Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 18:04   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: HF-SSB Radio, Proper Installation Tips/Techniques, etc.

John, thanks... losing Bill (WA6CCA /SK) last year was rough and we're running out of true experts. Your posts are very informative, keep 'em up. BTW, I was able to source the two DAIWA SWR meters your have and copied your mounting idea, thanks for the hint. Glad to pitch in wherever I can. To everyone here, John is one of the few true experts on HF (both amateur and commercial) and his suggestions are always bang on.

73 de WAĜLSS /MM & KCQ (Coast Station)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 09:46   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

Scott,

Thanks for the compliment! And, yes I also miss Bill.

And, I think many here-abouts (myself included) miss his ability to be concise! (something Ive never figured out )

Sometimes I remember the scene from the movie "Starman", where the alien almost wrecks the car by running thru a traffic light....he is adamant that he knows how to drive because he closely observed his human companion's driving....
He says "Red means stop, Green means go, Yellow means go very fast."

I just need to remember that when I'm blasting thru the Yellow Lights around here, I should slow down (and learn how to edit).

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 15:40   #63

Boat: morgan 382

Hi John,
I was impressed by your article and wish to thank you for your guidance. I am in the precess of doing my first installation and I would ask for some guidance if you would be so kind.
The coax going into the tuner(AT140) is somewhat mangled and I will be replacing it. It is RG58X . Called ICOM and they said to replace it with double shielded coax. The only coax I can fined that is .25" diameter and also double shielded, has a solid center conductor. DO I just use ANCOR RG58X ?
As a side note, how much signal is lost in the barrel splice connector?

Best Regards,

Jose Santin SV Siboney
KG5GFP
siboneysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 16:10   #64

Boat: Norseman 447

I don’t think that the double shield is horribly important, except for the fact that there’s a lot of lousy, cheap RG58-like cables on the market with awful shield coverage. I used the bigger LMR-400UF because I had some. That’s really way overkill. My original cable from Icom looked like it was about RG8X sized, but didn’t have an identifier on it. If you really want the double-shielded cable with a stranded center conductor, I’d probably use LMR-240UF. Low loss, which isn’t important for a short run at HF frequencies, readily available, easy to get the correct crimp-type connectors and the instructions on how to do it. Don’t try to solder the ends unless you’ve had a bunch of practice. If you have enough space to pull the cable with the connectors pre-made, just go to someone like RF Parts and buy the cable with the connectors on it.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 17:33   #65

I have a chance to but a NIB Icom 710 rt. Is it still a viable option for SSB, and what would be a fair price?
Thanks, mike
mikk60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 17:47   #66

I have a chance to but a NIB Icom 710 rt. Is it still a viable option for SSB, and what would be a fair price?
Thanks, mike
Old 08-11-2020, 20:02   #67

Boat: Catalina 470

Mike,
The short answers are:
1) Current price of a M-710 is approx ~ $300 - $400...and a M-710 RT ~ $400...
M-802 approx $800 - $900...

{I've personally seen M-802's selling (from reputable sellers, guaranteed to work) for $700 to $900 within the last couple months...and an M-802 in perfect condition, with an AT-140 tuner, etc., all for $1000, just this summer...
I also saw a M-710 sell for $350....and an M-700Pro, for $400....both within the past couple months...}

So....what is a "fair price" for a 20 - 30 year, old new-in-box, M-710RT??
My personal opinion (based on > 45 years of experience in HF comms, and buying/selling radios, etc.) is: $300 - $400....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk60 View Post
Thanks, mike
2) As to the first question, "is it still a viable option"?
My opinion: No....Not a good choice, versus an M-802 (or new M-803)...

Remember, that except for the USCG (and NZ maritime auth and AUS maritime auth) nobody is standing-by on HF Maritime SSB VOICE, but rather all SOLAS vessels (>10,000 ships at sea) and all 190+ GMDSS signatory nations are standing-by / monitoring MF/HF-DSC for all initial signaling/contact before using SSB Voice for completing the communications.....
There are >80 HF-DSC Coast Stations worldwide, and >450 MF-DSC Coast Stations worldwide....along with 1000's of SOLAS vessels / merchant ships, naval / coast-guard vessels, etc. monitoring MF/HF-DSC....
[please note this has been the case now for > 21 years....since Feb 1, 1999!!]
And, an M-710 / M-710RT does not have any DSC signaling capability....so...
So, for just about all offshore sailing, cruising in remote locales, etc....the M-710 is not a viable option...
But...

But, compared to an old/used (or old, new-in-box) ham radio, for use as only a Maritime SSB Voice radio (in near-offshore waters of US / Bahamas / Mexico, and Caribbean), for casual use on "cruiser's nets", etc., then yes it is a viable option....but, only for that purpose, only compared to a ham radio....
The M-710 (or M-710RT) is a heavy-duty, marine HF radio that will work for years in a harsh environment, etc...but, not a real viable option for most maritime comms these days...

Whether it is a good choice for you....
Depends on what your intended use is?
Where you are sailing?
What your budget is? etc. etc...
And, how soon do you "need" a radio?

I do hope this helps?
(if not, I'll try to add more later?)

fair winds

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:57   #68

Thank you for all the input. At this point I am basically just a coastal cruiser. I thought that having SSB would maybe make for interesting hobby. Has winter rolls in, I am not in a rush.
A new 803 is probably more than I would be willing to spend. Oh I am quite comfortable spending 1000-$1200 on a good used 802 setup.
Mike
Old 09-11-2020, 05:09   #69

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk60 View Post
A new 803 is probably more than I would be willing to spend. Oh I am quite comfortable spending 1000-$1200 on a good used 802 setup.
I'm currently delivering a boat with an 803. I like the 802 much better. You won't be giving anything up with an 802.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:59   #70

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Mikk60, do you have any sort of license yet? Ship Station License, Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit, or even Ham Radio?

If you have no license, you will need the first two SSL and RRO. If you have a Ham Radio License, you can have SSB on board but only operate in the Ham Bands. Ham Radios are not permitted on Marine SSB bands, except under the most severe emergency condition, read - My Boat is Sinking.

Just keep this in mind as you search for your radio.

Best of luck and as always, JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 13:51   #71

That’s what winter is for
Thanks
Old 10-11-2020, 10:20   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
I don’t think that the double shield is horribly important
I think you're horribly wrong. Not poking at you on purpose - I just couldn't pass on the word reuse. *grin*

I'm on a boat now running around tracking down and sitting on RFI in the boat. The biggest dent I made was by replacing the coax with RG-214 double-shielded. Going through LOTS of ferrite beads to knock down one problem after another. Good coax made the biggest difference.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:11   #73

Boat: Norseman 447

If you think I’m just "horribly wrong," that’s better than some of the things I’ve been called. )

The double shielding certainly can’t hurt. But good coax, with high shield coverage seem to work fine. Cheap coax with poor shield coverage is lousy. The cable Icom supplied with my last radio and AH4 tuner wasn’t double shielded. Of course, I’ve always used the Radio Works line isolator so maybe I just didn’t notice the difference. I also didn’t use the Icom cable because I had a piece of RG-213 with connectors readily available. But it isn’t double shielded either.

In other words, if I had double shielded cable, I’d use it. If I just had good quality, high-shield- coverage coax, I don’t think I’d obsess over the lack of a second shield.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48   #74

Hi,

I have a Whitby 42 ketch with an M802 + AT140. Currently, one of my main mast backstays has isolaters on it and it used as the antenna. In addition to this there is a short wire connection from the top of the backstay to my triatic stay (it has isolators as well).

I just had a rigging inspection done and the rigger recommends removing the triatic stay portion of the antenna.

I have no idea as to whether or not this is a good idea.....

The main mast is about 55ft above the waterline and the mizzen is about 35 feet so the triatic comes downwards from main back to the mizzzen.

Having this antenna go up the backstay then back and downwards on the triatic seems really odd to me. What would this do to the signal radiating out from the antenna....would it interfere with each part of the antenna? Would it send too much back into the boat??

Obviously, I know little about these issues so looking for some guidance here.

Thanks
Denis
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 13:29   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisHeinrichs View Post
Currently, one of my main mast backstays has isolaters on it and it used as the antenna. In addition to this there is a short wire connection from the top of the backstay to my triatic stay (it has isolators as well).
What you have is an inverted-L antenna. In principle quite a good antenna. It's one of the little spoken benefits of ketches and schooners.

Usually I've seen a mizzen shroud for the vertical and then the triatic for the more or less horizontal part.

I can put a test regime together for you to assure yourself that removing the triatic is counterproductive. There are also some calculations that lead to relative "goodness" for which I'll need the length of the insulated traitic, the length of the jumper, the length of the insulated backstay, and the length of GTO-15 feed line from tuner to backstay attachment.

I often miss PMs so just post here or email me dave@auspiciousworks.com . Happy to help.

73 es sail fast de dave KO4MI

Tags
installation, radio, rope, ssb