Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 07:42   #1

Boat: Owner built 60í Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Battery Lug Crimpers & DIN rail.

FTZ looks like the gold standard...and price to match.
Any alternatives?
Iíve used Thomas & Betts ,Blackburn terminal lugs for temporary connections.
Tef-Gel on the cable and the screw. Not the quality of a crimped lug but they are useful in some tight spots. Anyone experienced with them ?
DIN rail. Iíve used Ferraz Shawmit power blocks and TefGel. Anyone else using them ?
Thanks in advanced.
Captain Mark and his ďwe ainít Orcas...donít shoot usĒ manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:04   #2
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Battery Lug Crimpers & DIN rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
FTZ looks like the gold standard...and price to match.
Any alternatives?
Iíve used Thomas & Betts ,Blackburn terminal lugs for temporary connections.
Tef-Gel on the cable and the screw. Not the quality of a crimped lug but they are useful in some tight spots. Anyone experienced with them ?
DIN rail. Iíve used Ferraz Shawmit power blocks and TefGel. Anyone else using them ?
Thanks in advanced.
Captain Mark and his ďwe ainít Orcas...donít shoot usĒ manatees
I just bought the crimper on Amazon... price compared to the lugs isnít too bad. Iíll just use Ancor lugs though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A40B13D-7A05-4064-9E08-E1C37A51DCB8.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	225005  
Old 11-10-2020, 14:20   #3

I just made a bunch of 2/0 cables using heavy duty lugs using the FTZ leverage crimpers, my first time using them, having just bought them specifically for this tasks.
I ashamedly own the harbor fright hydraulic crimper and would never trust it for 2/0 Lugs, even if I were to grind out the proper dies size, which would be largely trial and error.

After i made the cables I knew needed replacing, I Found a few suspect terminations and cables That appeared to have gotten quite hot in the past...

Went to West marine to get a few more lugs and all they had was Ancor flared starter lugs. which appeared to have walls 50% less thick. I rotated to the proper dies for 2/0 flared starter lugs and the amount of strength required to close the dies made me think something was wrong, as it was so easy in comparison..

Ordered more of the heavy duty lugs as they are cheaper than Ancor starter lugs in the store, and way more confidence inspiring.

West marine had the Ancor leverage crimper with Hex shaped dies rather than the FTZ's square shaped. Felt like pretty high quality but I did not use it.

Flared starter lugs might be more than good enough, but I showed the boat owner the difference and he was like:
'Order the heavy duty lugs and replace the other suspect cables.'

( hammer crimps, non tinned wire or lugs, blackened with age)
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:54   #4
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI: the problem with the hydraulic crimpers is that they come with metric dies, not AWG dies. This means you can not do a correct crimp on AWG cable.

Rod Collins has a good article on wire termination on his MarineHowto side.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Been using this West Nicopress tool for years. Wont fit all sizes but when you have some flexibility in cable/ lug connection works like a charm.

Frankly

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lbums4368.html
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:21   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

The cheap hydraulic crimpers on Amazon and other places online with the metric dies will work just fine on AWG conductors if operated properly. The tolerances once you get up to #4AWG are much larger than the size differences between metric and Murkahn wire.

As a commercial electrician I've crimped literally thousands of crimps on wires sized #4 and up using all sorts of crimpers and on voltages up to 20KV on primary gear. I'd trust my crimps over those on any production boat I've seen out there not to mention the assortment of horror shows I've seen done DIY.

Ancor lugs are top-notch. They are supposed to crimp easily in a press. Energy wasted in squeezing an overly-stiff lug shell is not utilized for compressing the conductor into a solid mass inside. That's why us pros use a conductive grease inside every crimp we make. Not only does it keep moisture and air out, and protect copper/Al connections -but it lubricates the crimp while it is being crushed down so the swage is as complete as it can be. Less friction = better crimp.

In a pinch you can make your own lugs. Cut off a piece of appropriately-sized copper pipe and let it hang off the end of the wire a few inches. Use plenty of conductive grease such as Ideal Noalox or GB OxGuard. Crimp with a GOOD crimper getting a well-compacted swage inside against the conductor. Flatten the end after crimping and drill the appropriately-sized hole in the flat. Cover with dual-wall marine heat-shrink.

Not exactly UL-listed, but if you start with a clean piece of copper pipe, lightly roughed-up with a reamer brush you'll get a good connection.

But get a decent crimper, even if it is one of the $40 yellow metric mini-hydraulic ones. The Ancor lugs can run $4-5 each. You are basically wasting them if you use those impact hammer presses with them Might as well just use a copper set-screw lug from a hardware store, which would do better in the long run than an impact "press" even on the best of lugs.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:59   #7

Thanks to all for the info. I liked the Collins video. I always use a heavy duty tinned lug but never owned a good large lug crimper.
Iím looking at TEMco TH0006 which claims AWG dies. True? Good quality?
I also considered using anti corrosive inside the lugs in addition to adhesive shrink tube. I was pleased to learn this is done commercially. Thanks.
Iím beginning to lean to commercial stuff more and more. Very pleased with my Schneider Conext MPPT 60 150 controller. I set up all my solar fuses and Shamut Ferez power blocks on DIN rail and Iím impressed with all the DIN rail equipment which is available. I Tef-Gel the wire but I guess other anti corrosive stuff will work. Iíve seen a sort of eyeless lug crimped on some commercial electrical panels but I need to investigate this further. I wish I could learn more about the subject as my house is 24 volts and my new Rolls battery bank is 700 AH. We finally have enough solar to support the demands of my manatees for pizza and cold beer so they donít act like rowdy Orcas.
Again, my thanks.
Happy trails to you
Mark and his ďlove Blue Sea SystemsĒ manatees
Old 12-10-2020, 08:26   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Mark,

when you say "eyeless lug" are you talking about wire ferrules? I prefer to use these on all terminations where ring terminals are not used/appropriate. If using an adhesive heat shrink they also come in a non-insulated variety which is easier to shrink to.

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:06   #9

Thatís the ones. Thank you!
Mark
Old 12-10-2020, 12:25   #10
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Mark,

when you say "eyeless lug" are you talking about wire ferrules? I prefer to use these on all terminations where ring terminals are not used/appropriate. If using an adhesive heat shrink they also come in a non-insulated variety which is easier to shrink to.

These are great. It keeps the strands together, making it much easier to insert wires into screw down connectors, preventing shorts from stray strands, broken strands etc. I like the plastic part because it seals the insulation where it is stripped.

The crimp action with ferrules is weak by design, just to keep it together. They must be clamped down in the screw terminal.
Old 12-10-2020, 13:58   #11

Thanks to both about the white ferrules. Very useful. I had a ground fault message come up on my solar controller but no circuit breaker tripped. One day it showed fault, the next day worked perfect. One of the tiny strands which didnít go all the way into the screw down connector, would just touch the next wire and the computer in the controller would see the fault. Just one strand. I didnít see lt because it was behind the wire but when I removed the wire, there it was.
Using a wire ferrule would have prevented this and given a better contact as well. If anyone knows a good book or web pages on DIN rail installation, please reply. Again, thanks for the help. Happy trails to all.
Mark and his ďgo Seattle SeahawksĒ manatees.
Old 12-10-2020, 19:03   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The cheap hydraulic crimpers on Amazon and other places online with the metric dies will work just fine on AWG conductors if operated properly. The tolerances once you get up to #4AWG are much larger than the size differences between metric and Murkahn wire.

As a commercial electrician I've crimped literally thousands of crimps on wires sized #4 and up using all sorts of crimpers and on voltages up to 20KV on primary gear. I'd trust my crimps over those on any production boat I've seen out there not to mention the assortment of horror shows I've seen done DIY.

Ancor lugs are top-notch. They are supposed to crimp easily in a press. Energy wasted in squeezing an overly-stiff lug shell is not utilized for compressing the conductor into a solid mass inside. That's why us pros use a conductive grease inside every crimp we make. Not only does it keep moisture and air out, and protect copper/Al connections -but it lubricates the crimp while it is being crushed down so the swage is as complete as it can be. Less friction = better crimp.

In a pinch you can make your own lugs. Cut off a piece of appropriately-sized copper pipe and let it hang off the end of the wire a few inches. Use plenty of conductive grease such as Ideal Noalox or GB OxGuard. Crimp with a GOOD crimper getting a well-compacted swage inside against the conductor. Flatten the end after crimping and drill the appropriately-sized hole in the flat. Cover with dual-wall marine heat-shrink.

Not exactly UL-listed, but if you start with a clean piece of copper pipe, lightly roughed-up with a reamer brush you'll get a good connection.

But get a decent crimper, even if it is one of the $40 yellow metric mini-hydraulic ones. The Ancor lugs can run $4-5 each. You are basically wasting them if you use those impact hammer presses with them Might as well just use a copper set-screw lug from a hardware store, which would do better in the long run than an impact "press" even on the best of lugs.
I totally love my cheap Amazon yellow hydraulic crimper. Wow does it put an effin awesome crimp on the lug and if there is any doubt, just downsize it once and recrimp. It's great for tight spaces.
Old 12-10-2020, 19:38   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

I bough the FTZ over the Hf/amazon yellow hydraulic as there are just too many variations and reviews and I think the QC varies too much to take the chance. The FTZ simply had good or great reviews period. That said Iíll give a shout out to https://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/ (no affiliation) just great service and more or less a good one stop electrical shop, if they donít have what you need just ask and chances are theyíll get it for you. Have had them throw and extra couple of feet (yes feet) of adhesive lined shrink tube just because they didnít want me to be short, pretty sure it was for 2/0 or bigger. I now have too much but that small gesture made me a loyal customer.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 20:31   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

Shipping can kill you on copper wire. If you’re looking for local equivalents to Ancor marine wire ask your local electrical supply house for tinned MTW/TEW wire (machine tool wire/tool equipment wire). This is the industrial base on which the Ancor products are built. Many brands carry the same UL and USCG approvals (although you will have to dig through specs to find the right ones). MTW is the same small strand/flexible cable as marine brands and the tinned versions carry the same level of tin coating.

Copper is a commodity, so prices are pretty level, but if you can get a wholesale account you should be able to beat marine store and even online prices.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 20:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Nothing wrong with the FTZ crimpers but the Lawson Tru Crimp (Thomas and Betts) are the best I've ever used. Cost a boat unit but if you are in the business and make cable every week they pay for themselves in a month or so.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery