Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 17:00   #1

Boat: Dufour 412 (41 ft)
MMSI Setup on Raymarine ASI700

Can’t figure out if there’s a way to use my Axiom MFD/Lighthouse to program the MMSI number into the ASIJust got my MMSI number.
Ddunmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 17:03   #2

Re: MMSI Setup on Raymarine ASI700

Should read ...AIS. I input the MMSI to the Raymarine VHF no problem. But the AIS700 manual says to get it programmed in by a dealer. Is this really necessary? If so, what a pain.
Old 17-01-2021, 18:07   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Are you in the US? 47CFR80.231 prohibits entry by the end user.

Quote:
...The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 18:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Are you in the US? 47CFR80.231 prohibits entry by the end user.

Yes I am. This forum is the best. Thanks for the answer.
Old 17-01-2021, 18:40   #5

normally it's with a laptop and usb cable. but I haven't seen that AIS
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 19:39   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Here's another answer, presented FYI, I deny any responsibility if the AIS police come after you.

You can try and see. It is done with a PC. Installers as well some tech inclined owners program them up here and I have a hunch you can too. Download and install the ProAis2 software, here is a source:

https://digitalyachtamerica.com/down...2-windows-zip/

This is the standard software for programming Class B AIS units and I believe it works with all models. Connect the unit via USB, I can't remember for sure, but think it needs to be powered on. Launch the software and establish the connection to the AIS. The software is pretty straightforward, and there should be a user manual in the download.

Several tabs are there with settings and diagnostic info. Look at the MMSI entry first - if it is blank you should be able to set it. Once it is set, only authorized service can clear it. If they put zeros or something in there then it will be locked. If you find you can enter it, be sure it is right when you confirm it! There are then settings for your boat details, and once it has begun transmitting there will be antenna diagnostic info.
Old 17-01-2021, 22:33   #7

the pro ais does not work with all AIS. but does work with many. garmin and simard have their own software. if you buy the AIS in any other country software normally comes in the box... only the USA takes it out and doesn't allow owners to program.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 22:57   #8

Boat: Retired from CF

I just installed my new Digital Yacht AIS which has a Web interface , even easier than software and the programming took about 1 min.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 09:21   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddunmire View Post
Can’t figure out if there’s a way to use my Axiom MFD/Lighthouse to program the MMSI number into the ASIJust got my MMSI number.
Same gear, but that doesn’t really matter. I sent it and the radio and both mics (through a dealer) to Raymarine. Skip the dealer if you can; his invoice was far different than theirs. ☹️
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 09:50   #10

I purchased an AIS700 from a dealer on-line about a year ago. They wouldn't ship it until I provided all of the required information including MMSI and antenna location on the vessel so they could pre-program.
okiwoodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 17:29   #11

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post
Here's another answer, presented FYI, I deny any responsibility if the AIS police come after you.
-------------------------------
There are then settings for your boat details, and once it has begun transmitting there will be antenna diagnostic info.
Sounds pretty right. I did mine when I bought it in Australia and it was a breeze. I understood that once programmed in it can only be changed by a dealer as you said but only once.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:38   #12

Upon request, the dealer added our MMSI number to our Raymarine AIS700. Information provided on this forum the US regulations prohibit end user from doing this was of course absolutely correct and kept me from spending any more time / frustration looking through endless MFD menus trying to find what I was sure must be there (a place to add the MMSI). This is a great forum. I don’t know what I don’t know.
Old 08-02-2021, 13:07   #13

Boat: Nauticat 32

I bought an AIS700 in the US on Amazon. Sailed to Mexico. Programmed the device with ProAIS. Sailed back. Easy.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine