Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 11:20   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish
How is it in heavy fog, rain?

I've read:

"The ultrasonic sensor is attractive because it has no moving parts ; the arial ultrasonic transmitters and receptors permit measurement of speed and angle of the apparent wind. This sensor is not very often found on regatta boats because the results have to be filtered to obtain acceptable precision, morover in spite of the constructors research it's not rain proof."

This is from NKE, who adopted ultrasonic speed early on with great success.
I have ultrasonic both wind and speed. I am quite disappointed in the speed, Airmar CS-4500, despite the horrendous expense. Erratic readings, and dubious accuracy. But the wind is excellent. No problems in rain.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:25   #17

Re: Has Anyone Actually Reviewed the Triton Pilot

How's the weight and how did you solve the mounting issue to get it out of the upwash upwind?

The unit weighs nearly 3/4 lb which is a lot when you figure about 34g/m for the cable as well. Does the mounting you use eliminate any deflection caused by rapid direction changes that you see at the masthead?
Old 28-08-2013, 13:23   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish
How's the weight and how did you solve the mounting issue to get it out of the upwash upwind?

The unit weighs nearly 3/4 lb which is a lot when you figure about 34g/m for the cable as well. Does the mounting you use eliminate any deflection caused by rapid direction changes that you see at the masthead?
This was a challenge.

I bought a stainless 1 meter antenna mast, plus a socket mount, all from Shakespeare. I bolted the socket firmly to the front of the masthead truck with three loktighted 8mm bolts, electrically isolating it with that yellow goop.

I felt that the stainless mast was too heavy, so I gave it way. I had an aluminum mast made, longer, 1.2 meters. The N2K cable wouldn't go through it, so I had it drilled out. Twice. As the day for the mast going back up crept ever closer.

Now it is very robust, and I think up to any motion. I could stand on it, without any noticeable deflection. At 1.2 meters above the masthead truck, I think out of any wash.

But the much lighter and smaller LJC Capteurs unit will of course be better, in this respect.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-08-2013, 13:26   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We simulate much more complex systems all the time, just put them on the same type of rudder in a lab and feed them all the same input data, then see how they react.

Not a "real world" test in regards to durability unless you add heat, sait mist, etc. but still a pretty darn good test.

I'm sure it is a very good simulation and would be enough for me to test autopilot, anchor, whatever.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 13:34   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have the WSO100 also. I fabricated an aluminum tube wand for the masthead that the WSO100 fits on, so the unit is forward and above the mast - just like the whirlybirds.

The Airmar and LCJ's are smaller, so would possibly be even easier to mount like this.

So far, the WSO100 has been superior to the B&G wind sensor it replaced.

We have never had any problem in rain with it, but we don't heel, so that could make some difference. We have never used it in windy fog, so can't say about that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 14:21   #21

Ah, the Maretron is non-operable at 30 degrees of tilt, which for us is anytime it blows more than 15 knots. Old leadmines with big overhangs like to heel.
Old 28-08-2013, 14:28   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
Ah, the Maretron is non-operable at 30 degrees of tilt, which for us is anytime it blows more than 15 knots. Old leadmines with big overhangs like to heel.
I think it's conservatively rated. We try to stay under 30 degrees of heel, but sometimes the best-laid plans and all that. . . Never had a problem. I thonk heeling is harder on the mechanical ones, actually.

But I bet the LJC Lecteur ones, specifically designed for sailboats, handle that better than the Maretron, which was designed for power boats.
Old 28-08-2013, 15:26   #23

LJC looks better, only 20g heavier than the NKE HR as well. No indication of the accuracy at various degrees of pitch/heel though...