Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 11:28   #91

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Wind Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Maybe it's a language issue, but you are really misstating what these standards reference. The CAN bus, which Nmea 2000 is layered on, has absolutely nothing to do with rs232 or 422 or 485. It is a completely different animal at the hardware level.
I have a couple of USB to RS422/485 converters I have used for years to connect my computer to serial comms systems. I did not ever notice that they did not work but now having been informed that they don't I'll have to throw them away. Bit of a pity, they were good trouble shooting tools.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:47   #92
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

For wind sensor data, I believe racers use a wind sensor in front of the bow for upwind sailing instead of at the top of the mast. They mount it to the pulpit.

The reason B&G autopilots are so good is that they actually are Robertson autopilots. I believe they are still made in the Robertson plant in Norway.

RobNet was from Robertson; they are the small red connectors. Simrad had SimNet, which looked like the RobNet connectors but were yellow. They were CANbus and compatible with NMEA2000.
I once had a Simrad pilot with two RobNet and two SimNet connectors on the back.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:58   #93

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We never could get our old Raymarine wind speed gauge calibrated. But, we found if we took the recorded speed, and multiplied it times two, it was pretty close. I found I could live with that.
A magnet in the anemometer may have popped.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 13:01   #94

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For wind sensor data, I believe racers use a wind sensor in front of the bow for upwind sailing instead of at the top of the mast. They mount it to the pulpit.

The reason B&G autopilots are so good is that they actually are Robertson autopilots. I believe they are still made in the Robertson plant in Norway.

RobNet was from Robertson; they are the small red connectors. Simrad had SimNet, which looked like the RobNet connectors but were yellow. They were CANbus and compatible with NMEA2000.
I once had a Simrad pilot with two RobNet and two SimNet connectors on the back.
Probably the AC40 and AP16 set. This was still Robertson, renamed Simrad.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:29   #95

Quote:
Maybe they have this in addition to a mast head MHU but I doubt that would be all they have.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 15:11   #96

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I had my network crashing and isolated to the ultrasonic wind cable (PB200) at masthead. Of course I could isolate and terminate at mast step to get network up again. So so after some time sailing with no wind data decided in a fit of boredom to try and make the stuff work.
Between CanL and CanH did not read infinity (dissconnected), no corrosion/water entry.
Pulled cable and dissected top proprietry connector, finding porous rubber and inadequate separation of L&H. Cast a new plug off a mold re-insulated terminals.
Never failed again. (5yrs now)
Now the only "clue" that I could follow was < 10Mohm resistance between canL & canH. Which is insignificant in terms of the 120ohm termination, but I persisted anyway.
Perhaps it was something else and I happened to fix it in the process?
I'm happy with taking oppositions own goal!
Damn, I worked for it though.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 21:05   #97

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have a couple of USB to RS422/485 converters I have used for years to connect my computer to serial comms systems. I did not ever notice that they did not work but now having been informed that they don't I'll have to throw them away. Bit of a pity, they were good trouble shooting tools.
Who told you they didn't work? I told you the rs232/422 had nothing to do with nmea2k or CAN bus. Guess it is a language issue.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 23:28   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Maybe they have this in addition to a mast head MHU but I doubt that would be all they have.
Like I wrote, they only use that sensor for upwind. This however, is the point of sail where correct wind data is most crucial.

Old 12-09-2021, 23:31   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here, just in case a pictureto make things clear: wind sensor, mounted at and forward of the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9686F4E8-D6D7-4584-9880-55CBBB76CDB8.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	245187  

Old 13-09-2021, 04:19   #100

Quote:
Here, just in case a pictureto make things clear: wind sensor, mounted at and forward of the bow.
They're probably using that in conjunction with a MHU to measure gradient and shear. Again, I doubt that a sea level wind indicator is the primary wind indicator.
Old 13-09-2021, 06:46   #101

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Well, that's a picture of the British AC boat and I know that all the AC35 boats are so equipped but do you have knowledge of a trend by other boats to this?

I have not noticed it other than the AC boats and some catamarans.
Old 13-09-2021, 07:48   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well, that's a picture of the British AC boat and I know that all the AC35 boats are so equipped but do you have knowledge of a trend by other boats to this?

You mean cruising monohulls?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2F411A8-DC1D-40CB-BE34-7AE3DCFE37F8.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	245210  

Old 13-09-2021, 09:49   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

The only reason I can think to measure wind speed at the surface is so you can compare it to the mast head. I would guess they are analyzing the gradient and changing the camber along the luff to match a gradient at a specific height? Does anyone here have experience on an AC campaign? It would be interesting to know if the main can be camber controlled at different heights.
Old 13-09-2021, 11:24   #104

Quote:
You mean cruising monohulls?
Quote:
For wind sensor data, I believe racers use a wind sensor in front of the bow for upwind sailing instead of at the top of the mast. They mount it to the pulpit...
Jedi, I was asking if you are aware of a trend towards this, I am not.
Old 13-09-2021, 11:30   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
The only reason I can think to measure wind speed at the surface is so you can compare it to the mast head. I would guess they are analyzing the gradient and changing the camber along the luff to match a gradient at a specific height? Does anyone here have experience on an AC campaign? It would be interesting to know if the main can be camber controlled at different heights.
No actual experience with an AC campaign but we've seen plenty of discussions about the mechanics of the wings. At least two (sometimes three) segments going up the sail, each of which can be trimmed independently, both angle to the wind and shape, effectively introducing twist differences, and the shape to accommodate different true/apparent wind speeds.

Tags
men, rum, wind