Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 17:06   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Seeing my own AIS transmission on Raymarine plotter

There have been several other threads of this exact problem. The following link is to one of them.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-188565.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 17:58   #17

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There have been several other threads of this exact problem. The following link is to one of them.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-188565.html
I tried that but they were all for other reasons, such as two AIS receivers on the network.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 18:03   #18

Boat: Phantom 33 and Coresound 20 Mk3

On my Lowrance Ti I simply went into the vessels menu and input my MMSI as own vessel and it stopped showing up on the display. There really should be a menu on your device that enables you to read the details of all detected vessels and allow you to self-identify your own MMSI.
Dranflydbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 13:34   #19

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The report of your own vessel shows your own MMSI?
By the way, to program your AIS instrument with its MMSI takes PC connected to the AIS and special piece of software. It is not user programmable.

Yes, it is user programmable with a Matsutec, just not with the transponders you buy from shops in the US and various other countries where consumers are considered incapable of punching a few numbers in without screwing it up.

I can only say that we have a Matsutec and also a second AIS receiver (a Standard Horizon Radio with AIS receiver) and have not had this problem because each unit knows the MMSI. My bet is on the MFD not knowing your MMSI no. There surely must be a way to fix this. Surely! Call the manufacturer and refuse to be fobbed-off without a decent answer!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 18:10   #20

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Yes, it is user programmable with a Matsutec, just not with the transponders you buy from shops in the US and various other countries where consumers are considered incapable of punching a few numbers in without screwing it up.

I can only say that we have a Matsutec and also a second AIS receiver (a Standard Horizon Radio with AIS receiver) and have not had this problem because each unit knows the MMSI. My bet is on the MFD not knowing your MMSI no. There surely must be a way to fix this. Surely! Call the manufacturer and refuse to be fobbed-off without a decent answer!
The AIS knows it's AIS, it does not show itself on the radar screen. I set it during the initial setup.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 11:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Couple of things...

1.) A Raymarine MFD does not have a facility to tell it your vessels MMSI, it relies on the AIVDO sentence coming from the AIS Transponder to the Plotter via NMEA. So if you are seeing your own vessel, something is wrong there as you are probably aware.

2.) The e7d has two NMEA0183 ports and they both support 38400 speed, the speed is configurable on both ports. Port 1 has input and output support, Port 2 is input only. For AIS, port 2 is fine because you don't really need to output anything from the MFD to the AIS.
Make sure that the HP-33A data2 outout is set to AIS

Question.. What NMEA version did you set in the HP-33 data2 settings? Try changing the version in those settings.

What model of VHF radio do you have on the boat?

3.) There is no facility for ignoring a specific NMEA sentence in the e7d, if it understands the sentence and is receiving it, it will process it.

Do you have the NMEA0183 wiring going directly from the HP-33 to the e7d? Or is there anything in the middle of that connection?

Is there anything connected to Port 1 of the e7d?

What devices are on the vessel connected to the SeaTalkNG network?

Have you gone into the e7 diagnostics menu and looked at the NMEA port buffer to see if AIVDO sentences are being received on that port? You should be able to see GP***, AIVDM, AIVDO, etc sentences being received. If not, then there is an issue with the HP33 or cabling, or configuration of the HP33.

Firmware update.. I did not find any AIS specific fix in the notes from Raymarine, but it doesn't mean it's not a valuable exercise to upgrade. What version is on the e7d now? Is it the legacy software or are you running Lighthouse now?
Old 18-06-2019, 12:00   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Own ship sentence (if transmitted) must be ignored by the plottter. This is done either by 'ignore own ship sentence' setting or by the plotter getting programmed with your own mmsi.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine, transmission