Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 18:04   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: HF-SSB Radio, Proper Installation Tips/Techniques, etc.

John, thanks... losing Bill (WA6CCA /SK) last year was rough and we're running out of true experts. Your posts are very informative, keep 'em up. BTW, I was able to source the two DAIWA SWR meters your have and copied your mounting idea, thanks for the hint. Glad to pitch in wherever I can. To everyone here, John is one of the few true experts on HF (both amateur and commercial) and his suggestions are always bang on.

73 de WAĜLSS /MM & KCQ (Coast Station)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 09:46   #62

Boat: Catalina 470

Scott,

Thanks for the compliment! And, yes I also miss Bill.

And, I think many here-abouts (myself included) miss his ability to be concise! (something Ive never figured out )

Sometimes I remember the scene from the movie "Starman", where the alien almost wrecks the car by running thru a traffic light....he is adamant that he knows how to drive because he closely observed his human companion's driving....
He says "Red means stop, Green means go, Yellow means go very fast."

I just need to remember that when I'm blasting thru the Yellow Lights around here, I should slow down (and learn how to edit).

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 15:40   #63

Boat: morgan 382

Hi John,
I was impressed by your article and wish to thank you for your guidance. I am in the precess of doing my first installation and I would ask for some guidance if you would be so kind.
The coax going into the tuner(AT140) is somewhat mangled and I will be replacing it. It is RG58X . Called ICOM and they said to replace it with double shielded coax. The only coax I can fined that is .25" diameter and also double shielded, has a solid center conductor. DO I just use ANCOR RG58X ?
As a side note, how much signal is lost in the barrel splice connector?

Best Regards,

Jose Santin SV Siboney
KG5GFP
siboneysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 16:10   #64

I don’t think that the double shield is horribly important, except for the fact that there’s a lot of lousy, cheap RG58-like cables on the market with awful shield coverage. I used the bigger LMR-400UF because I had some. That’s really way overkill. My original cable from Icom looked like it was about RG8X sized, but didn’t have an identifier on it. If you really want the double-shielded cable with a stranded center conductor, I’d probably use LMR-240UF. Low loss, which isn’t important for a short run at HF frequencies, readily available, easy to get the correct crimp-type connectors and the instructions on how to do it. Don’t try to solder the ends unless you’ve had a bunch of practice. If you have enough space to pull the cable with the connectors pre-made, just go to someone like RF Parts and buy the cable with the connectors on it.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, radio, rope, ssb