Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2017, 19:33   #1

Anchoring in Hawaii

I am planning to buy a small sailboat in hawaii. Are ther any spots to anchor for free in Hawaii? I would like to hear specifically about anchoring in Nawilliwilli harbor and Hanalei Bay. I need a while to escape the buisiness of the rest of the world.

Thanks in advance,
Giovanni
GIOVANNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 20:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Anchoring in Hawaii

If you are talking about anchoring as a place to keep the boat long term instead of at a marina or permanent mooring I don't think it's allowed but maybe you can get more details from one of the forum members that live in Hawaii.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 20:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIOVANNl View Post
I am planning to buy a small sailboat in hawaii. Are ther any spots to anchor for free in Hawaii? I would like to hear specifically about anchoring in Nawilliwilli harbor and Hanalei Bay. I need a while to escape the buisiness of the rest of the world.

Thanks in advance,
Giovanni
Hanele Bay is a nice anchorage, with a good sandy bottom. You usually need to take your dinghy through the low surf into the Hanele River, but that's not been difficult. However, Hanele Bay is only viable in the summer season. The winter swells can be quite brutal.

I have no personal experience with Nawiliwili.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 20:25   #4

I am sorry for not being very specific. I plan on living aboard all year long for many years. It is okay to stay at a slip if it is not legal to anchor around there for an extended period of time, but I would really prefer it. Where do you suggest I anchor during the winter months.

Thanks,
Giovanni
Old 25-11-2017, 20:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Officially you are allowed to anchor for 48 hours in any one spot. Somehow people get around that prohibition. See boats anchored for long periods in Kailua Bay in Kona and other spots. Would I want to do it, no way. It's just too rolly in the winter subject to periodic high surf conditions especially in the winter. You can anchor beyond the break as they are long period waves but getting to shore would be very difficult.

A lot of boats winter over here. You can get a berth in a State Harbor for 4 months in any one year. Boats regularly stay in Honokohau Harbor here in Kona over the winter by taking their 4 months back to back from Sept-December in one year and Jan-April the following year. You could bounce around the State Marinas for years using the 4 month guest privilege. Lots of places to anchor in the summer though most are open roadsteads that I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in for more than a day and would be nervous about that.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 21:05   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Officially you are allowed to anchor for 48 hours in any one spot. Somehow people get around that prohibition. See boats anchored for long periods in Kailua Bay in Kona and other spots. Would I want to do it, no way. It's just too rolly in the winter subject to periodic high surf conditions especially in the winter. You can anchor beyond the break as they are long period waves but getting to shore would be very difficult.

A lot of boats winter over here. You can get a berth in a State Harbor for 4 months in any one year. Boats regularly stay in Honokohau Harbor here in Kona over the winter by taking their 4 months back to back from Sept-December in one year and Jan-April the following year. You could bounce around the State Marinas for years using the 4 month guest privilege. Lots of places to anchor in the summer though most are open roadsteads that I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in for more than a day and would be nervous about that.
Peter, I've forgotten now, what is the situation over in Reeds Bay in Hilo?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 22:10   #7

Thank you for that information Peter. I am not trying to be a smart aleck, but how far do you have to move for it to be legal? Can if be no more than a couple hundred yards?
Old 25-11-2017, 23:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

What is your specific experience sailing and operating a vessel. Full time on the hook and moving the vessel every few days takes some measure of skill.
If you are looking to basically unplug for a couple years why stay in Hawaii? Sailing around the south Pacific islands would occupy me for the rest of my life. What size vessel ? what is your cruising budget? Do you still need to work? So many questions that would need answered to give you a better idea on what to do.
Old 25-11-2017, 23:18   #9

I have minimal sailing experience, for I have only been bay sailing on others boats. The boats I am looking at are probably around 25 feet. The only reason I am planning to stay in Hawaii, and not anywhere else, is to stay away from the business, have people around that I speak the same language as, and the warm climate. I do not need to work, and the cruising budget is as much as it is to keep me comfortable. If there are any more questions that will help answer this question, feel free to ask.

-Giovanni
Old 26-11-2017, 00:23   #10

Boat: L420

I've been sailing for over 20 yrs here. Anything is possible depending on your tolerance for abandoning comfort. I see folks anchored beyond the 48 hour limit. I've also seen a boat owner make a court appearance and pay a fine for leaving a boat anchored in one spot for months. However, there are some out of the way spots you could anchor for extended periods without any care. Neither Nawilliwilli or Hanalei would be doable, DLNR will run you out of Nawilli or the NS swell in Hanalei. Winter brings big north swells summer brings medium and some big ones from the south. Paying attention to the weather and surf forecast is essential. As previously mentioned most year round anchorages are roadsteads. Anchoring in 35' water with 4-6' swell will rock and roll a boat more than I can tolerate. The protected areas near civilization are patrolled by DLNR. Using these areas areas; north in the summer and south in the winter would be a good strategy, but you would need to keep moving.
You will be surprised how few boats there are here. A DLNR officer worth their salt would recognize a boat in a fairly short time, one hanging around the same areas. To leave a boat moored during the summer season anchored in a Hanalei requires a mooring permit.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Reed's Bay is state controlled moorings. When I sailed over in 2010 tried to get a mooring there but was told no vacancies and long wait list. Did find a temporary sublease slip on the quai in the fish boat harbor next to Suisan but passed on it. Scared off by tales of theft issues. Found a sublease in Honokohau and moved the boat there. Bounced around on subleases till my name finally came up on the wait list after 5 years.

AB808 has the word on anchoring out. Anchoring anywhere there's civilization like Lahaina/Ka'anapali Coast, Kailua-Kona and/or in front of a hotel will be subject to monitoring.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:24   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well haven't heard from Peter yet, but here is something on staying in Hilo.
Hilo —
Not sure how current it is. I was there for a couple weeks last year and I have only seen Radio Bay and Reeds Bay from shore. I saw 7 or 8 boats moored there in Reeds Bay, which looked better, but I see the holding ground may be sketchy. Neither is a secluded cove by any stretch of the imagination, but you are in Hawaii.
How about Baja/Sea of Cortez? A lot of English spoken there too.

edit, oops! You got your post in before I finished mine Peter!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:29   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIOVANNl View Post
I have minimal sailing experience, for I have only been bay sailing on others boats. The boats I am looking at are probably around 25 feet. The only reason I am planning to stay in Hawaii, and not anywhere else, is to stay away from the business, have people around that I speak the same language as, and the warm climate. I do not need to work, and the cruising budget is as much as it is to keep me comfortable. If there are any more questions that will help answer this question, feel free to ask.

-Giovanni
English is spoken just about everywhere ( its the language of business) .
Where are you located? I have a proven Bluewater 24 ft sailboat for sale just needs interior paint and minor work on the outboard . I would be willing to sell cheap. ( multiple moorage bills are trying to break my bank) .
Old 26-11-2017, 13:43   #14

I am not looking to buy a sailboat quite yet. I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. It sounds like anchoring could work out in Hawaii. Thank you all for your quick responses. I would love to see a list, showing the best places to anchor during certain times of the year.

-Giovanni
Old 26-11-2017, 15:17   #15

Boat: L420

Charlie’s charts is a good start there are several other helpful books and blogs
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, hawaii