Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2022, 16:48   #1

Boat: Trawler
Internet at sea, now!

Finally, internet at sea. Been waiting my whole life and now too old to go to sea. Small boats are a lot different then ships.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	214E74E7-5BEA-44A8-9F9F-9034BDF1011E.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	258265  
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 16:59   #2

Re: Internet at sea, now!

Sounds like you just spelled out the rest of your life....Shame that. Get back out there
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 17:31   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

The "RV" service differs from "regular" service in that it is low priority and slower. Otherwise, it is mostly the same.

Also note "not designed for use while in motion"

https://www.starlink.com/rv
Old 23-05-2022, 18:21   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Ordered 5 minutes after I saw it was available.... The RV service has some compromises but also has some perks that are nice.
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 19:08   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

ATM, Starlink isn't available at sea (AFAIK), at least not past 12 nm offshore.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 19:39   #6

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I know it's been tried on some fishing boats and a few sailors here, the technology is currently geo fenced 12-16 miles from shore. At some point this will end though. The dish, dishy, doesn't seem too bothered by the swaying of a boat and is rated for pretty good winds, but probably not waves or long term marine environment.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 19:39   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
ATM, Starlink isn't available at sea (AFAIK), at least not past 12 nm offshore.
True statement, AFAIK too. Sure I look forward to the day I can stream Netflix from the middle of an ocean, but I can wait for that a little while longer. In the meantime, I want high speed UNLIMITED internet where I plan on spending 99% of my time for the next 2+ years. Personally can't wait to stream Netflix from my little gunkhole up some creek in the Chesapeake bay, which this should easily allow me to do. Heck, currently I can't even stream Netflix from my Dock...
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 20:21   #8

Boat: Lancer 27PS

^^^^ He said "stream Netflix". ROFLMAO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:28   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

I've heard, but can't confirm, stories that the satellite dish for Starling can not keep up with a boats motion, the servo motor burns out quickly. I don't think they're ready for prime time.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:03   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Thanks for the heads up about the RV option, I've been on the waitlist for a year and couldn't resist and ordered it.

I'm already getting some anxiety and buyers remorse and have a couple of questions below.

Existing Starlink users on boats that purchased and used the earlier residential version (I have met two of them) have said to me that despite the warnings and stated limits communicated by Starlink that it works fine on a boat. Residential accounts have the ability to change your service address online and you can do that as often as you want, which makes it pretty portable.

These same existing Starlink users on boats have mentioned that the unit will stay connected while in motion at anchor and most of the time underway if not moving too fast.

I have two questions for the existing users who have tried using Starlink on their boat:

Question 1: Can anyone here confirm or deny based upon experience that Starlink will stay connected at anchor with gentle motion or swinging as long as the view of the sky is clear?

Question 2: Being a ketch it will be hard to get a clear view of the sky without a mast shadowing the unit when swinging at anchor. Since a mast is a lot smaller than a tree or a building is it likely the unit can stay connected? How literal is the "CLEAR" view of the sky guideline?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:56   #11

Boat: Gemini 105 MC, 10.5m

Works well at anchor.
I have not tried to use it under way (yet)
We have gotten great internet all the way from Portland to Avalon.
Clear view of the sky avoids interruptions in service, can be several minutes for a big post at dock. The software has gotten much better at finding satellites with the phased array when there are a few obstructions, since the early days of beta. 😁 The physical steering motors don't do much work, now that there are a lot of satellites in the sky.
czarkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:24   #12

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

I have Starlink on my boat and it works just fine even with the movement of the boat. Dishy (the satellite receiver) does not need to physically track the satellites in orbit. It uses technology to track the satellites without moving the antenna unless the vessel changes direction more than a few degrees. So if you are sailing and maintain the same general course it does not move. If you swing on your anchor or change course it may adjust after a few minutes. Most of the time it works just fine without moving at all.
BTW we are seeing about 180mbps on average from our Dishy here in the USVI.
Much better than the 20mbps we were getting from our local provider for the same price.
You can see how it would work in your location. Pick home location in this map and see how the satellites are constantly moving overhead and how it locks on to the satellites they come into view. https://starlink.sx/
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
I've heard, but can't confirm, stories that the satellite dish for Starling can not keep up with a boats motion, the servo motor burns out quickly. I don't think they're ready for prime time.
Sorry, I think you heard wrong. Starlink is a phased array system, which means the antenna is electronically steered without moving to track the satellites which, because they are so low move quite rapidly across the sky. The motors are only there to originally point the dish in the right general direction, namely up. They are most definitely not used to track the satellites.

There are several firsthand reports right here on CF of actual users who have had good luck with the technology on their boats. I have yet to hear a firsthand report of burned out servo motors but would love to hear your source of that information?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:27   #14

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Dave Lochner - not correct. Unlike sat systems that need to stay pointed at a fixed GeoSync satellite the dish doesn't need to stay aimed at a satellite. This is due to the phased array antenna which can "steer" the radio beam.

There have been many who have actually disconnected the motors and mounted the dish flat with no perceptible impact on throughput. Have seen numerous posts doing this on boats and RV's (vans).
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:28   #15

Boat: Formosa 47

See FB group "Starlink On Boats"
dperchlik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet