Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 18:03   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
In a Bit of a Jam

So I bought my first keelboat this past march. It's a hunter e33. Since then hunter went bankrupt and I've had some pretty serious issues. The most important is a cracked transmission from ZF which has been plaguing me since day one. ZF won't take responsibility because they say its due to improper installation. Hunter is bankrupt and will not honor warranties. So now what?
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 18:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: In a bit of a jan

How cheap was that Hunter? I guess you need to buy a new transmission case.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 18:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

How did ZF make the determination that the transmission was installed incorrectly?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 18:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
How did ZF make the determination that the transmission was installed incorrectly?
Well they didn't. Didn't even go and look. Just saw pics that my service dept sent over. I'm getting the runaround and they know hunter went bankrupt so no one is on their case about it.
Old 15-10-2012, 18:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
How cheap was that Hunter? I guess you need to buy a new transmission case.
Cheapest ever! Shoulda bought an opti.
Old 15-10-2012, 18:11   #6

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Mainship and their warranties no longer exist, unless Hunter-Marlow and their dealers want to help, it looks like you are on your own. You can try an inquiry with H-M and see if they are willing to help. Otherwise...
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 18:13   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Hunter is now back up and running again as Marlow-Hunter, but I have a feeling they won't want to talk to you about the transmission either. I would press harder on ZF. I bet Hunter would have dropped the problem on them anyway. What do you mean "cracked?"
Old 15-10-2012, 18:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
Hunter is now back up and running again as Marlow-Hunter, but I have a feeling they won't want to talk to you about the transmission either. I would press harder on ZF. I bet Hunter would have dropped the problem on them anyway. What do you mean "cracked?"
I mean its in half. Cracked on both sides. Was leaking oil since day one but due to improper diagnosis from the dealership was never realized until it got worse. Boats been outa commission for most of the few months I've owned it. Hunter won't honor the warranty and ZF is being stand off-ish. Basically that said they're not covering it before they even looked at it. Completely ridiculous.
Old 15-10-2012, 18:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I am not a mechanic and guess it's possible to crack a case from installation but cannot imagine how. Maybe a mechanical expert will chime in on that subject.

I would be very tempted to lean on ZF. What did your service department say was the cause? Are they an independent repair shop or a ZF dealer? Do you know and trust them?

If your mechanic thinks it's BS I would go after ZF. You can sue them in small claims court with no lawyer and very little cost. I had a hassle with Royal Caribbean Cruise lines once. They lost my luggage and more or less blew me off for a couple of months, ignored multiple phone calls, voice mails, faxes and emails. Finally I sent an email copied to every name and office I could find at RCC informing them that I was suing them in the local small claims court. I had a check in three days.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 18:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227
Mainship and their warranties no longer exist, unless Hunter-Marlow and their dealers want to help, it looks like you are on your own. You can try an inquiry with H-M and see if they are willing to help. Otherwise...
Can I go after the dealer? Don't they have to provide a warranty on a new boat as the seller regardless of hunters position?
Old 15-10-2012, 18:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
I am not a mechanic and guess it's possible to crack a case from installation but cannot imagine how. Maybe a mechanical expert will chime in on that subject.

I would be very tempted to lean on ZF. What did your service department say was the cause? Are they an independent repair shop or a ZF dealer? Do you know and trust them?

If your mechanic thinks it's BS I would go after ZF. You can sue them in small claims court with no lawyer and very little cost. I had a hassle with Royal Caribbean Cruise lines once. They lost my luggage and more or less blew me off for a couple of months, ignored multiple phone calls, voice mails, faxes and emails. Finally I sent an email copied to every name and office I could find at RCC informing them that I was suing them in the local small claims court. I had a check in three days.
Well my dealer sucked so I left them out for most service. The place I've been dealing with is new to me and is not affiliated with ZF. Nothing adds up with my situation. No one knows what the issue is or how it happened. ZF said specifically they they feel as though its not covered. What a load!!
Old 15-10-2012, 18:36   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It would have to have been a MASSIVE misalinement to cause a broken tranny case ! so maybe the folks setting up you drive train made a mistake ?? but someone did !! If you were not happy with your dealer, and had someone else service your boat ! maybe ya better talk to them !! cus it would have to be alinement of engine tranny to drive shaft ! Not trying to down the folks ya got doing your work ! Just saying ya had a problem that caused this to happen ! Just my 2 cents
Old 15-10-2012, 18:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
It would have to have been a MASSIVE misalinement to cause a broken tranny case ! so maybe the folks setting up you drive train made a mistake ?? but someone did !! If you were not happy with your dealer, and had someone else service your boat ! maybe ya better talk to them !! cus it would have to be alinement of engine tranny to drive shaft ! Not trying to down the folks ya got doing your work ! Just saying ya had a problem that caused this to happen ! Just my 2 cents
Thanks, yes that's definitely a possibility I've been thinking. The current service I'm getting is yanmars local shop which was recommended by them. Doesn't add up for sure.
Old 15-10-2012, 18:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Oh and the only issue with that is I've had issues since delivery, these guys came on way later.
Old 03-11-2012, 19:10   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: In a Bit of a Jam

The ZF reduction gear is pretty simple.....PM me with your situation and I'll see if I can help
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote