Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 05:03   #16

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Gord
For a treasure of your value I'm sure they would make an exception

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:46   #17

I keep a handheld in the cockpit, rather than have a remote for the primary that's down in the cabin. You really should have a handheld around anyway, so that's why the idea of getting a remote seemed a little $$ over kill for me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:06   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I keep a handheld in the cockpit, rather than have a remote for the primary that's down in the cabin. You really should have a handheld around anyway, so that's why the idea of getting a remote seemed a little $$ over kill for me.
A good idea for close or local cruising, but when off shore, having the antenna 60' above the water seems a bit safer.

e.g. CG emergency calls, port entry or as an example; to get to my marina I have to round a river bend before getting to a high traffic bride. They require a 1 hour notice for opening........................_/)
Old 11-01-2008, 11:15   #19

Boat: Trismus 37
Thanks Gord, I second Cooper in his appreciation of your research skills, now I have to try to get my apathetic supplier to get me some.
Thanks again.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17   #20
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Prefer the lower traffic ones myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
before getting to a high traffic bride. They require a 1 hour notice for opening........................_/)

But if experience is important....

I also have a RAM mike for my cockpit - installed the connector in one of the pukas so it is out of the sun when it is in (when sailing). Otherwise it is out and down below. I use a contact cleaner about every fourth time - keeps it from acting funny.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:44   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
.. I use a contact cleaner about every fourth time - keeps it from acting funny.
Thomas points out the first principle.
Electrical contacts must be clean, to achieve a good & reliable low-resistance electric connection.
Clean contacts must be sealed. Contact reliability will be compromised by various types of contact contaminations, as corrosion products, particles (salt, dirt), polymers or carbon deposits.

Most robust connectors can be cleaned with an abrasive*; but an abrasive is not recommended for plated* contacts.

* Some connectors have a “delicate” electrical plating (silver, gold, palladium,, tin, nickel etc).

Spray-on electrical contact cleaners are usually simply compressed air, with a cleaning agent that evaporates, such as isopropyl alcohol.

Conductive or Dielectric grease is only applied after the contacts have been thoroughly cleaned.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 08:40   #22

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
My ram is wireless and also allows me to send a message to my mate (read admiral) on the fordeck from the cockpit base radio to the ram or its' headset - headset prefered as she can answer me back while having both hands free and of course the reply conversation is quiet and no misinterpretation or hurt feelings from hollering to be heard.

This may be an effective answer to some of the 'yelling and screaming' problems outlined in that thread.

The headset idea may cause shudders of distaste among the old salts and purists however once you've tried it, communications and companionship are very favourably enhanced and it is only really used during more complicated maneuvres like docking or anchoring.