Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 04:23   #1

Leak in hull, sinking

Just work with me if you will. A cutter grinder is used close to the inside of a fibreglass hull while afloat at med moring. A little too close and you've cut about a two inch slice into the ocean. Water is seeping in and it is going to take time to find a drydock in this Mexican port. What do you do?
skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 04:33   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Leak in hull, sinking

Depends on what you have on hand... several epoxies will stick and harden under water (JB is a brand I've used) preferably do it from the outside, where the cut is actually smallest and the physical putty will actually be held in place by water pressure rather than being pushed out by it. Likewise, if you have Butyl tape, that too will stick underwater... again, do it from the outside.

If nothing like that is available, then my next thought would be to cut a wedge shaped (tapered) piece of material that will fit the gap... again, from underneath the hull.

Hope these ideas help...

Apologies, didn't realize which area this was in and thought it was an actual issue you were having...
Old 23-05-2017, 04:34   #3

Boat: Cornado 25

Underwater repair epoxy such as Loctite Fixmaster or similar.
Old 23-05-2017, 04:35   #4

I forgot one detail. This scenario is in the 1980's. Would these products be available then?
skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:02   #5

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

ok, Hubba bubba
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:11   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Very unlikely you have a AC inverter in the 1980s, so your grinder doesn't have power, so can't happen.

If your bilge pump can't keep up, cut the motor intake hose (after closing thru-hull) and use that to pump out the water.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:13   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Very unlikely you have a AC inverter in the 1980s, so your grinder doesn't have power, so can't happen.

If your bilge pump can't keep up, cut the motor intake hose (after closing thru-hull) and use that to pump out the water.

Generators weren't around in the 80's?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Toilet bowl wax.

It works, for sure, don't ask!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
I forgot one detail. This scenario is in the 1980's. Would these products be available then?

Yes as well as duct tape, a plastic bag etc. or has been said a toilet wax ring, kids modelling clay.
I carry a few Nerf footballs, you can give them as gifts to kids on the beach, or stuff them in a hull breach like a busted off thru hull, or you can pay much more for foam plugs sold just for this.
I carry soft wood plugs, I have a couple taped to each thru hull also.
To some extent you can just introduce something on the outside of a leaking hull, the leak will carry it in and again to some extent the pressure differential will hold it there.
Some even carry what amounts to a thick tarp with lines tied to it, Idea being in the vent of a hull breach to slip the tarp into the water and using the lines pull it into place (outside of the hull) water pressure will seal the leak.
It may make a leak that would sink you, manageable

You writing a book?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:57   #10

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Skitterbug,
as this is a hypothetical, I will throw in my two cents worth in the comfort of my lounge with no pressure of the boat filling with water . From what you have indicated you have a two inch slit that will be approximately the thickness of the cutting disk between 2 and 4 mm dependant on what type of disk you using. Regardless I would suspect that even with that small opening water will flow at a reasoable rate into the boat.
The first thing I would do (besides panicking) is to stop or reduce the flow immediately. A rag or similar placed over the hole is going to stop or reduce flow so that you can catch your breath and thnk of your next move. I have removed our speed log which does not have stopper valve and just placed a rag over the opening which reduces the flow to a dribble while I insert the stopper.
Being the 1980 you would have on board one of the older life jackets. I suspect I would grab this and a peice of timber such as a small cover and a larger timber length or metal strut. Place the life jacket against the hole, place the flat timber over the life jacket then jam the timber between a bulkead/hul then against the flat section. This should effectively seal or greatly reduce the flow of water coming into boat. A bilge pump should keep up with any flow that is left so that you have sufficient time to undertake a more permanent fix.
By the way your scenario is not off the mark. I had a mate doing something in his boat not realising he was cutting into the floor below the water line with a small 100mm angle grinder. It was just at water level so he moved everything he could to the opposite side of the boat to cause it to heel artificially. This placed the cut above the water line till he could think of his next move.
There are other methods but this one given the small hole should get you by. I am sure others will have far more pratrical suggestions.

Greg H
Lagoon 410.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 07:08   #11
cruiser

Gorilla tape.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 07:12   #12

Commercial vessels typically carry a bundle or two of cedar shingles just for this problem. Just snap of a piece that will fit the hole and pound it in. Repeat as needed. The wood will swell a bit and it isn't quite so hard to remove when you get it out of the water for a proper repair.
CHUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 08:22   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
Just work with me if you will. A cutter grinder is used close to the inside of a fibreglass hull while afloat at med moring. A little too close and you've cut about a two inch slice into the ocean. Water is seeping in and it is going to take time to find a drydock in this Mexican port. What do you do?
RIGHT AWAY...plastic (shopping) bags stuffed into hole from the outside. Bilge pumps on full. Move valuables to shore.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 08:22   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

A potato cut to shape and pushed inside hole
Old 23-05-2017, 08:27   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

1) who has a grinder on a boat?
2) who would use a grinder inside a boat?

There are been two part epoxies around since the 70's.
Wedge something against inside to slow down flow. Closed cell foam would work (inside most cockpit cushions and most all square throw cushions have it inside so cut a section out).

Mix up two part waterproof epoxy (personally I keep a tube for 3m5200 aboard for this) and find some piece of wood (either you have some or you cut down a piece of your wood filler pieces under your settee) and then dive in and patch it up. 5200 is going to really stick but will take hours so you got to find a way that it's going to stay up there till it cures. 2 part waterproof epoxy will kick while you hold it up there.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull