Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 08:58   #121

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m
Re: Wind Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Totally agree.

We seem to have lost sight of our objective.

With all these highly accurate wind sensors none compensate for the effect of heel angle on the measured apparent wind angle.

Assuming a mono sailing hard on the wind heels 20-25 degrees then the measured apparent wind angle would vary by up to 10% from the plane of the wind. Add on the calculations to obtain True Wind angle without taking into account leeway, drift and wave action and you always have a wholly in-accurate result.

The accuracy of a wind instrument is therefore relative to the boat and useful only in optimising the performance of "that" particular boat in those particular, largely unrepeatable, conditions.

Far better to have a sensor that gives a stable reading with minimum damping that provides a relatively constant, if inaccurate, input to your computations.

Given modern GPS, VMG to destination is a much better guide to performance, everything else is nice to have but secondary to the primary objective.
I agree on almost everything.
I would just like to add that the sails are always subjected to the apparent wind, in the same way as the sensor, with and without heel.

That is why I do not understand too much the concern of always knowing the real wind for trimming work (for that the classic tapes are better), I only partially understand it to establish a supposed layline and the theoretical tack and jibe angle.
We all know that the intensity and direction of the wind, and the set and drift are not universal constants, but we always rely on the assumption that they will not change for a certain time and will be the same throughout the regattas field. And this is almost never true.

In the wingssail video we have seen that the participating boats sail very close together most of the time, and they are all of the same type, that is, all subject to the same conditions. Here I only see advantage in the training of the crew. And so there is no way of knowing if a different strategy might turn out better because among other things, all participants are based on the same state-of-the-art electronics and software, and draw the same conclusions.

I have always found it convenient to get away from the dirty wind of others and carry out a thorough analysis of the local weather with its coastal gradients for such races (none of that is guessed by the on-board electronics because the tactic must also start on land days before...). And then wait for us to win the lottery with those tickets.
And if we talk about offshore racing, the constant analysis of the weather is even more decisive.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 09:25   #122

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Wind Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
I agree on almost everything.
I would just like to add that the sails are always subjected to the apparent wind, in the same way as the sensor, with and without heel.

That is why I do not understand too much the concern of always knowing the real wind for trimming work (for that the classic tapes are better), I only partially understand it to establish a supposed layline and the theoretical tack and jibe angle.
We all know that the intensity and direction of the wind, and the set and drift are not universal constants, but we always rely on the assumption that they will not change for a certain time and will be the same throughout the regattas field. And this is almost never true.

In the wingssail video we have seen that the participating boats sail very close together most of the time, and they are all of the same type, that is, all subject to the same conditions. Here I only see advantage in the training of the crew. And so there is no way of knowing if a different strategy might turn out better because among other things, all participants are based on the same state-of-the-art electronics and software, and draw the same conclusions...
Actually Tehani, though most all the racing boats have the same or similar state-of-the art electronics, the tactics and strategy selected based on the information flowing from those instruments varies significantly from boat to boat and plays a large part in the success or failure of the program. Proof of this is evidenced by Quantum's success (or lack of it) when Hutchinson was gone to work with the NYC America's Cup challenge. So the tactician matters more than the instruments.

HOWEVER, The ability to chose a successful tactic or strategy on the race course depends fully on the accurate, fast, and precise flow of data from the instruments, combined with the seat-of-the-pants skill of the tactician.

Without that Hutch would not be able to make a decision based on how many minutes to each layline, because the information from the instruments couldn't provide it. The distance to the layline and the choice of which tack or jibe to be on comes from good data or, lacking that, a superb intuitive sense from the sailors on board. The best of both gives a winning advantage.

The value of this level of precision to a cruiser is doubtful.

Tags
men, rum, wind