Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 12:21   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Heat shrink connectors & crimpers

Hi All,

I know there has in the past been some discussion about this subject.

I would like to know what a reasonable brand to get might be? I have been looking at wirefy - they don't seem too cheap - nor too expensive. Available direct, from a few retailers, or on amazon.

Both the insulated terminals and the crimpers, unless there is a better brand of crimper available?

https://www.amazon.com/Crimping-Tool...9809637&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Shrink-B...9810444&sr=8-4
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 12:32   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Heat shrink connectors & crimpers

Doesn't matter if there is a “better” brand, those are fine. It is just a set of crimpers.
Old 30-04-2021, 12:37   #3

Actually interesting, I had heard klein tools crimpers were good :

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/c...ated-terminals (about $30)

And then there is Ancor crimpers:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...010&id=2697763 ($60 USD)

I am rating here purely on price as my guide.
Old 30-04-2021, 12:42   #4

Boat: Baba 35

I have those Klein crimpers and they smash stuff real good.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:12   #5

that klien looks like a double crimp for plastic terminals. not for hs terminals. as is the anchor. the first one has bits for both.

personaly I can't stand rachet crimpers. they open too big so you need 2 hands to use it. and a 3rd hand to hold the wire. I prefer regular non ratchet crimpers you can operate one handed. no small wire should be getting pulled on anyways.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
that klien looks like a double crimp for plastic terminals. not for hs terminals. as is the anchor. the first one has bits for both.

personaly I can't stand rachet crimpers. they open too big so you need 2 hands to use it. and a 3rd hand to hold the wire. I prefer regular non ratchet crimpers you can operate one handed. no small wire should be getting pulled on anyways.
So your saying there are different dyes for insulated (nylon) and insulated (heat shrink) ? And that the Ancor ones are the correct dye for heat shrink?
Old 30-04-2021, 13:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
So your saying there are different dyes for insulated (nylon) and insulated (heat shrink) ? And that the Ancor ones are the correct dye for heat shrink?
yes. look at pic 3 of the first link. A die is the double crimp. it has 2 sets of teeth different sizes. one crimps the metal to the bare wire and one crimps the nyon to the wire jacket for pulling streath.

A5 has one set of teeth and crimps only the metal as the hs is then shrunk to the jacket instead of crimping. the 2nd tooth of A may damage the bare HS. it's also alot easier to line up one tooth instead of 2.

will a double work on HS? probably. but with added hassle.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:43   #8

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Picture from the Wirefly set.

I bought an inexpensive set of HS crimps that came with a 110v mini heat gun and a bright yellow forged crimper. The crimper was the item with the lowest quality in the set, better as a hammer or pliers rather than a crimper or cutter. The cheap stamped ones seemed to do much better crimping...or maybe it's my buttery touch after using them for 30 some years

So far I have been happy with the Wirefly set and those same HS crimps and heat gun. I'll know more this summer when I rewire the boat.
Old 30-04-2021, 13:53   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have those Wirefy crimpers and terminals and they are good. Ancor terminals have thicker walls but I really think Wirefy is good enough. The crimper works on either.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 14:28   #10

Here is the ancor single crimpers I think :

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2697740

But it doesnt even tell you if you can change the dye on this tool?
Old 30-04-2021, 19:34   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Here is the ancor single crimpers I think :

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2697740

But it doesnt even tell you if you can change the dye on this tool?
Yes, that one is for heat shrink terminals. The Wirefy crimper has those dies as well as uninsulated, double crimp and ferrule dies.

The advantage of the Ancor crimper is that it supports 8AWG heat shrink terminals... which I never found for sale though...
I guess the crimper is also higher quality so if I would use it every day all day I may go for it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 20:13   #12

Just a heads up for Australians. Rhino Tools in Australia sell crimper sets apparently identical to Wirefy. It appears they are the same tool, made in Taiwan, sold under different names. Rhino Tools crimpers are available from their online store, and from ebay.com.au, somewhat cheaper than Wirefy.

I have had two Rhino Tools crimper sets, first stolen, now have a set with 12 dies, cost about $200 AUD. They are good, work well, seem quite good quality. The dies can come loose with a knock, or a drop on the floor, something that may irritate a professional doing 100's of crimps a day. But I am happy for boat and car work. The versatility of multiple dies is great.

The wirefy terminals mentioned upthread look interesting, and I have ordered a couple of packs to try them out.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 21:58   #13

Seems like the firefy one represents good value for money as you get 4 dyes with it and its half the price. Mainly good reviews too.
Old 01-05-2021, 00:23   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Put the terminal in the crimper and lightly grip it then introduce the wire and crimp. This way the crimpers half closed and you can steady the knuckle of the hand holding the wire against the side of the crimper.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:00   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

For most all general heat shrink connectors I use the house brand from Sherco.com. But when doing a few things like installing bilge pumps or other things in a wet area or bilge environment I use heat shrink with adhesive.
For times you need to connect 3 wires with a heat shrink they sell a neat amber piece that you slip around the wires inside an oversized connector. Then it turns to goo when heated and fills around all the wires. Some stems add heat shrink tubing.

I like a ratchet style crumpet that has a release trigger and the ability to adjust the crimp tightness.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote