Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 12:04   #106

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Wind Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For wind sensor data, I believe racers use a wind sensor in front of the bow for upwind sailing instead of at the top of the mast. They mount it to the pulpit.
Have never seen a wind transducer mounted on the bow. And have been involved in a lot of big boat racing - albeit mostly multihulls - as well as race boat setups.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 12:16   #107

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Here, just in case a pictureto make things clear: wind sensor, mounted at and forward of the bow.
Your example is a foiling Americas Cup boat, where wind angle is always coming from forward.

For the rest of us (i.e., with boats that don't sail with no hull in the water), boats also race downwind. A bow mounted wind transducer gives zero reliable information then, as it would either be behind the sail or being affected by flow over sail(s).
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:00   #108
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Jedi, I was asking if you are aware of a trend towards this, I am not.
I first started seeing this with racers 8 or 10 years ago. Then cruisers followed because it works so well… I’d call that a trend but of course many/most on the forum don’t even believe this is done even after posting pics so I guess it’s not for everyone

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:32   #109

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
You mean cruising monohulls?
Interesting. There can be quite a gradient in wind speed between the surface of the water and the top of the mast, so I would expect a sensor to read a bit slow compared to the masthead. I expect that this would also shift the apparent wind direction aft compared to the masthead.

But probably more importantly, it won't be subject to the motion of the mast, and would read a much better and stable wind direction. No up wash from the sail, either.
Old 13-09-2021, 15:22   #110

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I’m sorry you had a bad trip. It’s a horror to loose your compass light and not being able to get some flashlight quickly.
I don’t have an electrical system with bells and whistles. No masthead stuff except a tricolor and a strobe. I learned to sail without it. Here is why.
A long time ago an Eastern Airlines flight crashed into the Everglades and a lot of people were killed. Two pilots and an engineer and another pilot getting a ride in the cockpit. They were all focused on a gear not down light. Nobody was watching the altimeter and they flew the plane into the swamp.
I think there is way too much focus on electrically powered “stuff” and it’s easy to forget or grow rusty with basic skills.
I’m not going to junk my AIS or my autopilot but information overload to the brain is a danger. Keeping it simple is one way.
From what you’ve posted, your boat and where you sail, I’d venture to say you are one heck of a skipper. I’m going to keep a small led flashlight next to the helm now. Everybody learns from scary days at sea.
I guess I’m getting too old to drive my boat with a mouse and a smart phone.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark who is busy helping his manatee crew with their ORCA costumes for Halloween. Good grief what a crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 17:11   #111

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I’m sorry you had a bad trip. It’s a horror to loose your compass light and not being able to get some flashlight quickly.
I don’t have an electrical system with bells and whistles. No masthead stuff except a tricolor and a strobe. I learned to sail without it. Here is why.
A long time ago an Eastern Airlines flight crashed into the Everglades and a lot of people were killed. Two pilots and an engineer and another pilot getting a ride in the cockpit. They were all focused on a gear not down light. Nobody was watching the altimeter and they flew the plane into the swamp.
I think there is way too much focus on electrically powered “stuff” and it’s easy to forget or grow rusty with basic skills.
I’m not going to junk my AIS or my autopilot but information overload to the brain is a danger. Keeping it simple is one way.
From what you’ve posted, your boat and where you sail, I’d venture to say you are one heck of a skipper. I’m going to keep a small led flashlight next to the helm now. Everybody learns from scary days at sea.
I guess I’m getting too old to drive my boat with a mouse and a smart phone.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark who is busy helping his manatee crew with their ORCA costumes for Halloween. Good grief what a crew
My mobile phone has GPS, a compass and navionics in it. I keep it in a ziplok bag to keep it dry. I also have a waterproof tablet with Navionics and another with openCPN in it which I could put in a ziplok bag. Lots of gadgets available these days for backup for the primary system.
Old 13-09-2021, 18:13   #112

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Drifting off DH's quest for accurate true wind, but reminded of what can happen if you lose your network and hence AP, I can't imagine the complexity of getting your cell ph/waterproof tablet to drive AP, and stay powered up. Do-able I guess but out of my
imaginings of reasonably KISS. (And diy skill)
I have backup drive unit, APC, compass, but little use in adverse weather situation.
So this thread is a timely reminder to establish a switch over, mini N2K network for AP.
(No wind mode) Primarily for single handing.
The holy grail of true wind is not something I have time for. Just as long as it appears about right is good enough. Otherwise its on ignore.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 21:52   #113

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Drifting off DH's quest for accurate true wind, but reminded of what can happen if you lose your network and hence AP, I can't imagine the complexity of getting your cell ph/waterproof tablet to drive AP, and stay powered up. Do-able I guess but out of my
I have backup drive unit, APC, compass, but little use in adverse weather situation.
So this thread is a timely reminder to establish a switch over, mini N2K network for AP.
The holy grail of true wind is not something I have time for. Just as long as it appears about right is good enough. Otherwise its on ignore.
In a contingency such as that which the OP experienced I'd be happy to have an autopilot which could hold a course, and know where I was and what direction I was heading in.

Whilst reading some of the posts herein I slipped into recall on how we used to do things before we had all this wonderful instrumentation. One of the incidents I can recall was sailing up a depth contour during a pitch dark, rainy night to make it through a fairly narrow pass between a point and an offshore reef. Nerve wracking in those days but one would not think twice about it with modern instrumentation (I very badly needed to get into a calm anchorage as I had a passenger who was driving be nuts and roadstead anchoring was not an option)
Old 14-09-2021, 01:22   #114

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Totally agree.

We seem to have lost sight of our objective.

With all these highly accurate wind sensors none compensate for the effect of heel angle on the measured apparent wind angle.

Assuming a mono sailing hard on the wind heels 20-25 degrees then the measured apparent wind angle would vary by up to 10% from the plane of the wind. Add on the calculations to obtain True Wind angle without taking into account leeway, drift and wave action and you always have a wholly in-accurate result.

The accuracy of a wind instrument is therefore relative to the boat and useful only in optimising the performance of "that" particular boat in those particular, largely unrepeatable, conditions.

Far better to have a sensor that gives a stable reading with minimum damping that provides a relatively constant, if inaccurate, input to your computations.

Given modern GPS, VMG to destination is a much better guide to performance, everything else is nice to have but secondary to the primary objective.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 04:57   #115

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Totally agree.

We seem to have lost sight of our objective.

With all these highly accurate wind sensors none compensate for the effect of heel angle on the measured apparent wind angle.

Assuming a mono sailing hard on the wind heels 20-25 degrees then the measured apparent wind angle would vary by up to 10% from the plane of the wind. Add on the calculations to obtain True Wind angle without taking into account leeway, drift and wave action and you always have a wholly in-accurate result.

The accuracy of a wind instrument is therefore relative to the boat and useful only in optimising the performance of "that" particular boat in those particular, largely unrepeatable, conditions.

Far better to have a sensor that gives a stable reading with minimum damping that provides a relatively constant, if inaccurate, input to your computations.

Given modern GPS, VMG to destination is a much better guide to performance, everything else is nice to have but secondary to the primary objective.
Probably the closest:
https://www.bandg.com/bg/series/h5000/

Quote:
Wind measurement is affected by the wind induced at the top of the mast by the pitching and rolling of the yacht. The solution is 3D motion correction. H5000 takes data from multiple sensors including high-specification rate-gyros to correct for induced wind, providing the best wind solution available in an instrument system.
I think it is a very narrow use case that requires correction of heal angle to apparent wind direction. What really matters is repeatability. Build your polars to measurements taken on your boat, and as long as it is repeatable, that is what really matters.

Otherwise, you are going down a rabbit hole. Higher windspeed at the mast creates a different apparent wind angle than on deck. The reported windspeed on gribs is at a different height then the top of your mast, also affecting AWA, and there is significant up wash from the sails, and motion of the boat induces error.

I don't think there is a simple fix for all of that, but a complex computer can do it. But the use case is small.

If you are good at math/trig, you could try using the NEMA converter plugin in opencpn to make the calculations. But, the data sample rate might be too slow to produce acceptable results. Analog instruments into a computer with a high sample rate would produce the best results.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:40   #116

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I went back to the original post. Maybe I got this wrong, please correct.
Dark and stormy night...we’ve all been there...Crew sleeping. Rough seas.
GALE. Hard on the wind. Heading on plotter wrong. Can’t see compass. Unplanned gyre. Injury to hand.
I’m NOT going to Monday morning quarterback. Obviously, he’s a very skilled skipper. Everybody who has any real time offshore will re-think (to themselves)
each and every decision afterwards.
The point in my post was this...something fails in your complex electronic world, forget about it. Go back to basic sailing. Rely on the sailing skills you learned when you began sailing. People sailed for centuries without smart devices and there is a real danger in being too dependent upon them. That was the lesson in the Eastern Airline crash.
If my system crashed (we don’t have one) I wouldn’t be trying to replace it with a cell phone. Complex electronics fail. I can see the logic in having a backup system. I hope you can see my point in stressing the need to practice sailing without the support of electronics.
There is case after case of collisions, groundings and other mishaps directly attributed to misinterpreted information or electronic system failures.
Stuff..engines, running rigging, anchors...all seem to fail at the worse possible time. It’s good practice to pretend the stuff just failed and it keeps the best computer on the boat running on the latest software. Your brain.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:58   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I went back to the original post. Maybe I got this wrong, please correct.
Dark and stormy night...we’ve all been there...Crew sleeping. Rough seas.
GALE. Hard on the wind. Heading on plotter wrong. Can’t see compass. Unplanned gyre. Injury to hand.
I’m NOT going to Monday morning quarterback. Obviously, he’s a very skilled skipper. Everybody who has any real time offshore will re-think (to themselves)
each and every decision afterwards.
The point in my post was this...something fails in your complex electronic world, forget about it. Go back to basic sailing. Rely on the sailing skills you learned when you began sailing. People sailed for centuries without smart devices and there is a real danger in being too dependent upon them. That was the lesson in the Eastern Airline crash.
If my system crashed (we don’t have one) I wouldn’t be trying to replace it with a cell phone. Complex electronics fail. I can see the logic in having a backup system. I hope you can see my point in stressing the need to practice sailing without the support of electronics.
There is case after case of collisions, groundings and other mishaps directly attributed to misinterpreted information or electronic system failures.
Stuff..engines, running rigging, anchors...all seem to fail at the worse possible time. It’s good practice to pretend the stuff just failed and it keeps the best computer on the boat running on the latest software. Your brain.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark

I agree with this.

My primary sin was not fixing the compass light.

I will do that very first thing when I'm back on the boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 07:31   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Probably the closest:
https://www.bandg.com/bg/series/h5000/

I think it is a very narrow use case that requires correction of heal angle to apparent wind direction. What really matters is repeatability. Build your polars to measurements taken on your boat, and as long as it is repeatable, that is what really matters.

Otherwise, you are going down a rabbit hole. Higher windspeed at the mast creates a different apparent wind angle than on deck. The reported windspeed on gribs is at a different height then the top of your mast, also affecting AWA, and there is significant up wash from the sails, and motion of the boat induces error.

I don't think there is a simple fix for all of that, but a complex computer can do it. But the use case is small.

If you are good at math/trig, you could try using the NEMA converter plugin in opencpn to make the calculations. But, the data sample rate might be too slow to produce acceptable results. Analog instruments into a computer with a high sample rate would produce the best results.

I agree with this, and the previous post.

It's a lot more complex than I imagined when I first started this.

So -- is it a fool's errand? Or not?

It seems like the H5000 is the gold standard for this, which can very well deal with the B&G MHU's which have spent years in wind tunnels.

I am however attracted to the CV7 which is less sensitive to heel and doesn't have any mechanical inertia issues to correct.

What about Sailmon? Or Occam?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 08:34   #119

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...I am however attracted to the CV7 which is less sensitive to heel and doesn't have any mechanical inertia issues to correct...
Why would CV7 be less sensitive to heel? It is my thought that the apparent wind angle at the sensor actually does change when the boat heels and any sensor, regardless of how it measures that angle, will experience the same change, which will affect the accuracy of the true wind calculation.

But anyhow, the adjustment for angle of heel is calculated in the display system in H5000. It would not matter which sensor is feeding the raw data.

The real question is, how important is that adjustment anyhow?
Old 14-09-2021, 08:45   #120

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...It’s good practice to pretend the stuff just failed and it keeps the best computer on the boat running on the latest software. Your brain...
We don't have to pretend. The stuff does fail often enough to give us plenty of practice.
(I was sitting below decks on Bumblee V the night before Sydney Hobart start with a few other navigators. We were trading drivers for the instrument systems. Some mates were also present who were bored with the process and wanted to get off to the bar. One forward hand asked rhetorically, "What difference does it make, it'll all be down an hour after the start anyhow?")
When the instruments are down you automatically switch to other clues about what is going on. This needs to be instinctive.

Always, the focus should be on sailing the vessel, not on repairing instruments or enabling a rarely used back-up system.

When things are stabilized there will be time to get the electronics going again. And on Monday morning you examine ways to prevent reoccurrence.

We can be certain that the OP knows this and his example indicated that he did it in that order. Good seamanship.

The reason for this thread is: Since a failure of the CV7 sensor wiring caused the system outage, and he's considering replacing that device, why not look at alternatives?

Tags
men, rum, wind