Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 04:42   #1

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Seeing my own AIS transmission on Raymarine plotter

I have successfully connected my Matsutec HP-33A AIS transponder to my Raymarine E7D chartplotter via RS232/RS422 NEMA0187. The AIS targets show up on the chartplotter as they should, very proud of myself!

However, when I set the AIS to transmit, there is a target over my own boat, and if I turn on Collision warning in the chartplotter, I get constant warnings about my own vessel.

I've looked everywhere for a way to tell the E7D what my MMSI is, but can't find it. Does anyone have a solution? Why does the AIS send the position of itself? Surely it should filter it's own transmission? Frustrating as it was almost perfect.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:10   #2

Re: Seeing my own AIS transmission on Raymarine plotter

Are there plotter settings that say “ignore AIVDO” or anything like that? If so try turning that on.

An AIS transponder sends out an AIVDM message for every vessel it detects and an AIVDO for your vessel when it transmits. The plotter May need to be told to ignore the AIVDO messages.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I have successfully connected my Matsutec HP-33A AIS transponder to my Raymarine E7D chartplotter via RS232/RS422 NEMA0187. The AIS targets show up on the chartplotter as they should, very proud of myself!

However, when I set the AIS to transmit, there is a target over my own boat, and if I turn on Collision warning in the chartplotter, I get constant warnings about my own vessel.

I've looked everywhere for a way to tell the E7D what my MMSI is, but can't find it. Does anyone have a solution? Why does the AIS send the position of itself? Surely it should filter it's own transmission? Frustrating as it was almost perfect.
RTFM.

It's in there. Really it is. You have to tell the plotter your own MMSI number so it knows what to ignore in collision calculations.

{Edit} If you can't find it in the operation manual, try the installation manual....
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 20:45   #4

do you have a AIS receive vhf radio as well hooked up? that is picking up the transmission of the transmitter?

I have never seen a transmitting AIS give out it's own target.

I've only even seen mmsi entered into simrad screens. I have never seen it on any other brand. but I have never needed too.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
RTFM.

It's in there. Really it is. You have to tell the plotter your own MMSI number so it knows what to ignore in collision calculations.

{Edit} If you can't find it in the operation manual, try the installation manual....
I read the manuals extensively before posting this request, to no avail. I don't think the AIS should be sending this target, so the MFD isn't the problem. I was hoping someone had solved the issue previously.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:53   #6

Quote:
I don't think the AIS should be sending this target, so the MFD isn't the problem.
The AIS may indeed be sending the info but it shouldn't matter as the MFD should ignore it, if you are using NMEA0183. The situation is a little different if you are using NMEA2000 aka Seatalk NG. For example our Vesper AIS does send information on our vessel but it's correctly encoded as an AIVDO message and the MFD ignores it.

I have had the same problem using a Garmin MFD. It was fine for a couple of seasons when I used NMEA0183 but when I changed to NMEA2000 we started colliding with ourselves, so I've been here before.

I can see a few possibilities that could cause your problem:

1 The AIS is outputting your own vessel's information as an AIVDM message, this would be wrong behaviour on the part of the AIS.

2 The MFD is receiving an AIVDO and interpreting it as an AIVDM. This would be wrong behaviour on the part of the MFD.

3 You are using a NMEA2000/Seatalk NG link rather than a NMEA0183 one, or even both.

As a start:

A: Is there a facility in the MFD to view, or even better capture, the incoming NMEA data stream? If so can you show us what you receive?

B: Did you check the AIS configuration so see if there are options to suppress own vessel information, aka AIVDO?
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
The AIS may indeed be sending the info but it shouldn't matter as the MFD should ignore it, if you are using NMEA0183. The situation is a little different if you are using NMEA2000 aka Seatalk NG. For example our Vesper AIS does send information on our vessel but it's correctly encoded as an AIVDO message and the MFD ignores it.

I have had the same problem using a Garmin MFD. It was fine for a couple of seasons when I used NMEA0183 but when I changed to NMEA2000 we started colliding with ourselves, so I've been here before.

I can see a few possibilities that could cause your problem:

1 The AIS is outputting your own vessel's information as an AIVDM message, this would be wrong behaviour on the part of the AIS.

2 The MFD is receiving an AIVDO and interpreting it as an AIVDM. This would be wrong behaviour on the part of the MFD.

3 You are using a NMEA2000/Seatalk NG link rather than a NMEA0183 one, or even both.

As a start:

A: Is there a facility in the MFD to view, or even better capture, the incoming NMEA data stream? If so can you show us what you receive?

B: Did you check the AIS configuration so see if there are options to suppress own vessel information, aka AIVDO?

^^^ This is correct and is how my "own ship" doesn't trigger alarms. If I want to see it, however, I call up MarineTraffic.com...she's right there!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

The report of your own vessel shows your own MMSI?
By the way, to program your AIS instrument with its MMSI takes PC connected to the AIS and special piece of software. It is not user programmable.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:13   #9

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

My AIS signal shows up on the displays but doesn’t set off a alarm because the mmsi number is programmed into each vhf. I have 2 Standard Horizon displays on the flybridge and a SH GX 2150 vhf. The 12” CP500 is connected to the AIS transponder, the 7” CP300i receives AIS through the vhf. My boat shows up on the CP300i but it ignores giving a cpa warning. All of this is automatically accomplished according to the techs at Standard Horizon as their gear are programmed to recognize their mmsi. The lower helm display a CP590 will also show the icon with out any warning it gets AIS information from a 2nd vhf at the lower helm.
In your situation the AIS information received for your boat isn’t being recognized by the receiver as being you so it sends a warning to the display. Are you receiving AIS through the transponder or in another way?
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 16:06   #10

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

FWIW, I have a Standard Horizon VHF with AIS receive. It has my MMSI number in it. I recently installed a Vesper transceiver, also with my MMSI number in it. Neither device showed my boat as a collision target for itself. This was not something that I had to set.

I can see local AIS targets. I can see my boat on an AIS website. I can’t see my own boat directly on either of my AIS displays.

Is it possible that your MMSI is programmed incorrectly, like mistyping an “oh” O, for a zero 0?
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 16:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Quote:

Had the same issue with my SIMRAD MFD when installed 4 years ago. I read the manual, followed the instructions, solved the problem - wish it was that simple for your situation. Maybe call tech support. Good luck!
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 16:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The report of your own vessel shows your own MMSI?
By the way, to program your AIS instrument with its MMSI takes PC connected to the AIS and special piece of software. It is not user programmable.
My AIS knows it's MMSI, it shows up on marinetraffic.com.
Old 02-06-2019, 16:22   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

On my B&G I had to enter the MMSI into the Zeus3. Then the MFD ignored it and I never see it on the screen.
Old 02-06-2019, 16:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
My AIS signal shows up on the displays but doesn’t set off a alarm because the mmsi number is programmed into each vhf. I have 2 Standard Horizon displays on the flybridge and a SH GX 2150 vhf. The 12” CP500 is connected to the AIS transponder, the 7” CP300i receives AIS through the vhf. My boat shows up on the CP300i but it ignores giving a cpa warning. All of this is automatically accomplished according to the techs at Standard Horizon as their gear are programmed to recognize their mmsi. The lower helm display a CP590 will also show the icon with out any warning it gets AIS information from a 2nd vhf at the lower helm.
In your situation the AIS information received for your boat isn’t being recognized by the receiver as being you so it sends a warning to the display. Are you receiving AIS through the transponder or in another way?
I am getting AIS targets from the Matsutec AIS to the MFD via NEMA0183. The MFD does not know the MMSI of the boat. The MFD has two inputs, number two can do the 38kb data rate of the AIS, and the data is perfect. I get all the AIS data such as course, SOG etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 16:48   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

Odd stuff. I am using the Matsutec HP-33A with a Raymarine C120, connected via the serial port and the NEMEA0183 protocol.

I do not have this problem and I do not remember needing to program my MMSI into the plotter (nor do I remember seeing a facility to do so.)

You should probably check if there is a firmware update available for the ED7, these are the kinds of bugs that often show up and are addressed in early software releases.

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine, transmission