Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 22:50   #46

Boat: 41' yawl
Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Regardless, that idiot should have and could have rigged something.
The fact that he didn't proves he is an idiot.

As for us moving around at 2am, where does it say we can't?
Competent people can move whenever they like, it may be out of your skill set but it certainly isn't for us.
We were moving due to weather change making previous anchorage untenable, we weren't doing it for fun.

Personally I think you made the wrong choice, you could have held station at your previous anchorage rather than risk other people’s safety bombing through a new anchorage in pitch black drizzle.

Given how little I know about the situation I could certainly be wrong, but thats not the point and I don’t care to hear your details. I present it merely as an example of one man’s ‘competent’ being another man’s overconfident ‘idiot’.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 23:19   #47

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post

Personally I think you made the wrong choice, you could have held station at your previous anchorage rather than risk other people’s safety bombing through a new anchorage in pitch black drizzle.

Given how little I know about the situation .
And you should have left it at that.

The anchorage we left had turned 30+ knots and lee shore so only an irresponsible fool would suggest "hold station" when a safe anchorage was a few short miles away

As for risking other people safety by "bombing" an anchorage in the dark
A) 5 knots is hardly a high speed
B) mid week and the idiot was the only boat in the anchorage
C) if he didn't want his safety risked he should have had a light on.

Do you want to keep playing, I can do this all night.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 01:09   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I am looking for a cheap battery powered solution, would a simple LED camping lantern do the job?

Just chucked one of those in the bin. Looked a good idea but the switch failed and it was only used once.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:30   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Just chucked one of those in the bin. Looked a good idea but the switch failed and it was only used once.

Pete

I have three of them and use them for work all of the time.
One I have is actually also a flashlight, the base has a flashlight in it, the other two are just lanterns.
The lanterns turn on by merely opening it, the one that is a lantern/ flashlight combo has a switch that you push and it turn on the flashlight, then the lantern, then off of course.

I’m not sure any would last all night though, and I think they take three AA batteries, so very quickly you would go though more $$ in batteries than a proper anchor light would cost.
But for an emergency light? Yes, I think they would work.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	170598
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 13:35   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just in my home area, I know of two recent night-time boating accidents involving fatalities. In both cases, one (apparently drunk and at-fault) go-fast boater crashed into an anchored boat (in one case) or slow-moving boat (in the other case.) In both cases, the attorney for the go-fast went to great lengths to try to prove that the (in my view, innocent) victims were to blame because of inadequate lighting.

But you don't have to believe me. Feel free to do your own research. Or ignore it.

And, yes, better to use ANYthing in an emergency than have nothing at all. Lots of folks have a spare (approved) all-around light they can hang from the rigging if the one on the mast fails.
Indeed, it seems I should get something certified to keep the morons at bay - even though a lantern might well be brighter. The point is to have a unit that has its own battery in case the main banks are flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m not sure any would last all night though, and I think they take three AA batteries, so very quickly you would go though more $$ in batteries than a proper anchor light would cost.
I have some rechargeable eneloops, they should do the trick.
Old 27-05-2018, 14:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
In many places in the world anchor lights arent used, locals dont recognize them. My main lighting is a long led strip in the cockpit. It lights up the back off the boat alot and I believe not only serves as a better anchor light but is a good deterrent regarding intruders as well as making your boat easy to find at night. Downside it can and does attract insects. Certainly produces alot more light than the traditional top of the mast light.
Good idea! I'll get something that illuminates most of the deck. Colregs mandate this for large ships thus it'd only help in any kind of legal dispute - besides making the boat much easier to spot and avoid.

Try this one for those 6-legged intruders
Old 27-05-2018, 15:47   #52

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
And you should have left it at that.

The anchorage we left had turned 30+ knots and lee shore so only an irresponsible fool would suggest "hold station" when a safe anchorage was a few short miles away

As for risking other people safety by "bombing" an anchorage in the dark
A) 5 knots is hardly a high speed
B) mid week and the idiot was the only boat in the anchorage
C) if he didn't want his safety risked he should have had a light on.

Do you want to keep playing, I can do this all night.

Since you were entering an anchorage under conditions of reduced visibility - did you use your radar - as suggested by the COLREG's?

When underway at night I normally use the radar to make sure my set of MK-I eye balls haven't missed something. It is a no-brainer to do whenever visibility is reduced and hazards may exist.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 16:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Since you were entering an anchorage under conditions of reduced visibility - did you use your radar - as suggested by the COLREG's?

When underway at night I normally use the radar to make sure my set of MK-I eye balls haven't missed something. It is a no-brainer to do whenever visibility is reduced and hazards may exist.
As you say, it is a suggestion
There is no requirement for me to run radar and most boats don't have it.
But there is a requirement to run lights and this muppet couldn't be bothered doing that.

But yes I do run and scan radar in open water, but conditions weren't bad enough that I couldn't see what was in front if boats are lit as is their legal obligation.

Navigation lights, sand banks and limited space dictated eyes up, not down coming into this anchorage.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:34   #54

Boat: Valiant 40

Remember folks we are talking about emergency anchor light. If we had backups for every critical system or piece of equipment on board that was equal to the primary...well our freeboard would be significantly lower.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 16:54   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But yes I do run and scan radar in open water, but conditions weren't bad enough that I couldn't see what was in front if boats are lit as is their legal obligation.
Simi, I share your opinion of folks who fail to display anchor lights, but to me the fact that so many DO fail is exactly why it would be appropriate to use radar when entering an anchorage in limited visibility (and that includes simple darkness). Doesn't require constant staring at the screen, but occasional checks to see if a hulk awaits you in the gloom is a good allocation of your attention.

Use of a spotlight is a good idea as well, but I've found that the degradation of night vision that accompanies this usage is a drawback.

And for those who feel that a lamp that is independent of ship's batteries is necessary, a typical LED will light with down to 10 volts supply, and even a really flat house or start battery will provide that for hours. I say that a portable lamp with a good LED tied into the house power is the best "emergency" anchor light scheme.

Jim
Old 27-05-2018, 16:57   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Remember folks we are talking about emergency anchor light.
And this guy did.
An internal light came on when we it him up with the searchlight and buffeted him with prop wash manoeuvering around him, so he could have left that internal light on if his masthead had failed.
But his masthead had not failed as it worked for the next couple of nights, the guy simply thought the rules do not apply to him or that boats don't move after 4pm.
Unfortunately that seems quite common. Many owners seem to turn anchor lights off when they go to bed.
Old 27-05-2018, 17:06   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Emergency anchor light?

You know, maybe he just forgot to turn the thing on?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 17:42   #58

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
As you say, it is a suggestion
There is no requirement for me to run radar and most boats don't have it.
But there is a requirement to run lights and this muppet couldn't be bothered doing that.

Navigation lights, sand banks and limited space dictated eyes up, not down coming into this anchorage.
I believe it's not a requirement to have radar, but, Rule 7 states: "proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational,". IOW, if you have it and it's functional, you shall use it for collision avoidance.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 17:59   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, maybe he just forgot to turn the thing on?
Or maybe he turned it off when he went to bed, seen it before.
And if someone less on the ball had come in, like a boat without a searchlight and or radar, he could have had a rude awakening.
Old 27-05-2018, 18:02   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I believe it's not a requirement to have radar, but, Rule 7 states: "proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational,". IOW, if you have it and it's functional, you shall use it for collision avoidance.
luckily for him I didn't go on your interpretation of heads down in radar and not looking where I was going.
Searchlight was far more effective at lighting him up, big white thing in front vs tiny green dot amongst other green dots on a screen.

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc