Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 14:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I
Used Radar and AP search, need direction!

Hello, just bought a 1989 Catalina 42. I want to add radar and autopilot. Most electronics are raymarine. Thinking of trying to integrate as much as I can and would like to find used to save some bucks. What is a desirable used Raymarine radar(head and radome) that isn't too old(can talk to other systems), and I'd have half a chance of finding one not too worn out. When I search its a little overwhelming, a hundred things come up and I'd love a couple pointers. Same with autopilot.
Thanks!!
Geoff
s/v Wippy
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 14:36   #2

Re: Used Radar and AP search, need direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
Hello, just bought a 1989 Catalina 42. I want to add radar and autopilot. Most electronics are raymarine. Thinking of trying to integrate as much as I can and would like to find used to save some bucks. What is a desirable used Raymarine radar(head and radome) that isn't too old(can talk to other systems), and I'd have half a chance of finding one not too worn out. When I search its a little overwhelming, a hundred things come up and I'd love a couple pointers. Same with autopilot.
Thanks!!
Geoff
s/v Wippy
I'm not sure. But personally I think when wanting to stay within Raymarine I'd either buy a modern Quantum radar or none. When going "with none" then add AIS instead, much cheaper. It's not the same but helpful nontheless.

Why do you want radar?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 14:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
I'm not sure. But personally I think when wanting to stay within Raymarine I'd either buy a modern Quantum radar or none. When going "with none" then add AIS instead, much cheaper. It's not the same but helpful nontheless.

Why do you want radar?
It's really nice to have when you're travelling in the fog or at night. Vessels don't show up on GPS, most things DON'T broadcast an AIS signal.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:20   #4

Exactly what Shrew said, from experience in fog and for watching for weather and for vessels I learned to pay attention to my radar on my last vessel. Probably no more ocean crossings on this vessel, but I definitely want to have it aboard.
Old 14-01-2022, 01:00   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

What Raymarine stuff do you currently have? Ray seems to make their stuff obsolete every 3 to 5 years. Your if you have them depth and wind might play well but matching random to display will get tricky. You definitely can not get a new Quantum radome to work on anything from the 90s.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 01:17   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Buy a 3G or 4G dome from Lowrance or B&G and connect to a computer using OpenCPN and buy an interface box for your old Raymarine instruments to connect them to the computer. Integrated system no need for a display head and upgradable bit by bit.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 07:12   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Look for used electronics on ebay.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:34   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Thanks!!
Geoff s/v Wippy
Given your goals I would try the Catalina owners forum and see who may be upgrading and willing to sell their old units at a reasonable price. They may also be able to recommend electronics packages that worked well on that model, i.e. where they located the hardware, not all RayMarine underdeck linear autopilots fit nicely on all boats. There is always the local craigslist and ebay, of course, but both these installations are going to take some time and effort before you find out if they really work. Lastly, integration of electronics can be a challenging endeavor as so many posts reveal.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 11:40   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

First, what models of Raymarine equipment (esp MFD) do you have? The older models used analog radars, while the newer ones are digital. The new radars and MFDs are clearly better, but on a budget adding an analog radar to an older existing MFD is still feasible. Just don’t try to add a digital scanner to an older MFD, or analog radar to an Axiom MFD, for example.
Model numbers will help.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 12:31   #10

Thank you All!
Yesterday I bought a used Raymarine RD424HD 4KW 24” radome from Max Electronics. The piece of existing RM equipment I’m interconnecting is the Raymarine A-series GPS w/ AIS. The other Ray stuff are all ST60: wind, knot meter, and depth meter.
My bigger insecurity or learning curve is how to proceed with matching a AUTOPILOT to the boat. I was hoping to be able to find used but am being advised that this isn’t necessarily equipment you want used. I would love any thoughts on how best to proceed. Yes, reaching out to the Catalina Forum for best unit advice. Thank you!!
Geoff
Old 15-01-2022, 03:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thank you All!
Yesterday I bought a used Raymarine RD424HD 4KW 24” radome from Max Electronics. The piece of existing RM equipment I’m interconnecting is the Raymarine A-series GPS w/ AIS. The other Ray stuff are all ST60: wind, knot meter, and depth meter.
My bigger insecurity or learning curve is how to proceed with matching a AUTOPILOT to the boat. I was hoping to be able to find used but am being advised that this isn’t necessarily equipment you want used. I would love any thoughts on how best to proceed. Yes, reaching out to the Catalina Forum for best unit advice. Thank you!!
Geoff
First thing, it isn't really necessary to buy a Raymarine AP nor do you need to interface everything. I sailed for years with a stand alone AP and did quite well with just turning a dial to set a compass course. No waypoints to goto needed.

Second you need to make some decisions about the drive. An AP generally has several parts: Controls, computer (which also has the power output to the drive), compass, rudder angle sensor and the drive.

There are a number of options for the drive. Most common are hydraulic, linear electric, electric motor drive to the helm or directly to the rudder. Each has advantages and disadvantages both in operation but importantly installation. Since the motor needs a lot of power to drive the boat the installation needs to be really solid and depending on the space and layout of the rudder and steering some drive types may not fit or work with your system.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 10:24   #12

Thanks Skipmac,
Like you my last boat had an independent AP; I'm completely open to replicating that on this vessel. Hoping some Catalina (42) knowledgeables will advise on any installation clues or best systems. The boat has chain/cable to rudder (new to me) (ie no hydraulics), and I'm trying to learn how much that changes compared with my past experience re installation and needs.
The hope is a couple 42' C owners will say "this is what I have and it's brilliant." And "don't do this!" What I've gathered so far is that I'll be looking at a linear drive system.... I think.
Thanks very much for the response.
Geoff
s/v Wippy
Old 17-01-2022, 07:45   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks Skipmac,
Like you my last boat had an independent AP; I'm completely open to replicating that on this vessel. Hoping some Catalina (42) knowledgeables will advise on any installation clues or best systems. The boat has chain/cable to rudder (new to me) (ie no hydraulics), and I'm trying to learn how much that changes compared with my past experience re installation and needs.
The hope is a couple 42' C owners will say "this is what I have and it's brilliant." And "don't do this!" What I've gathered so far is that I'll be looking at a linear drive system.... I think.
Thanks very much for the response.
Geoff
s/v Wippy
My current boat has the same setup I think; a short bit of bicycle type chain over a gear attached to the shaft of the wheel that connects to cables (wire inside a sleeve type) that run to the steering quadrant.

The linear mechanical drive is bolted to a heavy, glassed in pad by the quadrant the attaches to a short tiller arm attached to the rudder post. This arrangement is nice since it give you a backup steering option if the chain, cable or any part on that end fails.

On a previous boat with the same steering I added another gear to the shaft of the wheel and then bolted a motor with a gear on its shaft to the underside of the cockpit floor under that gear and ran a chain around both gears. Can be an easier installation depending on your boat. Just have to figure out the right size gears and to be really good, an tensioner pulley for the chain.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 15:16   #14

I was in a similar situation and here is what I would recommend:

Axiom 7 or Axiom 9 (used is OK, look on fishing message boards or ebay)
Evolution Sail wheel autopilot (new, don't bother with used)
HD digital or Quantum radar (used is OK if you can find)
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, radar