Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 14:35   #31

Boat: Sail-Fortissimo ALU 7,78 mt
Re: Fenix autopilot project - tiller autopilot based on Arduino

Hi Sergio, nice project. I am waiting for all the material to arrive to test your pilot. For the moment I am satisfied to see the Virtuino App on my mobile phone ... on the Arduino (which I already have around) is it enough to put "File HEX Arduino" or do I have to do something else?
Meanwhile, thanks and good wind, ... always!
Max47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 22:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max47 View Post
Hi Sergio, nice project. I am waiting for all the material to arrive to test your pilot. For the moment I am satisfied to see the Virtuino App on my mobile phone ... on the Arduino (which I already have around) is it enough to put "File HEX Arduino" or do I have to do something else?
Meanwhile, thanks and good wind, ... always!
Hello Max47,
All Arduino running software is in the HEX file. The additional data Arduino manages is related to autopilot parameters, calibration of IMU and linear actuator.
Autopilot parameters can be managed from serial interface, and limited capabilities from the App. However, there are default values established and in principle you don't have to change any value in the first uses. Afterwards you might want to fine tune the autopilot behaviour changing default values and permanently saving these into Arduino permanent memory (EEPROM). You can see how to do so in the users manual.
IMU and linear actuator calibration procedures are a must do before using the autopilot, these procedures require of course both devices connected to Arduino. Calibration values will be stored in Arduino permanent memory as well. This procedure can be executed from the App and user manual provides information on how to proceed.

Hope this answers your question.

Tip: I recommend you to start playing and getting familiar with serial interface communication between laptop and Arduino. This provides the best troubleshooting information: when something doesn't work check the information and warning messages to know what is happening.

Best regards,
Sergio
spascual90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 14:45   #33

Hi Sergio, a small complication. Fritzing has a bug in the Ground Fill function (verified on the Internet). See attached file, longitudinal lines. A small problem for my PCB manufacturer requires PDF. I tried various exports and without success. When I remove Remove Copper Fill, do all GNDs remain connected? I haven't checked it yet.
Best regards Vitek
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fenix definitivo_etch_copper_bottom.pdf (53.8 KB, 64 views)
lodnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 16:59   #34

All GNDs remain connected, checked, Ok. Vitek
Old 29-11-2020, 03:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodnik View Post
Hi Sergio, a small complication. Fritzing has a bug in the Ground Fill function (verified on the Internet). See attached file, longitudinal lines. A small problem for my PCB manufacturer requires PDF. I tried various exports and without success. When I remove Remove Copper Fill, do all GNDs remain connected? I haven't checked it yet.
Best regards Vitek
Hello Vitek,
I just uploaded the .zip file to JLCPCB to make an order and the checking process did not raise any warning or error. However, it does not use pdf but gerber files. Maybe the bug in Fritzing is only impacting pdf... .
I use JLCPCB online service and it works very well, good quality. The only problem is that shipping from China is more expensive than the PCB itshelf.jlcpcb

As per your last message you could rework the design to remove copper layer and GND lines are still there. Good news! Could you share the fixed PDF in order to include it as part of the PCB zip in Github? Thanks!

Please keep on posting your progress. This PCB design has not been tested and your experience will be of high value to all people following.

Best regards,
Sergio
Old 06-12-2020, 04:43   #36

Ciao Sergio,
I am attaching a couple of photos. Looking forward to completing everything and rehearsing.
I need all the information possible, for example this link doesn't work: https://emacua.fandom.com/wiki/EMacua_Wiki
In private, I will ask you other things. In the meantime, thanks for your time.
Good wind, always!

https://i.imgur.com/vwBlJtd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oaAALP5.jpg
Old 13-12-2020, 03:38   #37

Quote:
Ciao Sergio,
I am attaching a couple of photos. Looking forward to completing everything and rehearsing.
I need all the information possible, for example this link doesn't work: https://emacua.fandom.com/wiki/EMacua_Wiki
In private, I will ask you other things. In the meantime, thanks for your time.
Good wind, always!

https://i.imgur.com/vwBlJtd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oaAALP5.jpg
Hello!
the wiki was in a free server and one day all information disapeared! I think there is a backup in my laptop. This contains all analysis and design information I built along years!

I see good progress in your project! Send more pictures/ videos when you receive the IMU and linear actuator!

Regards,
Sergio
Old 16-12-2020, 03:44   #38

Ok, thanks, as soon as I'm ready, I'll post photos.
Ciao.
Old 28-12-2020, 11:58   #39

Hi Sergio, a crystal is added to the CJMCU-055 package from Aliexpress. Did you involve him? I also have an IMU BNO055 from Adafruit, they probably use a ceramic resonator, I will try both later. The linear motor has already arrived, I'm still waiting for the box and they will start assembling. Vítek
Old 28-12-2020, 13:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodnik View Post
Hi Sergio, a crystal is added to the CJMCU-055 package from Aliexpress. Did you involve him? I also have an IMU BNO055 from Adafruit, they probably use a ceramic resonator, I will try both later. The linear motor has already arrived, I'm still waiting for the box and they will start assembling. Vítek
Hi Vitek,
Yes, you have to solder the crystal. Also remember to solder two bridges as per the picture attached to short circuit S0 and S1. (Don't worry about the wire drawn from GND to I2C in the picture. This is implemented as part of Fenix PCB.)

I've never tested the adafruit one. Please let me know the results of your experience with that one.

Regards
SergioClick image for larger version

Name:	SCHEMATICS-9f91e269.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	229553
Old 31-12-2020, 08:29   #41

Hello Sergio and Happy New Year,
MCU-055 arrived from China, connected and calibrated ... but now I can't calibrate and operate the actuator, where am I wrong?

- https://imgur.com/TALY13e
- https://imgur.com/35cESJv
Old 03-01-2021, 12:54   #42

Quote:
Hello Sergio and Happy New Year,
MCU-055 arrived from China, connected and calibrated ... but now I can't calibrate and operate the actuator, where am I wrong?

- https://imgur.com/TALY13e
- https://imgur.com/35cESJv
Opss, solved.
I had to fix the jumpers on the MD 10.
Now I just have to (so to speak) refine the settings ... as soon as the damn covid allows it, I'll try it in real life on my little boat!
Nice project and, if I did it, I don't like electronics in general and software etc ... etc ... well, Happy New Year again! (hopefully ...)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:47   #43

Quote:
Opss, solved.
I had to fix the jumpers on the MD 10.
Now I just have to (so to speak) refine the settings ... as soon as the damn covid allows it, I'll try it in real life on my little boat!
Nice project and, if I did it, I don't like electronics in general and software etc ... etc ... well, Happy New Year again! (hopefully ...)
2021 starts to be a better than 2020 for our project as well. jajaja.
I will take into account your feedback to improve the documentation and others will get benefit of it.

Happy New Year!
Sergio
Old 12-01-2021, 06:53   #44

Ciao Sergio,
I updated both Fenix and Virtuino (2.1_beta) to the new version. I still find it difficult to calibrate both the IMU and the actuator. I'll have to study again. Meanwhile, a question: The step-down converter at how many volts should the output be adjusted?
Old 12-01-2021, 07:03   #45

Quote:
Ciao Sergio,

I updated both Fenix and Virtuino (2.1_beta) to the new version. I still find it difficult to calibrate both the IMU and the actuator. I'll have to study again. Meanwhile, a question: The step-down converter at how many volts should the output be adjusted?
Hi!
I recommend 9V. Any Voltage over 8.5V and below 12V should be good. This is to prevent overheating while ensuring the autopilot is powered through this cable and not through USB.

Please be more specific on the difficulties you are facing. A dump of your serial interface messages would help.

Regards
Sergio

Tags
autopilot, project