Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 20:36   #16

Boat: Hunter E33
ZF has removed my SD10 sail drive unit to inspect the issues I've been facing. They are claiming this unit to be non warrantable due to a number of reasons.

quoted from the report: " The front of the engine was mounted 23MM too low causing stress on the housing and associated parts. This caused the housing to crack from extreme misalignment. That misalignment also caused the torsional coupling to fail. ZF did not install the unit in this vessel." &. "Marine growth was found in the output seal causing the seal to leak water into the unit. We do not cover marine growth from forming on the lower unit."

Does anyone know who/how these units are installed, hunter, dealer, ZF, etc..?

Also, I notice they are speaking about marine growth in the unit. Per my dealership, and on my dime the vessel had an epoxy barrier coat, paint, zincs, etc. the report stated that there didn't seem to be any anti foul on this unit whatsoever. Is this possible that that was never done and caused this, or could the anti foul have worn off in only a few short months to such an extent that it caused this extent of damage?
My dealer responded to this by saying it gets sprayed on, is clear and could wear away easily.. Sounds fishy to me!

Clearly hunter is taking no responsibility, ZF isn't due to the above, my dealer is for all intents and purposes worthless, any ideas on the play here?

Thank you!
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote