Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41   #1

Boat: Regal 4260 44 foot
Upgrade a Ray C80 to c120

Does anyone know if upgrading a c80 to c120 requires new transducers and insane wiring? Also I am trying to upgrade my Ray 215 vhf radio. Can I bolt in a Ray 55 with all the same wiring, ie: remote mic?

Thanks,
Aaronjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Upgrade a Ray C80 to c120

Aaronjr, the transducers are identical because Raymarine use modular systems. The wiring is probably the same, can't say on the VHF, we have the 215 but haven't used a 55 to compare it to.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Aaronjr,

Pete7's right about the modular nature of RM's components and instruments.

If I remember rightly the 215 was the precursor of the newer 218 - a link to the manual for the 218 and 55 is below (same manual!) - the remote mic cabling should be identical:

http://www.raymarine.com/GetFile.asp...7&categoryId=3
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44   #4

Awesome, thanks.

I think I will upgrade to the 218 and c120. I just loathe the thought of running wires and reconfigs. Sounds like I can do a plug and play on these two.

I assume that if I add something like the Raymarine e120, that will require transducers etc... ?
Old 03-03-2012, 14:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronjr View Post
Awesome, thanks.

I think I will upgrade to the 218 and c120. I just loathe the thought of running wires and reconfigs. Sounds like I can do a plug and play on these two.

I assume that if I add something like the Raymarine e120, that will require transducers etc... ?
I guess you're thinking about the new c-series and e-series? The fancy slick looking ones with the HybridTouch system...

There generally isn't much difference on the inputs available compared with the old e (none widescreen) series with the glaring exception of a SeatalkHS network connector (which is just propriatorized Cat5), a video input and the addition of an internal GPS receiver already built into the MFD. If your old instruments are NMEA0183 (highly probable) or SeatalkNG then you shouldn't have an issue. If you've got NMEA2k systems then you can get a SeatalkNG converter if required.

RM also sells a helm-mount adaptor kit so you can fit your new e-series into the place of the old, similar sized unit. The same also applies to the new c-series MFDs too.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out ok!
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:16   #6

Do think it would be better to move to the e series? I am sure that would require wiring and separate transducer right?
Old 03-03-2012, 15:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Do think it would be better to move to the e series? I am sure that would require wiring and separate transducer right?
That is going to depend on the price. Can you still buy a new C80/C120 series or are they now the new C90 wide screen types. I have a feeling that the C80/C120 wont be around for much longer, in fact its the new one that's listed.

Now if you can find the older C80/C120 at a good price then its a really nice bit of kit, but as I say it will depend on the price. Not sure the E Series is worth the extra. Also check the power requirements, our C80 has quite a heavy duty power supply cable, for a good reason. The echo sounder units which power the transducers are the same.

If you are thinking of the latest wide screen units, sorry can't help too pricey for me to consider.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21   #8

Quote:
I can tell you what made me choose the C-series wide over the E-series and maybe that will help you with your decision.

First of all, like most other people, when i've got a passage planned in unfamiliar waters for the following day i'll have a glance at paper-charts and do a bit other planning with dividers etc. That'll lead to some port/anchorage decisions while be confirmed by flipping through a pilot guide. I'll then look at putting the route into the chartplotter so that I don't have to worry about it the next day. Nothing out of the ordinary here!

After some very cold nights shivering in front of the chartplotter zooming, panning and dropping waypoints I realized that this step would be much better done down below.

The C-series (wide) plotters have a SeatalkHS connection. As I mentioned before, it's really just Cat5e with funky plugs to make it more difficult to use standard cabling rather than RM's own. It meant I could run a cable down to the nav-station from the chartplotter and plug my laptop straight into that.. using RM's RNS software I could pull up a 'soft' copy of the chartplotter remotely, even to point of being able to use the charts on the Navionics Platinum+ CF card which is located in the plotter. This way I could sit comfortably downstairs and do everything I would normally do, preparation wise, at the helm.

This networking capability also permits you to connect multiple MFDs together, so you could have a mini-plotter at the helm, and a bigger one downstairs or any other combination as long as each carries the SeatalkHS port - their only needs to be one 'master' on the network carrying the charts on a card, and all of the other plotters/laptops will use that one chart down the network - so money is saved here.

The C-series wide can also use a wide variety of charts, 3D charts and overlays. The SeatalkHS also is the default way of connecting to the new RM HD radar systems. There's an option to connect a video feed in too, if required. You can overlap radar on charts etc.

The C-series also has a built in 12-station GPS, it connects to your autopilot either through SeatalkNG (basically NMEA2k with funky plugs again and wiring conventions) and/or to your instruments using NMEA0183 or SeatalkNG or both. It also acts as a comms hub master, so will combine all of the different datasets and re-output them onto NMEA0183 if required (with the exception of the SeatalkHS data).

When I looked at all of the above and then compared with the E-series, i realised that there wasn't a great deal of difference except for the price and the fact that the E-series can also run from a large computerized master box. The impression I got was that the E-series was intended more for the super-yacht or large cruiser market, where major systems integration over many stations is more the vogue. However, for most people with a sail stretched above their heads the C-series would not only be more than adequate, but also offer some leeway when it comes to future-expansion of the systems.

When I went to buy the C120W, it was in the months just after the stock market crash and there were a lot of 'boat show specials' taking place even at websites not associated with any boat shows! I therefore bought a C140W which was the same price as the C120W for some reason or other.

I also bought a Digital Yacht iAIS system which plugs onto one end of the NMEA0183 system and has a higher speed output (AIS data) which runs back to the chartplotter to provide AIS data. The system is mounted inside the binnacle to save wiring and has a WLAN antenna. Basically, you connect to this with your iPad, iPhone, iPod etc. and you can have a near copy of your plotter on your remote device with all of the boat's NMEA data there too (using iNAVx or Digital Yacht's free app) in addition to AIS data.
The new C- and E series plotters have WIFI built in, and RM offers a free app which can connect to these plotters and do a similar thing, but without the AIS data being there. It's quite handy when you're in the forward v-berth and you want to see what's going on - also means you can attend to false anchor-drag alarms without having to get out of bed!

Hope the above ramble helps your decision.

Phil
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 00:00   #9

Here's a screenshot of the iNavX screen on my iPad which relates to the iAIS system i mention above, below that is the RM viewer which works with the uber-new MFDs. Both currently show "no con" at the moment as iPad and I are currently in a lounge at Amsterdam airport:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2087538530.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	38298

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-434257187.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	38299
Old 07-03-2012, 00:00   #10
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

We upgraded fron c80 to c120, just a straight swap. I thought the C series were pretty archaic but reading Cavaliers post above it seems the possibilities are endless.

Anybody else gone this route with C series, would love to learn a bit more about what and how is possible
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 06:13   #11

Thank you, that has helped me as I just have one older C80 CE0191 and a Raystar 125, SR50 Siri sat unit, and a j box, j block and cables. I am attempting to have both helms (flybridge & lower main station) wired so I can remove the unit from the fly and take it below when weather hits etc. and just remove it from the trunion bracket and plug in at either helm. I have assembled this package with help from raymarine website moderator and eBay, cruisers forum and the hull truth web site and yes I am over budget and wondering if I just should have spent the money on a newer system? Of course on our new 30 year old boat there is much to be addressed as she is very nice but the previous owners first boat so I'm playing catchup on needed repairs and maint items (mostly luxury items to a real sailor) but I am one of those "its on here for a reason an it needs to work" people. Damn I will never drink a drink with those ice cubes in it but by God I want it to work! & the fart fan in the aft head as well any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Diligence1 is offline   Reply With Quote