train.

Faster, goddamnit.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:05   #9

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Gosh, there are people in the 70's, 80's, even 90's now doing incredible stuff like marathons, triathlons, mountain climbing, etc. Stay active, exercise and keep doing what you're doing. Don't dwell on the age too much, just adapt when you have to.
Agreed! Doodles. I was on the original thread and HAD to jump over for this!

IMO different people have different capabilities at any age. The phrase "use it or lose it" comes to mind. Sailing, skiing, running, hiking, and mtn biking; I know folks in their 60s-70s that can kick many 30 somethings ass. One of my goals is to get that Free Season Ski pass at 75. It was 70 but the ski areas recently raised the age for obvious reasons... more people are staying active longer now.

And I'm not talking about health freaks, we also drink beer, booze, and have fun. But we (sometimes) have better sense than we did 30+ years ago and try to be aware of the limitations that increased age might introduce so we don't have to recover.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogin View Post
It's simple - self tending jibs and electric winches. We are in our late 60's and we have a 43 foot sloop that is easy to mange owing in part to leisure furl and electric primaries and halyard winches.
I like this idea, but I also see both sides. We have a manual anchor windlass, manual sheet winches and a big crusing chute. Admittedly, we select our weather and stress, but we keep a lot of activity that is, in our minds, our gym membership. Then again, I see the wisdom of not being obligated to the chores. I have some elastic resistance bands that I pass behind the mizzen mast while I sit at my center cockpit helm and pull, bending forward with exercise repititions. Maybe the key is keeping the activity AND keeping the ability to accomplish tasks without stress and strain.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:30   #11

Boat: too many

Boy this thread sure caught my attention. Even though I'm only 60, for the last 4 years I have been inactive caring for my 94 year old dad. He raced bicycles into his 80's. I expect with my care he will live to 100, so that means I'll be 66. If I had my normal active life, I would think at 66 I'd still be able to cruise but this sedentary life for maybe 11 years might make sailing too hard, like just provisioning in foreign ports and lugging to the boat. This has me thinking of going "gasp, I'll say it, powerboating."
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:31   #12

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I like this idea, but I also see both sides. We have a manual anchor windlass, manual sheet winches and a big crusing chute. Admittedly, we select our weather and stress, but we keep a lot of activity that is, in our minds, our gym membership. Then again, I see the wisdom of not being obligated to the chores. I have some elastic resistance bands that I pass behind the mizzen mast while I sit at my center cockpit helm and pull, bending forward with exercise repititions. Maybe the key is keeping the activity AND keeping the ability to accomplish tasks without stress and strain.
I agree that exercise is important for maintaing strength but at least for me, the challenge of moving about the boat and steering in 20-30 knot breezes offers plenty of exercise. When we built our Sabre last year we wanted to make sure that we could handle the larger sail area as we move into our 70's. Next year we will add a larger Genoa to our inventory and that is when the electric primaries will become more important. My motivation for sailing has more to do with movement over through the water powered by changing wind forcings than getting upper body exercise that risks damage to my back.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:33   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I guess we are a little different, we started with a 43 ftr, went to a 51 ftr, sold that and now are looking a a SMALL (at least to us) Cat. A 34ftr, We handled the 51 ft ketch 2 handed, and with a powerd angled head drill, to raise the mail and staysail, the jib was furling, which we did not even use, and the mizzen was easy to hand raise. We sold her for a couple of extra bucks, and now we are gonna try this Cat thing everyone is talking about!! LOL But we may wish we kept the ketch!! Age really has nothing to do with anything! But health do !! Im lucky to still be able to sail at my age, without any big problems! I hope it stays this way cus we are sure not ready to stop cruisein!!! Just our 75 and 62 yr olds 2 cents
Old 04-10-2013, 17:35   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This has me thinking of going "gasp, I'll say it powerboating."
I'm glad you mentioned this. I tend to overlook this choice, but it's the most common step for people who are older sailors. Most of the people we meet cruising the East US Coast on trawlers are former sailors.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:39   #15

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I guess we are a little different, we started with a 43 ftr, went to a 51 ftr, sold that and now are looking a a SMALL (at least to us) Cat. A 34ftr, We handled the 51 ft ketch 2 handed, and with a powerd angled head drill, to raise the mail and staysail, the jib was furling, which we did not even use, and the mizzen was easy to hand raise. We sold her for a couple of extra bucks, and now we are gonna try this Cat thing everyone is talking about!! LOL But we may wish we kept the ketch!! Age really has nothing to do with anything! But health do !! Im lucky to still be able to sail at my age, without any big problems! I hope it stays this way cus we are sure not ready to stop cruisein!!! Just our 75 and 62 yr olds 2 cents
I was sure hoping this thread would get your attention Bob. I have respected your posts for a long time and with your and Connie's extensive cruising in monohulls, your future review of cruising on a catamaran will be a must read for me.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser