Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 10:14   #16

Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

If you have a cell phone and a wifi router, you may be able to use "WDS bridging" to port the cell phone data to the router. This would allow all wifi peripherals (printer, scanner, multi-function displays) to use the cellular signal through the router. Also, the router probably has greater signal strength than the hotspot.

We have done this successfully using a cell-enabled iPad and an Archer router.

Also, some people have been happy with Google Fi. They claim it is useful up and down the Caribbean chain. Although it is data limited, the speed once you have exceeded the data limit is said to be still fast enough to download movies. You may have to buy a Google Fi approved phone to allow reception of multi-frequency cellular signals. Google Fi uses various vendors (T-mobile, AT&T) to connect in different regions of the world. Modern iPads may be able to receive the various frequencies.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:44   #17

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We are in the U.S. (PNW), work remotely and run our business from our boat, so internet connectivity it critical for us.

Marina wifi almost always sucks and is not worth it to us. There are almost no available free wifi connections in today's world that don't require a password. We haven't used our wifi antenna (mounted on top of our mizzen mast for great reception and range) in a long time.

We rely on cell data plans for our internet and here's what we have-

- AT&T 100GB plan for $100. per month. This is our primary connection and even the two of us working online 7 days per week doesn't exceed 100GB. It has its own router (designed to be a home device) and we raise it up the mast at remote anchorages.

- T-Mobile- we have an iPad and a Hotspot, $35. and $45. per month respectively, 10GB as backup if ATT is weak or unavailable, but the real reason is unlimited video streaming (Binge On) as we watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and YouTube TV instead of cable or over the air TV signals. We haven't used our marine TV antenna in years.

- Google Fi- the best deal there is for international calling and "pay as you go" internet. $10. for each GB up to 12GB, then no charge up to 15, then throttled for the rest of the month after that. This is our backup if we use up our other plans or if ATT or T-Mobile is not available as Google Fi uses multiple carriers. Requires buying a phone, but the SIM card is free, and the $20. per month for the phone plan is a cheap backup for when one of our phones quits or gets dropped into the water (happened twice so far).

Boat WiFi Devices- there are many options for cell antennas and creating wifi connectivity from SIM cards on a boat and we've tried and used a bunch in the past 5 years or so. My electronics guru turned me on to Cradlepoint, which has just been acquired by Ericsson. We use this model that has two SIM card slots and we have our T-Mobile in one and Google Fi in the other. It's not cheap but the build is amazing and designed for commercial fleets of ships and trucks that will hold up very well in the marine environment and able to be accessed, managed and controlled remotely. The control panel (accessed by logging on via your computer) is sophisticated and robust, probably more for remote workers like us than the casual cruiser. I like that it uses very little power and has lots of antenna options, both outside for connecting to cell towers, and inside for expanding wifi to dead zones in the boat (if any).

As an aside, my electronics guru says that Verizon is the best carrier for boats, saying that they aim their cell towers for better, longer distance coverage than the others. I find their plans too expensive and our existing carriers work fine, but just wanted to pass along that nugget.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:05   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

There are dozens of Windows Laptops and Chromebooks with SIM card slots.

fi.Google.com - Worldwide data and calls for fixed or floating prices. You need a US (or maybe Canadian?) address.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:15   #19

I just tether to my phone, good international provider, unlimited data, but slower after just under 30gb, but it works the same and bills the same anywhere on earth, google fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Expensive interwebs in the US

In Australia we pay $27 usd/mth for 100gb of 4G, unlimited calls and text.
We use the phone as a hotspot and it connects with several devices.
Batteries get warm and bulgy after about 12 mths of punishment but replacements for our cheap android are $7 each so way cheaper than a modem and second plan.

Been doing this for 4 years full time cruiser.
I hope you’re using a VPN

“Australia is classified as "under surveillance" (a type of "Internet enemy") by Reporters Without Borders due to the proposed legislation. If enacted, the legislation would have required Internet service providers to censor access to such content for all users. However, the policy was rejected by the Coalition and was later withdrawn by the Labor party.
The same day the withdrawal was announced, the then Communications Minister stated that as a result of notices to Australian ISPs, over 90% of Australians using Internet Services were going to have a web filter. Australian Federal Police would then pursue smaller ISPs and work with them to meet their "obligation under Australian law".
iiNet and Internode quietly confirmed that the request to censor content from Australian Federal Police went from voluntary to mandatory under s313 in an existing law. iiNet had sought legal advice and accepted the s313 mandatory notice but would not reveal the legal advice publicly.”

“In April 2019, the Senate passed a bill in response to the Christchurch mosque shooting which required websites that provide a hosting service to "ensure the expeditious removal" of audio or visual material documenting "abhorrent violent conduct" (including terrorist acts, murder, attempted murder, torture, rape or kidnapping), produced by a perpetrator or accomplice, within a reasonable time frame. Hosts must also report such content to authorities. Those who do not remove the materials may face fines and jail time.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...p_in_Australia

Sounds like china lite
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
I would end your internet problems....Use SSB radio and Pactor thru an SCS TNC (Modem) . If you are cruising without SSB radio, I think you are rather foolish. If you have an SSB get a TNC and of course you already have a computer.
Download AIRMAIL (if you have ham license ) in no ham license subscribe to SAILMAIL

Cant over stress if you need SSB buy ICOM 718...inexpensive and does everything a ham or cruiser needs. Used my for many many years on cruising sailboat and now still using it ashore. DE W7KFI
Connection to the internet is not made directly,SSB user must be metusalem or enjoy nattering to complete strangers on the far side of the planet. SSB kit is horrendously expensive. service is more expensive Sailmail $275 membership for nothing.First internet is fast compared to SSB 0,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0 kb
for download 10 seconds spot from youtube you need 1000 year and normally sobody from other side to cut this movi in parts and send you letter by leter.

Gentelmen and normal homosapiens use satphone.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:21   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
I would end your internet problems....Use SSB radio and Pactor thru an SCS TNC (Modem) .

If you are happy to live with 0.5Mbps at best (PACTOR IV) - and generally a lot less. OK for email, but useless for any other internet activity
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If you are happy to live with 0.5Mbps at best - and generally a lot less. OK for email, but useless for any other internet activity
i am sorry the wrong information new pactor-4 modem has superfast speed 0.0576Mbps in laboratory condition. but because you access over SSB radio on for example Sailmail speed, in reality, is 0.0048 for email and SMS max size 30 kbs
must watch
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:51   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Just to compare. In Panama, $20 gets 28 days of unlimited data on LTE speeds (Actual speed just tested is 13Mbps D/L and 73Mbps U/L using speedof.me)
GoogleFi does not work in San Blas Islands
Soon Elon Musk will help us out too....
Old 12-10-2020, 18:53   #24

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Soon Elon Musk will help us out too....

Should I be getting excited yet?

Quote:
Starlink, Elon Musk's $10 billion satellite internet project, has been registered in Australia and could be here by next year.
<snip>
Rumours are swirling after registered Australian company TIBRO AUSTRALIA PTY LTD changed its name to STARLINK AUSTRALIA PTY LTD.
<snip>
TIBRO was successfully granted a telecommunications license by ACMA (Australian Communications and Media Authority) on August 7 this year
<snip>
Starlink satellites almost offer full coverage over Australia, the majority of the country floating around 96-98 per cent, with Darwin slightly behind at 94 per cent. Coverage in Tasmania is sitting near perfect at 99.9 per cent.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/89a...d-6c7525bce2c1
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 19:24   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
i am sorry the wrong information new pactor-4 modem has superfast speed 0.0576Mbps in laboratory condition. but because you access over SSB radio on for example Sailmail speed, in reality, is 0.0048 for email and SMS max size 30 kbs
must watch

Oops, you're right I got my conversion wrong.

It's not 0.5Mbps. It's 5512 bps which is about 0.005Mbps -i.e. 100 times slower than I stated.
Old 12-10-2020, 19:32   #26

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

I was wrong about my usage... the hotspot I had reset the usage every billing cycle (month). When I move the SIM card to my iPad, it does not...
I’m using about 200gb per month... not 2tb.
Budlight is a hell of a drug...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 20:50   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
I was wrong about my usage... the hotspot I had reset the usage every billing cycle (month). When I move the SIM card to my iPad, it does not...
I’m using about 200gb per month... not 2tb.
Budlight is a hell of a drug...

6 -7 GB a day is more like it.

Either you do quite a bit of streaming (Viking drums 24/7 ? ) or you are running Windows 10
Old 12-10-2020, 21:07   #28

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
Looking for advice. I have have an local WIFI network/router on my boat, that can connect to marina WIFIs.

The question is how to connect to the internet when away from the marina. I could use my phone's hot spot but that is metered and expensive.

I am thinking I can use a SIM card. So that is the first question.

If so, then I think I need a USB modem that has a SIM card slot, which I will connect to my onboard router.

If that doesn't work, I think my laptop has a SIM slot. Can I just insert the SIM card in the laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

-Mark/St. Pete. FL
I have an AT&T plan with unlimited data and hotspot enabling on the phone (setting a hotspot used to be blocked), for approx $90/month. It was just maybe $10 on top of the regular monthly plan and it works fine.

I was actually looking recently to transmit alerts to my phone/email from the boat when I'm away from the boat, over a cellular network where I can't trust the marina wifi availability. Finally had to build something at my lab and testing it now on bilge flooding and batteries low voltage - my main concerns when away.
Old 12-10-2020, 22:19   #29

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
Looking for advice. I have have an local WIFI network/router on my boat, that can connect to marina WIFIs.

The question is how to connect to the internet when away from the marina. I could use my phone's hot spot but that is metered and expensive.

I am thinking I can use a SIM card. So that is the first question.

If so, then I think I need a USB modem that has a SIM card slot, which I will connect to my onboard router.

If that doesn't work, I think my laptop has a SIM slot. Can I just insert the SIM card in the laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

-Mark/St. Pete. FL
Unless it's a lot different over there, data only SIM's are fairly cheap these days - such that we no longer bother with local Wi-Fi (where often the connection is a pain, the password expires, and it is slow and unsecure).

We just use a small 4G dongle that takes a local SIM, and provides Wi-Fi for us to 10 devices. That services our computer work, and our YouTube uploads and evening viewing nicely.

As to the SIM's, around the Mediterranean, typically we get the equivalent of 100Gb for around EUR30-40. The best so far was 1TB for EUR27 in Montenegro.

Back in Australia, its about the same - 100Gb for AUD40-60. There are a number of international roaming options, but so far we have found the pricing to be at a premium.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 22:53   #30

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
6 -7 GB a day is more like it.

Either you do quite a bit of streaming (Viking drums 24/7 ? ) or you are running Windows 10
Not going to talk about how much video content 6-7 gbs is.. ok... I will... 2 movies...

At least I own my mistakes... that’s rare for most...

...and... of course VIKING!
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, wifi