Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 18:12   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Just as well I didn't go on your interpretation of heads down in radar and not looking where I was going.
Searchlight was far more effective at lighting him up, big white thing in front vs tiny green dot amongst other green dots on a screen.
No argument except with your statement of no requirement to run radar.....my interpretation of the colregs is that, yes, if you have radar, it is a requirement to run it.

FWIW, proper radar use isn't so demanding to disallow looking where one is going, but then YMMV.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:57   #62

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
No argument except with your statement of no requirement to run radar.....my interpretation of the colregs is that, yes, if you have radar, it is a requirement to run it.
And I did run it.

It is also a requirement of colregs to run an anchor light yet I don't see you harping on the other vessels inability to do that.

Quote:
FWIW, proper radar use isn't so demanding to disallow looking where one is going, but then YMMV.
Most sailing boats I have been on that have radar have it mounted below at a nav station.
How do you propose they fill your interpretation of looking at it yet remain up top posting a proper look out and control of the vessel?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 19:17   #63

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
And I did run it.

It is also a requirement of colregs to run an anchor light yet I don't see you harping on the other vessels inability to do that.
I haven't seen any post from that vessel... Not sure how desecrating their actions here would result in altered future behavior.

Quote:
Most sailing boats I have been on that have radar have it mounted below at a nav station.
How do you propose they fill your interpretation of looking at it yet remain up top posting a proper look out and control of the vessel?
I propose they rethink why they have radar if it's not accessible by the person at the helm/on watch? Modern boats have a radar screens at both helm and nav station.

The only difference between what you did and what I would do is that I would have seen that offending boat on radar first, then used a search light and horn to both annoy the offender and verify close passage clearance around them.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 21:59   #64

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mainly, we come into anchorages in daylight, but it is not always possible, especially on longer trips where there are no "bail out spots".

It is common to find unlit boats. It's not a BIG deal, although I do find it annoying. Even though they're not doing what the law obliges, even though it increases risk to both them and us. It's part of life. Some of the time someone's anchor light shall have failed. Maybe it's the connection, maybe it's a bulb at the masthead, maybe the skipper can't get up the mast to fix it by him/herself. It is our job to avoid collision. At night, wherever possible, I prefer to not use the searchlight. It causes light scatter, impairs night vision, and is almost useless in heavy rain or fog. But it sure lights up boats! So, also, are garden lights useless as anchor lights.

I think, for the OP, that the lantern should do him as a emergency light. Of course, what Jim suggested would be better, and now he can take care of it that way, if he chooses. Thank you for that, conachair. Whether or not he does, it is our job, as the non-anchored vessel, to stay clear of the other one.

Harassing the other one by use of horn or by "waking" is unnecessary, and it is not our job to teach everyone proper procedures. If he or she is unlit, it's either on purpose, or not. Either way we have to avoid them. They SHOULD have a legal anchor light, but as long as I can see them, I don't give a tinker's damn whether or not it is "legal." The deal is to avoid them, not teach them "proper manners." We who are in motion are the burdened ones, and appreciate all reasonable efforts made to make your anchored vessel visible.

Ann
Old 27-05-2018, 22:07   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Both our Insatiables have started out with the radar display below decks. We changed both of them to allow the helmsperson to view the screen and make the required adjustments.

I guess it all depends upon your view of the necessity of radar in our recreational boats. With it below decks it's pretty useless most of the time, so if you think (as I do) that it is an important part of your nav gear, it is worth moving into a useful place.

Jim
Old 27-05-2018, 23:23   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
They cost more last upto 5 times longer and generally draw less current per watt lumen of lighting

Doesn't matter what type of light it is (and to a certain expect, the same applies for any other electrical device) , it will draw the same current per Watt. (You don't measure light output in Watts)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 00:28   #67

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Indeed, it seems I should get something certified to keep the morons at bay - even though a lantern might well be brighter. The point is to have a unit that has its own battery in case the main banks are flat.

I have some rechargeable eneloops, they should do the trick.

Have a Decathlon nearby?
They have camping lights that are cheap, bright, waterproof and last a long time on 3 AA batteries. Not certified by anyone but since you are not in the US I would not bother.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 03:41   #68

Boat: Bristol 27

The lantern I use as my main anchor light is actually way too strong on the high setting so I use it on the lower setting.

It also has a flashing setting.

Be careful with your lantern's placement though. I got pooped at anchor a couple nights ago and the lantern was basically blinding me from seeing what type of waves were coming next. This took place at around 4 am.

It was a hectic situation for a while, but I had to delay a bit to turn off the lantern which could have resulted in another wave possibly over the side (before I could do anything) since the boat was swinging a lot due to wind and current/tide
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc