Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 06:26   #931

Boat: Dufour 43
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Haven't tried mgrok but openplotter has mqtt built in, works both ways, you can talk to openplotter via mqtt 9ver the web or monitor any nmea, probably any signalk with the imminent V0. 9.
You can also send tweets or emails, either timed or triggered. Or instance, if your wind instruments are connected to openplotter then you can set it to email or tweet if the wind gets above a certain speed.
Partially working with ngrok. I have the port 3000 working under http. I can transmit the default SignalK web pages built into OpenPlotter. I do not think all of the SignalK features on those web pages work even directly connected to OpenPlotter. I may need to study SignalK's web server somewhat to tailor to my ideas

Yes, I already have the email setup to transmit when triggers I have built are meet. Still looking at the MQTT angle.
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:54   #932
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Forget (for now) about node-red and Firefox. Assume I have the NMEA 0183 sentence built in a python script on the pi, it's ready to go .... all I want to do is get it inserted/multiplexed into the data stream that gets sent from the pi to the C80. Where do I send the sentence ?
Don't know
I've been trying to send over udp and tcp from node red with no luck. Openplotter listens to 127.0.0.1:10110 udp by default and you can easily set up other ports, udp or tcp. Unfortunately my networking knowledge is extremely limited. Maybe ask on ther openplotter forums?
OpenMarine - OpenPlotter

BTW, v0. 9 has just been released a few hours ago. Sounds like there are some major changes.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:39   #933
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
BTW, v0. 9 has just been released a few hours ago. Sounds like there are some major changes.
WoooHoooo !!!

Hmmm, .... only woho .... can't download it via Mega and no peers on torrent yet
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 22:01   #934
Jd1

Finally got to play with 0.9 ... all kinds of interesting changes. I am looking forward to exploring things.
A quick question - after I installed the image on the memory card and booted up, my pi connected to the wifi network without any issues. Once everything was installed however, there was no wifi connectivity. Things have changed a bit for the configuration in this version so I am probably doing something stupid in the setup. If someone experienced similar difficulties and managed to get past them I would appreciate a hint ..... Thanks !
THANKS for ver 0.9 too !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:51   #935

Boat: Halmatic 30
Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project

I only had a problem with the RTL-DSR dongle with the first version of the Alpha. This had something to do with the network.

This has been corrected and now it is working great. What an excellent piece of software, with al the items you need for a board computer.

SignalK is also very promising with these instruments.

And real windspeed is also calculated in this version.

A pity is, that the Boat is in the winterstorage so I can not try it onboard.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 17:33   #936

Quote:
Finally got to play with 0.9 ... all kinds of interesting changes. I am looking forward to exploring things.
A quick question - after I installed the image on the memory card and booted up, my pi connected to the wifi network without any issues. Once everything was installed however, there was no wifi connectivity. Things have changed a bit for the configuration in this version so I am probably doing something stupid in the setup. If someone experienced similar difficulties and managed to get past them I would appreciate a hint ..... Thanks !
THANKS for ver 0.9 too !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here, WiFi and LAN hardwire does not work/connect. The lights on the LAN connector light up and blink like its trying to connect.

Help-Thoughts?

Just downloaded and installed, so I'm just now playing and poking around.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:31   #937

Quote:
That is what I have done, I have added the GPS in OpenPlotter under the NMEA 0183 tab as an input /dev/ttyUSB0 at 4800 baud. I get nothing in OpenCPN when I open the NMEA debugging window.

Hmmmm, interesting .... just noticed that the NMEA inspector under OpenPlotter gives the following message: connected with localhost:10110 Error: timed out waiting for data.
When I do a 'cat /dev/ttyUSB0' on the pi I get all kinds of garbage but no NMEA string
The GPS puck came from a working OpenCPN installation on a laptop. I will try the puck on the laptop again to verify it's operation.
Try resetting the baud rate or use the auto configure tool
dmdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:17   #938
Marine Service Provider

It seems that you is not using correct baud rate as dmdelorme says,

What is your brand and model of the GPS ?? check the GPS specifications and adjust your baud rate in the settings accordingly.

/Petter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdelorme View Post
Try resetting the baud rate or use the auto configure tool
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:06   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsunfurled View Post
Same here, WiFi and LAN hardwire does not work/connect. The lights on the LAN connector light up and blink like its trying to connect.

Help-Thoughts?

Just downloaded and installed, so I'm just now playing and poking around.
Update: the LAN and Wifi connections are working limited -BUT- the icon for the LAN connections is greyed out and when trying to configure LAN connections it says "No Connections to Configure". I can still browse the web etc, LAN traffic is working

When in OpenPlotter, no networking connections (TCP/IP) show up to add to KFLEX or to redirect inside SignalK.

I2C sensors, I noticed the pressure and temp not showing up inside Openplotter now.

NEMA 2K tab, if you check/select which PGNs you want to transmit, the PGNs do not show up in the output box on that tab.

Will explore more, this is looking good. I like the Node-Red server that is added.
Old 07-12-2016, 22:17   #940

I've used ngrok for temporary access but not for longer periods. My guess is that it should work ok. However it will not provide any access control afaik.

If you are not behind NAT you could set up a VPN server on the RPi. It is not overly complex and provides access to all systems on the boat network. You do need to sort out a permanent address for your boat with dyndns or similar setup though.

With VPN you can access modern MFD's access features from phones and tablets remotely if needed.

If you are into Ansible there are ready made roles like https://github.com/tkurki/marinepi-p...2tp_vpn_server and https://github.com/tkurki/marinepi-p...es/inadyn_ddns.
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:00   #941

Re: OpenPlotter project Cheap Water Proof Display

Guys,

I've seen many quires about daylight readable water proof display. I've found one a Sony Xperia Z SGP311 16GB, Wi-Fi, 10.1in it's $140 on ebay. Mine was a table on the Verizon network. It was never sold so it was in perfect condition. IP55 and IP58 "Water Proof". Can install OpenCpn directly but I'm trying to configure it as the Control Head for my Pi3.

Xperia Z2 Tablet Specifications | 10.1” Tablet - Sony Mobile (Global UK English)

I use a Ipad at work for Approach Charts (Pilot) and this tablet is about 1/2 the weight and seems to have much better battery life. You can get a charging cradle from China for about $5.

So I think this is a great option for OpenPlotter.

Now if I could only get the GPS working on my Pi3.

Frats,
Emmett
Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:02   #942

Boat: Maxi999

Hi.
I´m new here and im experimenting with OP 0.9 on a raspi3 right now. Great platform btw...
Just asking, cause I´m a newbie here, if it is possible to connect a "seatalk" (Raymarine ST60+ depth-log ) via a serial RS 485/422->USB to openplotter or do I need anyway a "SeaTalk NMEA Bridge" ?

Mic
powermickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:14   #943
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermickel View Post
Hi.
I´m new here and im experimenting with OP 0.9 on a raspi3 right now. Great platform btw...
Just asking, cause I´m a newbie here, if it is possible to connect a "seatalk" (Raymarine ST60+ depth-log ) via a serial RS 485/422->USB to openplotter or do I need anyway a "SeaTalk NMEA Bridge" ?

Mic
Keeping in mind that I am NOT an expert ...
You may have your depth log hooked up to a Raymarine chart plotter at the moment. If so, chances are that the plotter has a NMEA 0183 connection and your RS 485/422 device can be hooked up to that.
If you do not have the built-in bridge in the plotter then yes, you would need an external bridge.
Old 18-12-2016, 08:02   #944
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Just got a rpi3. I want to connect to pc running opencpn/xinutop and use rpi as an access point for helm repeater and gps/aids inputs.

Q1-- I need to load "headless", as I have no keyboard. But I cannot find the config.txt file to modify. (As per instructions)The unzipped file is noobs v1_9_2. Where is the file to modify? I can get openplotter to run on the pi, but I don't have a keyboard...

Q2--I would like to just connect rpi to main laptop with an Ethernet cable, but no luck so far.. is it because I cannot input an IP address in the pi? Any links to instructions.

Q3-- can the pi repeat to an iPad at the helm without a router? Many tries with iPads using the ip addresses in the openplotter wifi app section, but no connection found

Openplotter seems promising but I am having serious growing pains. Many thanks in advance, John
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 08:41   #945
Marine Service Provider

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } Q1 - Openplotter will boot fine withour a keyboard/mouse/display aka «headless»

If you want to use openplotter as an NMEA 0183 wifi multiplexer, for now I would use the 0.8
Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.8.0 | Sailoog

I does not like the noobs alternative witch add a lot of extra boot alternatives wich is not required.

Q2 - You can give your pi a static ip address:

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-...address-update

After giving a static ip for the LAN port, go to the openplotter menu and configure the rpi as an accesspoing using the rpi3’s wireless chip.

When so is done, you must use your laptop and connect to the new accesspoing «openplotter» - when you are connected, use VNC or RDP to connect to the desktop of openplotter. You does not need an ethernet cable. Also note: you can not connect between a pc and the rpi directly with out an switch inbetveen , if so you would have to use an spwecial network cable.

Q3 - Yes, you can repeat to many devices as you want -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Just got a rpi3. I want to connect to pc running opencpn/xinutop and use rpi as an access point for helm repeater and gps/aids inputs.

Q1-- I need to load "headless", as I have no keyboard. But I cannot find the config.txt file to modify. (As per instructions)The unzipped file is noobs v1_9_2. Where is the file to modify? I can get openplotter to run on the pi, but I don't have a keyboard...

Q2--I would like to just connect rpi to main laptop with an Ethernet cable, but no luck so far.. is it because I cannot input an IP address in the pi? Any links to instructions.

Q3-- can the pi repeat to an iPad at the helm without a router? Many tries with iPads using the ip addresses in the openplotter wifi app section, but no connection found

Openplotter seems promising but I am having serious growing pains. Many thanks in advance, John
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote