Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 13:58   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
Raymarine AIS collision warning - my own boat

I have Raymarine MFD with Lighthouse 17.46 software and SRT based class B ais transponder connected via NMEA2K.
The MFD shows not only AIS targets as expected, but also my own boat as a red target and if i turn on collision warnings the alarm is being triggered by my own boat instantly, making this most important security feature useless.
I have checked the data sent to the network and there are correct AIVDO messages transmitted by the AIS.
I am not very familiar with AIS protocol, but i would expect the devices on the local network will recognize the host vessels ID from AIVDO messages and ignore this MMSI. I have spoken to local Raymarine dealer who told NMEA sentences containing own vessels data should not be transmitted.
Am i missing something or is it another "vendor lock-in" trick?
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:19   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Raymarine AIS collision warning - my own boat

Why not forget the dealer and call the manufacturer?
Old 04-08-2017, 18:00   #3

Do you have two ais? Ie a receiving only vhf and also the transmitting ais? Hooked to the plotter?

If not, your ais is probably defective if it's sending its own data. It would 't have anything to do with the plotter.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:09   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Read the manual for the MFD. You have to tell it the MMSI of your boat I think.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Do you have two ais? Ie a receiving only vhf and also the transmitting ais? Hooked to the plotter?

If not, your ais is probably defective if it's sending its own data. It would 't have anything to do with the plotter.
Hi smac999, very good hint . I indeed do have one transmitting AIS and another receiving AIS build into ICOM IC M-506, that was ment as a backup device. I also somehow came to same conclusion this might be a problem, the VHF radio is connected to NMEA2K network to get GPS data and it also sends AIS data to the N2K network and i cannot find a way to disable only AIS to be sent to network, it is also overloading the network with redundant data.

In spite of this i would expect the MFD device to recognize own vessel id and skip it.

I know i can disconnect the VHF from N2K but then the GPS data needed for distress will be missing... or acquired from different source, looking for some better solution.
Old 05-08-2017, 19:33   #6

How would the mfd know who you are? I've only seen a couple that know. The simrads can be told. Normally That is the job of the ais to just not send it. Try disconnecting the radio and see if it solves your issue. If it does you'll have to find another solution. Maybe Feed it gps via nmea183
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
How would the mfd know who you are? I've only seen a couple that know. The simrads can be told. Normally That is the job of the ais to just not send it. Try disconnecting the radio and see if it solves your issue. If it does you'll have to find another solution. Maybe Feed it gps via nmea183
The MFD could get own vessels id from $AIVDO sentence sent by active AIS unit to the local network. I would also expect option to enter the ID's to be ignored in alarms.

I'll also try to contact ICOM support for this issue, ICOM VHF has the same MMSI programmed (for DSC and distress function) and maybe should not send received own vessels data in AIVDM sentences or at least allow filtering.

Tags
ais, boat, collision, marine, raymarine