Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 08:10   #31

Re: Emergency anchor light?

Whether a light was certified would certainly come up in court, but it alone would not decide things one way or the other. Lawsuits don't work that way.

If I was a lawyer, I'd argue that a boat left completely dark except for a single certified 10 watt incandescent bulb at the top of a 60' mast was effectively invisible to my client in a small outboard with a canvas top against the other lights on the shore. And that the anchored boat knew there were small outboards in the area and should have provided additional lights.

I'd also argue that the anchored vessel was violating COLREGS 2A. "Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master, or crew thereof, from the consequences ..... of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case."

It's hard to say if the argument would work but I'd give it my best shot.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:13   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sorry about want looks like a double post but isn’t, Internet was down here for a few minutes.

My whole argument boils down to something simple.
It’s not expensive or hard to use certified safety gear, so why not use such?

Just had my boat inspected by the CG Auxiliary to get the sticker in the hope that will make me have less visitors this year.
Wanna bet if I had shown him home made lights, I would not have gotten that sticker?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:21   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

It all boils down to how risk adverse are you? I’m not necessarily risk adverse, but come from a background where you mitigate all risks that are reasonable to do so, and an approved anchor light is so easy to do, and not very expensive, so why not?
Why not? For me it was because it is easy to make a better product for less.

And since there is so far no data at all on the risks of being involved in an incident then getting in trouble somehow for having a light which exceeds the requirements but doesn't have on countries stamp of approval it really doesn't seem to make any sense to be running scared of a risk which doesn't seem to exist.

Quick guessed costs, 15 cree wan503 LEDs - 0.25 each? ~ $4
TLV431 for regultor ~ $2
FET ~ $0.50
Perf board/bits ~ $3

Then a piece of plumbing pipe & some epoxy to pot , maybe $20 with delivery of components?

Regulator circuit >

()
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:26   #34

I believe we should all adopt the obviously safer two all-around white anchor lights required in COLREGS 30(a). This calls for one light forward and a second lower aft or on the stern. While it's legal for a boat less than 50M to show only one light under the 30(b) exception, why do the absolute minimum? In an era of low draw LED lights, it seems bad seamanship to not follow 30(a).

RULE 30 Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: (i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball; and (ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters or more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:33   #35

Quote:
Sorry about want looks like a double post but isn’t, Internet was down here for a few minutes.

My whole argument boils down to something simple.
It’s not expensive or hard to use certified safety gear, so why not use such?

Just had my boat inspected by the CG Auxiliary to get the sticker in the hope that will make me have less visitors this year.
Wanna bet if I had shown him home made lights, I would not have gotten that sticker?
Could you report next year as to whether the sticker works. I used to get them and they helped. But I've been told that in many parts of the country this sticker has no effect as to whether or not the CG will board you (although it may speed up the inspection) Post 9/11 rules. Terrorists can have stickers.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:43   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Why not? For me it was because it is easy to make a better product for less.

, maybe $20 with delivery of components?
I spent less that that on the one I got amazon that are approved for use.

It's pretty impossible really to single use make stuff less than you can but it for.

But I'm sure it gave you something to do.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:52   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

But I'm sure it gave you something to do.
Not only that, it's almost certainly a lot better than your Amazon cheopo and will likely last a lot longer.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:14   #38
cruiser

Quote:
If turning it on to show how bright it was didn't work then maybe not a lot you can do about over zealous officials who don't even know the regulations they are supposed to be enforcing..
Old 26-05-2018, 09:15   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Terrorists can have stickers.

I know they are not supposed to profile, but how many Ma and Pa Retirement aged, overweight terrorist have you ever heard of? Then add in on a sailboat.
There ought to be some common sense applied.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:16   #40
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Not only that, it's almost certainly a lot better than your Amazon cheopo and will likely last a lot longer.
If it makes you feel better then sure.

I bet you make the LEDs and wires themselves and didn't just go buy some, because then you would just have cheapo "guts" on your high quality light

BTW - if my cheapo lasts 17 years (that's the age of the other still working cheapo lights on the boat) that is long enough for me

In the end I don't care what lights people use etc. as long as they use them and I can see them when needed.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:18   #41
CLOD

Quote:
I know they are not supposed to profile, but how many Ma and Pa Retirement aged, overweight terrorist have you ever heard of? Then add in on a sailboat.
There ought to be some common sense applied.
sounds like someone is missing a market
Old 26-05-2018, 12:18   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim-
"yet I have never heard of any factual occurrence"
What are the odds that you will be killed by a passing seabird dropping a tortoise on your head? Impossible, never heard of it?
And yet, I think it was the Greek author Aeschylus who died that way around 500BC. Apparently it mistook his bald head for a rock, and seabirds like to crack things open by dropping them on rocks.
Yeah, it doesn't keep me up at night either. Still...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 14:30   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim-
"yet I have never heard of any factual occurrence"
What are the odds that you will be killed by a passing seabird dropping a tortoise on your head? Impossible, never heard of it?
And yet, I think it was the Greek author Aeschylus who died that way around 500BC. Apparently it mistook his bald head for a rock, and seabirds like to crack things open by dropping them on rocks.
Yeah, it doesn't keep me up at night either. Still...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
I reckon your Greek example is rather equivalent to all the apocryphal stories about lawsuits that have been posted here. I don't put much value on any of them.

And it would take a pretty heroic sea bird to hoist a tortoise (a land based animal) of sufficient mass to kill a hard headed Greek!

Jim
Old 26-05-2018, 18:54   #44

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So many aren't, useless little glowworm lights, pisses me off greatly.
Even worse are the idiots that think they don't need one at all.
Nearly took a boat out 6 mths ago when we came into an anchorage around 2am,pitch black and drizzle.
Lucky for him I decided to sweep the anchorage with a searchlight as we entered as he was invisible.

Maybe that ‘ idiot’ had an unintentional electrical mishap, and maybe you should try to avoid piloting your tank through an occupied anchorage at 2am in pitch black drizzle.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:09   #45

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Maybe that ‘ idiot’ had an unintentional electrical mishap, and maybe you should try to avoid piloting your tank through an occupied anchorage at 2am in pitch black drizzle.
Regardless, that idiot should have and could have rigged something.
The fact that he didn't proves he is an idiot.

As for us moving around at 2am, where does it say we can't?
Competent people can move whenever they like, it may be out of your skill set but it certainly isn't for us.
We were moving due to weather change making previous anchorage untenable, we weren't doing it for fun.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc