Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 16:26   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Walkie Talkie's

I considered getting the "battery" powered units...these typically take 4 AA bats x two units = 8 bats, probably around $8-10 for an 8 pack. Not sure how long these would have lasted, but assume a week or so. This could and would add up quickly, so opted for the " rechargeable" versions. Specs say 48 hours of usage on a charge and up to 7 days stand by time. 2.5 hours of re-charge time.

Talk is cheap though and I'll put these things thru' their paces and see if there is any truth to that.

If they prove to be a bust...in the trash they'll go....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 16:52   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

I am a huge fan of NiMH AA rechargeable batteries for this sort of thing. I have a 12v AA/AAA NiMH multi-charger on the boat that can charge 8 or 10 at once, and I use the Storacell holders to store them so I always have an extra set. I use Eneloop NiMH batteries in AA and AAA and think it's worth it but there are other good alternatives too. With Eneloops you can realistically expect to get at least 10 years out of them with anything other than intensive daily use, maybe more. When they're finally shot, you can replace them and keep using the electronics they go with.

With built-in lithium packs, you typically get around 5-7 years with occasional use and a well-designed pack, 1-2 years for intensive daily use like phones and laptops. Replacement can be problematic and often the electronics have to be tossed because the battery is done for....

I do worry a little about fire safety of the lithium battery powered electronics on the boat and try to avoid casually increasing the number of devices powered that way.
Old 27-03-2024, 17:26   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

These things use a built in polymer lithium battery. Exactly what that means I could not say, as my knowledge of bats is rather limited.
For $20, it is not a big investment.

Reading thru' the spec sheet today, I note these things have a 0.5W output, which is to say, not much. I was under the impression it was 2W, but may have misread that.

Nonetheless, with 0.5W output, I can't see these things transmitting more than 1 mile at best, and maybe 0.5 miles is more realistic number. I will put this to the test soon.

I could off course, spring some more $$$ and get a better quality unit, but for right now, will go with these and see how it goes. Amazon lists a wide variety of models and prices range from $20 to $200, so I guess you get what you pay for.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:04   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Using walkie talkies while anchoring is just plain courteous to those around you in an anchorage. No one wants to hear the constant "What?" and "I can't hear you" as the helmsman and the person dropping the anchor try to communicate when anchoring at night or in windy conditions. But get headphones and make certain that you do not have to push any buttons to speak to the other person. We have found them useful in many canyons and arroyos , where a cell phone signal is unavailable. Because they are not ubiquitous in anchorages and marinas, you can safely talk to other boaters about planned shore excursions, without having to announce your and your friend's boat name. Bad characters do listen in on VHF radios.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:20   #20

We purchased a pair of Motorola walkie talkies at a higher price point ($100/pair). We originally purchased for anchoring but prefer using hand signals. We have found them very useful when one of us is below sleeping. I especially like the vibrate-alert function. Battery life is excellent. On the downside, the remote vox mic/headset function does not work well and is not a replacement for marriage-aacer type headsets.

Motorola Solutions Talkabout T475... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KBP1RH7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

We have not tested the range but they seem pretty robust. Anchor to shore should be easy.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:48   #21

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Why not just go with a Standard Horizon VHF handheld and communicate through to the VHF on the nav station? I consider a waterproof handheld VHF an important piece of safety equipment on the dinghy. Motoring from the boat to a distant shore can be dicey and I really like to know that if I go over, swamp, whatever, I have that VHF on my belt to call for help. An examples when I felt it was useful included the anchorage for Cruz Bay customs on St. John. Especially if you end up at the east end of the anchorage, it is long way across a lee shore with a decent fetch and a lot of traffic. And given that US Customs & Im requires the entire crew to come in, the dinghy can be vulnerable to decent sized waves. Yes, I know, a VHF is not a substitute for a reasonable dinghy load, but I view this as a good belt and suspenders kind of thing.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:16   #22

We invested in a pair of Crew Talk Essential units.

I think they were originally designed for bikers as the on button is a motorbike!

That said, they offer a hands free continuous conversation and are waterproof (so they say)

Much easier on a boat if the crew need to communicate with the helm - no waving or shouting! Range approx 200yds.

Just need to put with the wife's heavy breathing while you're trying to line up on a pontoon!

Have heard them called "marriage savers"
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote