Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 10:51   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: St. Pete, FL
Boat: Navigator Pilot House 53'
Posts: 29
Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Looking for advice. I have have an local WIFI network/router on my boat, that can connect to marina WIFIs.

The question is how to connect to the internet when away from the marina. I could use my phone's hot spot but that is metered and expensive.

I am thinking I can use a SIM card. So that is the first question.

If so, then I think I need a USB modem that has a SIM card slot, which I will connect to my onboard router.

If that doesn't work, I think my laptop has a SIM slot. Can I just insert the SIM card in the laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

-Mark/St. Pete. FL
markguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:13   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 3,232
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

The SIM card means a 2nd phone acount and data. It won’t be any cheaper then the phone. Probably more. The. Advantage of a sim router is using an external antenna and getting more cell range. The best is to replace the unit on board with a dual sim / wifi unit. And it will switch back and forth for you.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:22   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 13
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
The question is how to connect to the internet when away from the marina. I could use my phone's hot spot but that is metered and expensive.

I am thinking I can use a SIM card. So that is the first question.
Any SIM card still requires a wireless data contract to back it up. The best deal I have found is the AT&T prepaid wireless account. Once you have used up your allotted gigs, you still get unlimited data at a restricted speed (128kbs). I got in on a special that provides 18 GB of high speed data at $45/month with automatic payment. And it can be use throughout Canada, US, and Mexico.

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plans


If anybody knows a better current deal, I would like to know what it is. (I know that there are legacy deals that you can buy with the original phone on Ebay).
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Montreal
Boat: Boatless, looking for a cat
Posts: 70
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
Looking for advice. I have have an local WIFI network/router on my boat, that can connect to marina WIFIs.

The question is how to connect to the internet when away from the marina. I could use my phone's hot spot but that is metered and expensive.

I am thinking I can use a SIM card. So that is the first question.

If so, then I think I need a USB modem that has a SIM card slot, which I will connect to my onboard router.

If that doesn't work, I think my laptop has a SIM slot. Can I just insert the SIM card in the laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

-Mark/St. Pete. FL

You need an LTE and/or 5G wifi hot spot. You insert a sim card (with a prepaid service or contract) and get wifi connection to share with multiple devices. Before buying any device, be sure it will support the frequencies of the countries/areas where you will be cruising.


Check this link

and this YouTube channel



Good luck



scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:22   #5
Registered User
 
Fortytwo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: 1979 Union 36'
Posts: 259
Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

I pay $100 per month for unlimited data that Iíve never seen throttled. SIM card I seller off of eBay for the account. Used to have the card in a hotspot, but I just put the card in my iPad and ditched the hotspot. It is expensive, but Iím going through 1TB in data per month... especially now...
If you do the SIM card and router, make sure they both support 5G.
I donít know of any laptop with a SIM card slot... Thatís why I switched to an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:31   #6
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 2,961
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Expensive interwebs in the US

In Australia we pay $27 usd/mth for 100gb of 4G, unlimited calls and text.
We use the phone as a hotspot and it connects with several devices.
Batteries get warm and bulgy after about 12 mths of punishment but replacements for our cheap android are $7 each so way cheaper than a modem and second plan.

Been doing this for 4 years full time cruiser.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Croatia
Boat: bavaria 38
Posts: 78
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

in Croatia Tele2 tariff bezbroj fer unlimited data 4G speed download to 150 Mb/s upload to 50 Mb/s
price 22-23Ä (169 kn) month
almost all Adriatic sea is covered with 4G
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:43   #8
Registered User
 
Fortytwo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: 1979 Union 36'
Posts: 259
Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

The OP is in Florida.

So, in Australia, at those rates of $27usd/mo for 100gb, I would be paying $270 for the 1TB that I pay $100 for...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:28   #9
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 2,961
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
The OP is in Florida.

So, in Australia, at those rates of $27usd/mo for 100gb, I would be paying $270 for the 1TB that I pay $100 for...
Even when I was in a dirt house with high speed cable and backing up the interwebs I was flat out going through 100gb/mth
On a boat I am hard pressed now using 60 of the hundred

God only knows what you must be doing to use a tb.
Streaming HD 24/7 while torrenting every movie and TV show known to man?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:40   #10
Registered User
 
Fortytwo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: 1979 Union 36'
Posts: 259
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

God doesnít know or care...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:46   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 10,754
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
The OP is in Florida.

So, in Australia, at those rates of $27usd/mo for 100gb, I would be paying $270 for the 1TB that I pay $100 for...
You guys don't now how luck you are!
You'd be paying $1500 for that 1TB here.

The best deal I can get is on 4G LTE.
It cost me PGK55 (about USD15) for 10GB. Which lasts me 1-2 weeks (obviously, I don't stream movies )

Quote:
God only knows what you must be doing to use a tb.
Streaming HD 24/7 while torrenting every movie and TV show known to man?
My thought as well!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:59   #12
Registered User
 
Fortytwo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: 1979 Union 36'
Posts: 259
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Go on to eBay, and find a SIM card that gives you international data and pay with PayPal. So, if it doesnít work, you get you money back. Not easy to find them through the riff raff, but they are there.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 18:14   #13
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 2,039
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhigbee View Post
The best deal I have found is the AT&T prepaid wireless account. Once you have used up your allotted gigs, you still get unlimited data at a restricted speed (128kbs). I got in on a special that provides 18 GB of high speed data at $45/month with automatic payment. And it can be use throughout Canada, US, and Mexico.
That link shows a 10G plan for $50/mo with Auto Pay. Maybe you got a deal. At any rate, the part I was looking for was this:

Quote:
Mobile hotspot: Includes 10GB of high-speed mobile hotspot / tethering per month in the U.S. After 10GB, tethering is slowed to a max speed of 128Kbps.
This is new to me. Every AT&T plan I looked at last time I was shopping had a very strict "no tethering" clause in the small print. I hope this is a trend. I'm using Google Fi now, one of the few which allowed tethering and even supported a second SIM card on the same account for a mobile hotspot device, although when I looked recently they've removed the option for the hotspot, and now specifically prohibit it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:42   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: on boat in south pacific
Boat: challenger 32, USSV Dharma
Posts: 60
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

I would end your internet problems....Use SSB radio and Pactor thru an SCS TNC (Modem) . If you are cruising without SSB radio, I think you are rather foolish. If you have an SSB get a TNC and of course you already have a computer.
Download AIRMAIL (if you have ham license ) in no ham license subscribe to SAILMAIL


Cant over stress if you need SSB buy ICOM 718...inexpensive and does everything a ham or cruiser needs. Used my for many many years on cruising sailboat and now still using it ashore. DE W7KFI
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:11   #15
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: So Cal
Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Posts: 503
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
I pay $100 per month for unlimited data that Iíve never seen throttled. SIM card I seller off of eBay for the account. Used to have the card in a hotspot, but I just put the card in my iPad and ditched the hotspot. It is expensive, but Iím going through 1TB in data per month... especially now...
If you do the SIM card and router, make sure they both support 5G.
I donít know of any laptop with a SIM card slot... Thatís why I switched to an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse...





Dell 7480 has sim slot.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
internet, wifi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Internet 4G/LTE and xG (Sim card) system for boats. Wirie Sylvain71 General Classifieds (no boats) 0 30-07-2018 05:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.