Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 03:40   #1051

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I am trying to set up remote monitoring on the boat and build on the openplotter. Victron has software that will read their Smart solar controller on a Pi so they say but several things I don't understand. The instructions have you downloading and unzipping to an SD card for the Pi. I want to just put it as an additional program on the Pi and still have open plotter, Can I get pointed to instruction on how to do this? Secondly the link shows many files https://updates.victronenergy.com/fe.../raspberrypi2/ . How can I determine which file is needed
It's an operating system in itself, you cannot run it from within your current Pi installation unless you use a virtual machine which I don't think would work well on a Pi.

It's like trying to run MacOS inside of Microsoft Windows.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:11   #1052

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post a specific question but I am using OpenPlotter. I have setup Signal K and Node-Red. In the node-red dashboard, I wanted a chart to plot a history of the last day and it turned out to be a lot of data points (e.g., temperature). I want to reduce the amount of data points, how do I do it? E.g., instead of reading a datapoint every second, I want to change it to every minute. Where do I change the setting? I went through the Signal K setting page, nothing was there fore it.

Thank you in advance.
sailwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 11:40   #1053
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing View Post
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post a specific question but I am using OpenPlotter. I have setup Signal K and Node-Red. In the node-red dashboard, I wanted a chart to plot a history of the last day and it turned out to be a lot of data points (e.g., temperature). I want to reduce the amount of data points, how do I do it? E.g., instead of reading a datapoint every second, I want to change it to every minute. Where do I change the setting? I went through the Signal K setting page, nothing was there fore it.

Thank you in advance.
much better way than node-red is to write all the data to a influxdb database.
If your on openpotter 2 it's easy as the sources are set up, in a terminal cut and paste 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install influxdb chronograf' & hit return. This loads the programs onto the Pi.

Then again in a terminal paste 'sudo systemctl enable influxdb chronograf'.
This means next reboot they will run automatically.

Then 'sudo systemctl start influxdb chronograf' to run now rather than reboot.

Then look in the signalk appstore for the plugin 'signalk-to-influxdb'

To set that up you need to go into chronograf , on a web browser go into 10.10.10.1:8888 and set up a connection -

Defaults should be OK. And create a database >

Back in openplotter server/plugin config put the database name you just created and should be pretty much u and running.

then in chronograf view away

Thats all from memory so might have missed something, but longer to type than to do!

One more thing in influxdb settings to keep the cpu/memory use=age down >https://github.com/influxdata/influx...ment-375773775

influxdb settings are in /etc/influxdb

So much better than trying to plot in node-red.

HTH
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 14:41   #1054

Thank you Conachair. I will certainly investigate.

However, is there a way to reduce sampling frequency?
sailwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 16:20   #1055
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
In the signalk app, also you can set the database to just save for a week or whatever so it doesn't completely fill the hard drive.

plotting is great, see trends you'd never hope to spot just looking at the numbers.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:34   #1056

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Are the SPI tabs disabled? I am trying to set up an MCP3008 Analog to digital converter and cannot seem to make it work after two different ways of wiring. I want to interface a 5 channel hall effect board to monitor charging sources
Old 04-12-2019, 23:41   #1057

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Quote:
Thank you Conachair. I will certainly investigate.

Although the solution proposed by Conachair looks pretty neat - it is super simple to reduce the sampling frequency in Node-Red. If an Inject node is triggering reading the value from the GPIO for example then alter the frequency in the Inject node. Another method is to insert a Delay node (from the function list) into the message flow and set the delay to whatever frequency is required and ensure 'drop intermediate messages' is checked.
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote