Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 19:27   #1

Suggestion for MFD Compatible with Ray C120

Looking for uggestions for MFD to add at helm of 34 foot sailboat. Primarilly a coastal cruiser and club racer. Future use would include coastal transit to Florida from New England and transit to and cuising in the Bahamas, possibly Eastern Carribean via Bermuda. Current nav instrument is a single Raymarine C120 at the chart table. There is a Ray i70s at the heml and theRay autopilot is in the cockpit but not at the helm. Boat has conventional Raymarine radar tied to the C120. Beat has NMA backbone and everything existing seems to play well with each other.

I want to add a second 9" MFD at the helm compatible with the C120 and existing radar, for navigation and racing purposes. I had been looking at a B&G Vulcan because I like the sailsteer features, however it apparently is not suitable for use as a second display. The B&G Zeuss is just ridiculously expensive.

I am not familiar with Ray or Garmin's sailboat offerings and would appreciate suggestions. Would like to keep it below $1500 if possible.

Thank you.

Jim
Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 19:34   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Suggestion for MFD Compatible with Ray C120

If you have Raymarine stuff stick with that line.
Old 06-03-2023, 19:41   #3

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Axiom 9 RV replaced my E80 display. I like the BG Zeus too but couldn't rationalize the expense of a whole new system. I needed a translator to run the newer Seatalk NG to ST 2000 data stream. Seems to be a nice unit so far.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 20:44   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

If you have a c120, you probably have a seatalk v1 network, which is not compatible with seatalkng (the new one) unless you use their converter.

We have a c120 as the backup inside, and an axiom 12 outside. We have both a seatalk v1 and seatalkng with the converter, but sometimes have intermittent problems with the older seatalk. That may very well be our install and still trying to chase it down.
Old 06-03-2023, 23:10   #5

the real awswer is nothing is compatible to share radar with a c120. even a 2nd c120 can't network, because the c series does not have a network port.

what you needed was an E120, then you could have added another used E series. but that would have been your only choice.

These things are 15 years old. personally I would buy 2 new screens and radar and redo the whole system.

or buy 1 new of anything you want and you will have 2 independent screens, and no radar at helm
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 23:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Let’s start with your stuff is old!

Ok, now I suggest you do NOT make the mistake I made. There is no reason to stick with Ray. If you are serious about racing B&G is the standard your want to go with. In one traumatic expenditure get a B&G Vulcan and the B&G wind instrument. There is a converter to link the depth and speed data from Ray to Seatalk NG/NMEA2000. This gizmo will also let the B&G run the Ray autopilot.

Why a Vulcan vs a Zeus? I am asssuming the MFD is on the bulkhead. While I loathe touchscreens offshore, on a small boat it gives you the biggest display. At some point in the future you can add the remote keyboard. Of course if the MFD is t the helm, clo sides going with the Zeus.

When it is time for the AP, avoid the wheelpilot. Go for the linear drive and a B&G AP.

Please check back if you need help spending a few more boat bucks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 13:51   #7

I'm assuming an alternative would be to disconnect and toss the existing radar, leave the C120 as a freestanding unit at the chart table and then put in a new MFD with new radome at the helm?
Old 08-03-2023, 03:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspell View Post
I'm assuming an alternative would be to disconnect and toss the existing radar, leave the C120 as a freestanding unit at the chart table and then put in a new MFD with new radome at the helm?

You could… … I wouldn’t.

Better option is to get a basic iPad, purchase annual subscription to iNavX and connect the device to the B&G WiFi.

Last I checked new B&G devices have a non-proprietary data string that tablets and laptops can connect to.

That is much smarter than looking at 10 year old charts.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 08-03-2023, 16:40   #9

Good point. The B&G can be completely mirrored on an Ipad
Old 09-03-2023, 05:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspell View Post
Good point. The B&G can be completely mirrored on an Ipad

Mirroring sucks!!! It is slow. Using the data in iNavX or OpenCPN is much better