Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 08:23   #1

Problem With B&G Instrument System

I have a complete B&G H2000 system from 2003.

The only thing that is working now is apparent wind direction and speed. When I bougt the boat the log was not working and I was told by a B & G technician that I could easily put on a paddlewheel sensor(today its the ultrasonic) I have an Airmar transducer DST800 200khz NMEA 083 that I might want to try.

The depth and compass device worked worked to a certain extent on the way home from England after I bought the boat. Suddenly the depth and compass did not display any data(navigation features are just empty in the displays) This has most likely taken place simultaneously, and I cant think of two sender faults at the same time?

I really hope to have som help. The boat was a testboat for B&G in 2003 under admirals cup. Now we are a few students who has done a refit on the boat and hope to do well with it.
sailing_norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 08:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Problem with B&G instrument system

The first thing to try is system wide reset. Write down all the calibration factors because these will be lost.

Next check all the connections.

Then the voltage at the processor ( when it's on and running)

I am more familiar with the H3000. Then disconect the systems in a systematic way and see if things come back to life. Fasnet and simnet are separate bus systems does one work?

B&G have a good technical department send them an email if the above does work
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 10:00   #3

Sounds like a network problem. With system off, check across green and white wires of the fastnet cable. It should read 50Ω. There must be a 100Ω terminating resistor at each end of the network. I don't believe the H2000 accepts an NMEA 0183 speed transducer.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:07   #4

I list up every component here:

- I have the big halcyon gyro compass connected to a halcyon gyro processor unit.

- The speed is an ultrasonic speed transducer connected to a ultrasonic speed interface and then connected to the main processor I think?

- The depth transducer seem to be connected directly to the main processor

- I have the hercules main processor, and also a processor called hercules
performance unit.

- 3 FFDS, two in cockpit and one on the chart table, 4 mast displays 20/20

The problems:

Regarding depth problem:
The display show ---- up and down

Regarding compass problems the display is blank unless the text for which mode it is in(course, etc)

Regarding speed problems the number on the log just stays 0.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120829_162652.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	45930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120829_162715.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	45931  

Name:	20120829_162729.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	45932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120829_162852.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	45933  

Name:	20120829_162939.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	45934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120829_162909.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	45935  

sailing_norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I love all those big 20/20 displays at the mast.

The good news is that all the displays seem to working and given that you can display wind data and calibration data I think it's likely (but not certain) that the main processor is OK.

The ultrasonic speed sensors were not reliable, so it is not surprising that speed has has never worked. It can be replaced by a paddle wheel easily, but you will need to be out of the water. An alternative is to use the GPS to display SOG the unit will still calculate true (ground) wind etc.

It is a coincidence that the gyro compass and depth have failed at the same time. The compass looks like it has suffered some salt water spray at some stage. The only thing these generally share in common is the main processor, but I still think a sensor failure is more likely.

The depth sensor is cheap. I would replace this. If it works you know the main processor is fine and you will have speed, wind and depth for the small cost of a new sensor.

The compass is expensive and this may be worth repairing once you are sure it is at fault rather than the main processor. The system will work quite well without the compass, or you can fit a simple flux gate compass, or get the information from the autopilot.

If you have a B&G autopilot or are a very keen racing boat I would repair the gyrocompass otherwise I would fit a simpler alternative.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote