Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 03:42   #1

Boat: Frank Pelin 35ft
MacBook Pro Retina Display

Hi Cruisers..! Anyone got any feedback as yet with the new MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. I'm very interested to hear from anyone cruising with one of these.......! Thanks HARRY "Future days"
FUTURE DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 04:43   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: MacBook Pro Retina Display

Retina Display? Sounds intriguing.....but I thought all owners of the Mk 1 Eyeball were equipped with that. Must go look this up.

Ah, nice resolution. Really nice resolution:
Quote:
Of course, the real highlight is that new Retina Display. Its resolution is 2,880x1,800 pixels, providing a level of detail never seen on a laptop before. The highest standard Windows laptop screen resolution is 1,920x1,080 pixels, the same as an HDTV. That previous high-water mark has been fine in my experience, but even that can make text and images look small on a 15-inch laptop. Apple solves this via a different dot pitch for the screen, much as it did on the third-gen iPad.

In person, the Retina Display looks great, although you're more likely to notice it when comparing to a non-Retina laptop. It'll likely be more useful for heavy readers or Photoshop/Final Cut users at first, and we'll have to see how long it takes for other popular programs to update themselves to take advantage of the new screen.

In the end, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, while expensive, is the best all-around MacBook Apple now makes -- unless you absolutely, positively need a built-in optical drive or Ethernet jack (both are available via external dongles or peripherals). It provides desktop-replacement-level performance, but is nearly as slim as an imagined 15-inch MacBook Air would be, even if it's a little heavier than it looks. Because it eclipses the previous MacBook Pro in many ways, it earns a CNET Editors' Choice nod.

Still, it feels like a rest stop on the road to somewhere else, a not-too-distant future when all laptops are paper-thin and feather light, with powerful hardware, wide connectivity, and generous solid-state storage that rivals bulky old platter hard drives. Don't be shocked to see Retina screens filter down to less expensive models at some point in the not-too-distant future. We're not there yet, but this is a big step in that direction.

Price as reviewed $2,19
Pinched from:
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review - Watch CNET's Video & Read Our Review!
Old 18-08-2012, 15:54   #3

Boat: Hanse 385

They are great, for apps that support them, most currently don't and look very bad.
It's where everything is heading though so hopefully software builders jump on board quickly and get everything updated.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 02:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard
They are great, for apps that support them, most currently don't and look very bad.
It's where everything is heading though so hopefully software builders jump on board quickly and get everything updated.
Thanks Simon for your info...I'm going to Apple Store this week to have a look, and all the info from cruisers has been great...! cheers Harry
Old 19-08-2012, 03:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
Retina Display? Sounds intriguing.....but I thought all owners of the Mk 1 Eyeball were equipped with that. Must go look this up.

Pinched from:
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review - Watch CNET's Video & Read Our Review!
Thanks micah719.. All the feedback from "cruisers" has been great...! Cheers Harry
Old 19-08-2012, 03:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719

Pinched from:
Thanks for the feedback Micah 719, much appreciated!
Old 19-08-2012, 04:43   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

We're using the new iPad which has the Retina display and running both Navionics and iNavX charts. Everything works fine and the display is great!
Old 19-08-2012, 05:24   #8

Boat: Outremer 5X

I'm shopping for one at the moment vs the non-retina model, but am peeved by a few things:

a) The introduction of a different mag-safe power connection on the retina machines. We have two older macbook pros that we'll had down to our kids (9 & 11 - so first computers for school use). We have 3 power adapters for our laptops, and now you need a 10$ dongle to connect the new laptop to an old power supply.

b) If you don't need the retina display, the mac book pro itself has one major annoyance - no HDMI connection. It does have a firewire as well as thunderbolt and an ethernet. The Ethernet to thunderbolt for the retina machine is $30.

I spent a bunch of time looking at which computer I'm going to have as the house computer for the boat, and the new retina macbooks crush the performance of mac-mini and also the Mac Pro tower (which is hilariously large footprint). I'd buy the non-retina for this purpose but no HDMI, and I specifically want that.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 05:32   #9

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE DAYS View Post
Thanks micah719.. All the feedback from "cruisers" has been great...! Cheers Harry
Harry & Future Days:

No worries, mateys! Someone's curiosity often benefits others. Not sure if I can be classed a "cruiser", seeing I'm marooned 1000km from the sea, for the time being. The escape is being planned....
Old 19-08-2012, 10:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles
We're using the new iPad which has the Retina display and running both Navionics and iNavX charts. Everything works fine and the display is great!
Many thanks for your positive input Doodles, in a few days's time, I'm thinking I will be , pardon the pun, in the same boat! Cheers mate..!
Old 19-08-2012, 10:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan360
I'm shopping for one at the moment vs the non-retina model, but am peeved by a few things:

a) The introduction of a different mag-safe power connection on the retina machines. We have two older macbook pros that we'll had down to our kids (9 & 11 - so first computers for school use). We have 3 power adapters for our laptops, and now you need a 10$ dongle to connect the new laptop to an old power supply.

b) If you don't need the retina display, the mac book pro itself has one major annoyance - no HDMI connection. It does have a firewire as well as thunderbolt and an ethernet. The Ethernet to thunderbolt for the retina machine is $30.

I spent a bunch of time looking at which computer I'm going to have as the house computer for the boat, and the new retina macbooks crush the performance of mac-mini and also the Mac Pro tower (which is hilariously large footprint). I'd buy the non-retina for this purpose but no HDMI, and I specifically want that.
Thanks Dan for your views, much appreciated. Primarily I want to facilitate Navionics, Pocket Grib, World Tides and my passion for Creative Photography, so the MacBook Pro 15 Retina will be the reality in a few day's time.....I'm sure my ol' Lady FUTURE DAYS will appreciate some advanced technology!!! Cheers Harry
Old 19-08-2012, 11:39   #12

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Quote:

The new MBP does have hdmi
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:45   #13

Boat: Outremer 5X

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Only the retina machines, not the revised regular Pro :-( hence my original post. I want one to hide away behind the chart table w/ a remote screen, and don't need the retina display, BUT I want to have the HDMI. I can get mac-mini (w/ HDMI) but its blown out of the water performance wise by the retina pro. It is also 3x the price of a mac mini.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:51   #14

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Quote:

Only the retina machines, not the revised regular Pro :-( hence my original post. I want one to hide away behind the chart table w/ a remote screen, and don't need the retina display, BUT I want to have the HDMI. I can get mac-mini (w/ HDMI) but its blown out of the water performance wise by the retina pro. It is also 3x the price of a mac mini.
Oh I see, sorry, I read it too fast.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 14:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway

The new MBP does have hdmi
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/
Thanks for your feedback and interesting info "the way"... You got me re - reading the specs too! Have a nice day...cheers Harry