Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 06:39   #1036

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: OpenPlotter project

As this is the open plotter thread my question is how to get the Ship module bluetooth to connect to raspberry pi. It pairs but the raspberry error message is that no services are available. I tried other bluetooth devices and get the same message on the Pi so it seems I need to change some setting on the Pi.
Old 28-01-2019, 07:05   #1037
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
The config settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.88.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server box checked.
DHCP server range: 192.168.88.10-254
NAT box checked.
Bridge all LAN ports unchecked.

These were the defaults which worked when connected directly to the win10 laptop. Colin.
This is probably a bit late for Colin but maybe it will get someone else going with their Groove.

I have made a basic default Groove script that will set any Groove up as a CPE (station) with a DHCP Server on the LAN and a DHCP client on the wireless (WAN). There is a firewall on the Groove but no login password is set. You should add this by using the Password and Confirm Password boxes in the lower right corner of the Quick Set page and then hitting APPLY.

The Script file is contained in a PDF titled "Groove Default Script" found at https://www.islandtimepc.com/downloads.

This PDF contains a script that will set a Groove as a station. The IP is 192.168.88.1, there is no login password. The Groove LAN is a DHCP server giving out 192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254. This is a good starting point to learn how to set up a Groove on your boat.

There are several ways to install a script. The steps below are the easiest to write.

1. copy the text to your clipboard.
2. access your Groove using Winbox. Go to System->Reset Configuration, check mark "Do Not Backup" and "No Default Configuration then Click "Reset Configuration". This will remove the current configuration on your Groove.
3. When the Groove is accessible again go back in with Winbox using the MAC address and Click on the "New Terminal" button.* This opens the Console.
4. In the Console "Right Click" on the cursor and choose "Paste". The information at the beginning of the text will come in and then the script will sit for 10 seconds before the actual script runs.

When the script is done you should have a Groove set as a basic station. Close the Console and click the "Disconnect" button on the Quick Set page and the Groove should be scanning for 2.4ghz AP's. If your Groove is plugged into a router WAN port and you connect to an AP with internet then your router will distribute the internet signal to any wireless devices that connect to it.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:48   #1038

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sailoog,

Is there any possibility of getting weather_routing updated to be current?
The current code right now, can be found here https://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi

The version in openplotter fails to use gribs. The grib format has been updated in the new version.

One of your users would like to use weather_routing. Alternatively, please provide the steps for him to update the plugin himself and build it. That would be very useful and could go into the wiki.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:45   #1039
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sailoog,

Is there any possibility of getting weather_routing updated to be current?
The current code right now, can be found here https://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi

The version in openplotter fails to use gribs. The grib format has been updated in the new version.

One of your users would like to use weather_routing. Alternatively, please provide the steps for him to update the plugin himself and build it. That would be very useful and could go into the wiki.
Don't think it's an openplotter issue, just updated all plugins so the latest one in the repository is this one >

Build instructions for linux are in the git, not really something openplotter would get involved with.
https://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi

Though usually compiling puts it in a different directory than when installing via apt-get so a little google might be needed to find where to move it when compiled.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:01   #1040

Thanks for asking.
Seems openplotter will not update so will have to do it locally.
To far from my comfort/knowledge zone but i will ask some local guys for help
I will let you know if/ when it works
Ovdsande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:06   #1041
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovdsande View Post
Thanks for asking.
Seems openplotter will not update so will have to do it locally.
To far from my comfort/knowledge zone but i will ask some local guys for help
I will let you know if/ when it works
I might b able to compile on my Pi - what model do you have? I'm Pi3 (not B+)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:10   #1042

Too bad!
I have the 3+......
Ovdsande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:57   #1043

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

What is the situation with OpenPlotter not booting from an SSD?

I have a Pi3B+, Raspian will happily boot from any usb drive or SSD I install, but OpenPlotter doesn't.

I'm beginning to think that there is some kind of issue with the Kernel that OpenPlotter uses in that the firmware for the USB isn't loaded into it at boot like it is in regular Raspbian Stretch.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:50   #1044
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

I have a Pi3B+, Raspian will happily boot from any usb drive or SSD I install, but OpenPlotter doesn't.

I'm beginning to think that there is some kind of issue with the Kernel that OpenPlotter uses in that the firmware for the USB isn't loaded into it at boot like it is in regular Raspbian Stretch.
Some guys on the openplotter forum boot from usb drive so sounds like it can be done.
Old 09-05-2019, 15:18   #1045

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Maybe this will help you:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...otmodes/msd.md
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 15:25   #1046
Marine Service Provider

Try to read this tread on the openplotter forum: Booting from USB
Quote:

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 08:45   #1047

Hi, I'm having trouble getting the RTL8192EU driver to work with my RealTek Wifi dongle and am wondering if someone has some ideas.

The linux kernel version shown by uname -a:
Linux openplotter 4.14.34-v7+ #1110 SMP Mon Apr 16 15:18:51 BST 2018 armv7l
The OpenPlotter version is 1.0.0 alpha (I cannot currently update because it can't access the Internet)

lsusb shows:
0bda:818b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Google told me that the chipset is an RTL8192EU. I downloaded the driver - 8192eu-4.14.34-v7-1110.tar.gz, unpacked it and ran ./install.sh

I rebooted and ran ifconfig but it isn't showing the wireless interface. It only shows wlan1, which is the internal wifi chip for me.

I also checked in /lib/modules/4.14.34-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless for the rtl8192eu driver but do not see it anywhere.
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:20   #1048

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

Quote:

How have you installed OpenPlotter ? I made many istallations using the procedure described in this post Booting from USB ;
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:11   #1049

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Sorry this was solved a long time ago. Can't remember what the issue was, perhaps noobs vs img or something like that.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 03:35   #1050

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I am trying to set up remote monitoring on the boat and build on the openplotter. Victron has software that will read their Smart solar controller on a Pi so they say but several things I don't understand. The instructions have you downloading and unzipping to an SD card for the Pi. I want to just put it as an additional program on the Pi and still have open plotter, Can I get pointed to instruction on how to do this? Secondly the link shows many files https://updates.victronenergy.com/fe.../raspberrypi2/ . How can I determine which file is needed