Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 12:23   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Enhance Weak Marina WI-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We, and our neighbors, have been fighting poor marina Internet (WiFi) for years and complaining to the marina constantly. I was told by other cruisers that I would never get it to work, just give up and take my tablet or laptop to the marina lounge. The marina said, "This is all we can do, take it or leave it." (Nice, huh?). I tried all kinds of antennas and routers. Nothing worked. Even high end omni WiFi antennas on neighbor's boats did not work well.

BUT NOW I have solved this issue at least for myself, for $56.

In my opinion the problem is directional. Most WiFi antennas, including special high end omni antennas, accept signals from any direction, and in a marina you get bounced signals from all the masts and other equipment around you. The WiFi card cannot easily resolve all the bounced signals. I noticed one guy, who was working from his boat at the END of the dock, had no complaints about the WiFi. He was using a flat rectangular Ubiguiti antenna system. Nice! But it costs too much.

Then I found a product, the Bear Outdoor Extender, https://www.bearifi.com/products/bea...wi-fi-extender which is a flat, rectangular, directional antenna and plugs directly into my laptop with its USB cable.

I point this towards the Marina's antenna and Bingo, Internet works great for us. We also use it anchor and have connected from AP's at least 1/2 mile and often farther away. Of course you have to re-orient it when you boat moves.

But this device works. Netflix and other streaming are no problems.
That's not an antenna, that is basically an AP with a builtin antenna. A regular antenna for use with existing equipment would likely have an RP-SMA or BNC Plug and connect directly to the router, access point or other device.

If it has a USB cable then it is most likely an access point or router. Nothing wrong with that, but you want to check the software the before hand to ensure that you have complete control over how it operates.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 13:11   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Cost effective (20-50USD):

A range extender like a TP-Link, hoisted up in the rigging, and output lead with a long ethernet cable to either a router onboard (or, if no router) directly to your laptop ethernet port.

The ethernet challenge: not all laptops today have ethernet ports anymore, and tablets, smartphones do not have these either.

A trick - these extenders can also work without ethernet cable as a plain wifi to wifi device.

REAL challenge - waterproofing one so that a 220 Volt entry does not short during next planned downpour. And you need as long a 220 cable as it gets from your boat to the extender danglig up there under the spreader.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-netw...ange-extender/

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 13:19   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
That's not an antenna, that is basically an AP with a builtin antenna. A regular antenna for use with existing equipment would likely have an RP-SMA or BNC Plug and connect directly to the router, access point or other device.

If it has a USB cable then it is most likely an access point or router. Nothing wrong with that, but you want to check the software the before hand to ensure that you have complete control over how it operates.
I think you are wrong about this. Windows10 and my Dell recognize this as a WiFi antenna and Bear's documentation: (BearExtender Outdoor is a long range Wi-Fi booster for Microsoft Windows computers. It combines a high power Wi-Fi amplifier and a high gain 10 dBi directional antenna inside a durable IP65 certified water and dust resistant enclosure) says it is an amplified antenna. There is no router function or access point function and it does not radiate WiFi except to the access point to which it is connected.
Old 15-07-2020, 13:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Cost effective (20-50USD):

A range extender like a TP-Link, hoisted up in the rigging, and output lead with a long ethernet cable to either a router onboard (or, if no router) directly to your laptop ethernet port.

The ethernet challenge: not all laptops today have ethernet ports anymore, and tablets, smartphones do not have these either.

A trick - these extenders can also work without ethernet cable as a plain wifi to wifi device.

REAL challenge - waterproofing one so that a 220 Volt entry does not short during next planned downpour. And you need as long a 220 cable as it gets from your boat to the extender danglig up there under the spreader.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-netw...ange-extender/

b.
Barnakiel, I've used the Tp-Link. It helps a bit but it does not solve the problem of signal clutter.
Old 15-07-2020, 14:02   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Mind USB cables hate getting extended. So a USB adapter stick outside is only half good. Tried, tested, does not improve reception too much once a longer USB cable is deployed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 09:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I really don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so here it goes.

The free marina Wi-Fi signal is marginal in my cabin. What is the most cost-efficient doo-dad I can buy to receive and repeat the signal. I have several theories, and would like to hear some real world experiences.

Remember cost-efficient (Cheap). I am doing another 8 days in quarantine and want to see Netflix at night

Thanks
If you have a smart phone or tablet that has cell / data capability(and there is cell / data service where you are), probably the simplest and probably cheapest solution is buy a sim card (maybe data only sim card), that allows you to buy Gigs as you go, if you use up what whatever amount of data comes with sim card.

Then use your cellphone or tablet as a WIFI hotspot for your own use, if you want to watch on a bigger screen.

Good idea before buying anything, as already been suggested, is determine if the problem is a bandwidth issue or reception issue. If it is bandwidth issue then you will need to find another source or create another WIFI source with enough bandwidth. If it is a reception issue you may be able to add something to improve reception. But I doubt doing whatever to improve reception will be cheaper to you using a smart phone or tablet with a sim card with data to provide , if that is possible/viable with your circumstances.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
If you have a smart phone or tablet that has cell / data capability(and there is cell / data service where you are), probably the simplest and probably cheapest solution is buy a sim card (maybe data only sim card), that allows you to buy Gigs as you go, if you use up what whatever amount of data comes with sim card.

Then use your cellphone or tablet as a WIFI hotspot for your own use, if you want to watch on a bigger screen.

Good idea before buying anything, as already been suggested, is determine if the problem is a bandwidth issue or reception issue. If it is bandwidth issue then you will need to find another source or create another WIFI source with enough bandwidth. If it is a reception issue you may be able to add something to improve reception. But I doubt doing whatever to improve reception will be cheaper to you using a smart phone or tablet with a sim card with data to provide , if that is possible/viable with your circumstances.
Augi, OP was asking about WiFi.

Yes, the utility of cell a phone connection is attractive, but the data cost is ongoing, week after week, and several popular Internet uses are very heavy bandwidth consumers, making cell phone usage much more expensive. For example, streaming movies or TV shows, or even YouTube shows, can use a GB every 2 or 3 days. I don't view cell phone as viable for streaming video. When we are using cell phone for Internet, we just don't stream video. Even browsing FB gets expensive.

WiFi, on the other hand, is generally provided without data limits, so the cost of getting set up with equipment is one time only, after that there is no additional cost. However, as has been noted, marina WiFi is often poor quality and it does not take many users to bog it down. In our case, everyone complained about marina wifi and said it was unusable. We however, once we found a technical solution which works, find it fine and use it every day.

The best solution for cruising boats is a dual system, WiFi for when it is available, and cell phone for when it is not, but the WiFi solution must focus on the reception side, and in my view, that means a directional antenna.
Old 16-07-2020, 10:22   #23

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

I stayed on my boat several Summers and found I could stream Netflix while on a mooring using Verizon. I would just pay for unlimited data for those months I was aboard.
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:25   #24

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I'm happy with my Coastal Marine Wifi system which uses the bullet but includes a router, app, etc. I have the antenna mounted on top of my mizzen and my favorite feature is the ability to adjust the power setting so that in a crowded marina I can lock onto the signal with more power than the others.

But, I have yet to be in a marina (CA, OR, WA) that has fast enough wifi for decent streaming.

With slow marina wifi I can do email, internet, and even update whole operating systems by letting an update run overnight. Streaming is typically slow, blurry, with lots of buffering, even at SD.

I prefer to use one of the cellular providers that offers unlimited streaming. I'm happy with T-Mobile and it's not expensive to get the lowest plan that includes unlimited streaming, but other companies offer this as well.

Then, you might need a cell signal booster!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 11:22   #25

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

There are two issues. One is receiving, the other is transmitting. Your pc, laptop, cell (if using the marina) might see the signal coming in, but not reach going out.

A better antenna may help both send and receive. If directional (better still), it should be positioned in view of the marina antenna. Better still is a signal booster--sending out a stronger signal from your boat to the marina

What you do NOT need is another system rebroadcasting (and sucking up bandwidth) , but something that plugs into your USB. The cheapest,most powerful solution used to be an ALFA Marine sold on Amazon. The design has since been changed and reports of performance are not good. The early model was far better.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ou.../dp/B003ILWRLI

You might check out:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alfa+wire...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:15   #26

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Check out the offerings from Alfa. Many "marine WiFi" suppliers use their products in their rather expensive turnkey marine systems.
Example
https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036N.../dp/B003YIFHJY
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan j View Post
I stayed on my boat several Summers and found I could stream Netflix while on a mooring using Verizon. I would just pay for unlimited data for those months I was aboard.
Looking on line I see Verizon Unlimited Starts at $70/month. At that price you get up to 25 GB before being slowed. You cannot set up a hotspot for other devices. For two phones it is $120 per month.
You cannot use it internationally except Canada and Mexico, then if 50% or more of your data is from Canada or Mexico in a 2 month period, your service may be limited or removed.

To get 50gb and allowing hotspots, you pay $80/mo
Old 16-07-2020, 12:30   #28

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

This Bear has a 10Db gain directional antenna inside the box. It also boosts signals from the computer to 1000mw. I understand most laptops put out about 150 mw signals. Hard to beat for the price. The USB connects to one computer, or to a router. It is NOT MacOs compatible.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:36   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Augi, OP was asking about WiFi.

Yes, the utility of cell a phone connection is attractive, but the data cost is ongoing, week after week, and several popular Internet uses are very heavy bandwidth consumers, making cell phone usage much more expensive. For example, streaming movies or TV shows, or even YouTube shows, can use a GB every 2 or 3 days. I don't view cell phone as viable for streaming video. When we are using cell phone for Internet, we just don't stream video. Even browsing FB gets expensive.

WiFi, on the other hand, is generally provided without data limits, so the cost of getting set up with equipment is one time only, after that there is no additional cost. However, as has been noted, marina WiFi is often poor quality and it does not take many users to bog it down. In our case, everyone complained about marina wifi and said it was unusable. We however, once we found a technical solution which works, find it fine and use it every day.

The best solution for cruising boats is a dual system, WiFi for when it is available, and cell phone for when it is not, but the WiFi solution must focus on the reception side, and in my view, that means a directional antenna.
I agree for long term use WIFI is often free or at least cheaper, not a data plan provided by a cellular company or pay as you go sim card.

But the OP says he only needs increased bandwidth or better reception for 8 days to stream movies. Unless it is a very simple reception issue, any other reception issue or if the marina WIFI does not provide enough bandwidth the likely less expensive and hassle free option is short term increase the data he gets from his cell plan, if possible, or buy a pay as you go sim card with data.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
...But, I have yet to be in a marina (CA, OR, WA) that has fast enough wifi for decent streaming...
I think you would find that the speed is slowed down when using an omni directional antenna as there may be a lot of packet resending going on due to multiple paths that the signal is taking to and from your boat to the Access Point. High power could exacerbate this (signals bouncing from farther distant places)

Multipath propagation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation
In radio communication, multipath is the propagation phenomenon that results in radio signals reaching the receiving antenna by two or more paths. Causes of multipath include atmospheric ducting, ionospheric reflection and refraction, and reflection from water bodies and terrestrial objects such as mountains and buildings.

Multipath propagation causes multipath interference, including constructive and destructive interference, and phase shifting of the signal; destructive interference causes fading. This may cause a radio signal to become too weak in certain areas to be received adequately, so multipath propagation can be detrimental in radio communication systems. Where the magnitudes of the signals arriving by the various paths have a distribution known as the Rayleigh distribution, this is known as Rayleigh fading. Where one component (often, but not necessarily, a line of sight component) dominates, a Rician distribution provides a more accurate model, and this is known as Rician fading.