Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 15:48   #61

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Internet at sea, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilgeRat View Post
Finally, internet at sea. Been waiting my whole life and now too old to go to sea. Small boats are a lot different then ships.

There you go, you can get now on Twitter while sailing past tropical islands.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 18:58   #62

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
There you go, you can get now on Twitter while sailing past tropical islands.

Yeah but why?
Old 30-05-2022, 20:57   #63

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

To twit.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:57   #64

Boat: Lagoon 450

KVH has had internet service for years, but at a price. I’m hoping emergence of Starlink will impact KVH pricing lower.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 13:44   #65

Boat: Kristen 52

I have Starlink, expecting it will work anywhere eventually. I wanted to get equipment while I’m at a place to receive shipments. I figure since it is slightly less cost(right now)than Iridium Go, why not have it. I’ll be leaving NZ in a month or two for Fiji, not sure if mine will will work, there is service there. I will activate portability, hopeful they consider Oceania a continent �� I will activate Iridium for weather in route.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:00   #66

Boat: Trawler

Obviously, this is for close to shore service but that should change in the near future.
For those at anchor, try Med mooring just to keep the boats from swinging too far. A small throw anchor should work in light winds.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:12   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
I have Starlink, expecting it will work anywhere eventually. I wanted to get equipment while I’m at a place to receive shipments. I figure since it is slightly less cost(right now)than Iridium Go, why not have it. I’ll be leaving NZ in a month or two for Fiji, not sure if mine will will work, there is service there. I will activate portability, hopeful they consider Oceania a continent �� I will activate Iridium for weather in route.
SpaceX Engineers Are/Have Setting Up A Starlink Gateway In Fiji To Provide Internet For Tonga Region Struck By Volcano-Tsunami
According to a Fiji FBC news report, Fiji's Acting Prime Minister Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum said that SpaceX plans to operate the ground station temporarily for 6-months as part of a “temporary emergency telecommunications license” to provide an internet gateway to help the disaster-struck Tonga Islands.
Feb. 4, 2022 ➥ https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/business/...or-six-months/

Discussions for a long term agreement are in progress.
SpaceX is currently given a 6-month temporary emergency telecommunications license by the Government of Fiji.
May 17/22 ➥ https://fijisun.com.fj/2022/05/17/wh...eans-for-fiji/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 15:47   #68

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post

please report if it works offshore. I talked to 2 boats in St. Lucia they said they had to their surprise starlink connection for 2/3 of the way accross the atlantic from the canary islands.

Got also a starlink yesterday and in process of choping its motors and head off and modify it to a flat dishy, less outage then motors enabled in a boat.
Still keep the Iridium Go as backup for weather updates but to have internet in the middle of the ocean is worth a lot...done crossing end january on a friends boat and we had to call several time via satelite phone our shore support to get a bigger picture...first a storm, then a tropical depression and then another storm all 100-200miles above us. Lucky just send the swell down, 3 days washing machine and caused some windstill zones. But to monitor that and see bigger picture iridum was just not enough.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 17:07   #69

Boat: Gemini 105 MC, 10.5m

By now, we have sailed through Hawai'i, Tonga, Samoa, and New Zealand with our beta dishy.
Still did not use it under way. We were able to get good internet practically everywhere we anchored. Starlink this week announced maritime access in international waters globally. Naturally, they point to their ruinously expensive double-dishy subscription, but I've heard that this means us RV/roamers can hook up at sea.
czarkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet