Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2023, 15:40   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda
ACP-2 vs NAC-3 B&G Autopilot

Greetings. I am currently contemplating an upgrade from a B&G Network Pilot ACP-2, to a B&G NAC-3. My existing 1999 Vintage system is still functional, (wind, depth, speed), But I am interested in upgrading all of those senders to N2K compatible ultrasonic sensors, and if I am gonna do that, why not the autopilot brain?

I have been unable to find any sort of comparison information about the difference between the old ACP-2 and the newer NAC-3 computers.

Do any of you have words of wisdom to share?

Thanks
toda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 19:34   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Re: ACP-2 vs NAC-3 B&G Autopilot

Feels like wisdom is in short supply in the world these days. But here is a little input on this:

I could be wrong, but I think your ACP-2 pre-dates rate gyro compasses and the software to take advantage of the rate of change in turn rates (heel, pitch and yaw). You would see a significant difference in the ability of the NAC-3 to keep your vessel on track, particularly is seas. But, you also need a modern rate gyro compass sensor to go with it. The Precision 9 is good, pair it with a 10Hz GPS and you'd be set for sure. I think they say the ZG100 isn't good enough for autopilots. There are other NMEA headiong sensors and compasses and you can go as crazy as your interest and wallet allows.

Apparent wind mode is a great thing upwind and is easy to implement. True wind is great going downwind, but it takes a lot of effort to have good true wind downwind. Not worth the effort for most cruisers as a compass course offwind does just fine.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:05   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft voyager 40, Toda
Re: ACP-2 vs NAC-3 B&G Autopilot

Thanks for your reply... It confirms what I have thought :-)
toda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot