Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54   #16

Re: De Lorme Inreach Weather Forecasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
We are big fans of the DeLorme and have used it now for several years. The addition of weather is great - I can't comment on your location bit we used in on a recent trip to Mexico and Cuba and it worked well. We also recently added iridium Go, but I found we used we used the DeLorme much more and also for communications to our land support who also kept an eye on weather for us.
Hi & thanks for the comment. That's another vote of confidence in the DeLorme. Looking like a good place to start. I have used top of the range (but old) Furuno GMDSS Sat-C equipment on offshore work boats. We had the forecasts sent to us in plain English, straight from the Bureau of Met. It was so easy to understand & it is strange that De Lorme and others don't offer that format. More than 140 characters of course, but I don't mind receiving two messages!
Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 13:24   #17

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: De Lorme Inreach Weather Forecasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddave View Post
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info and ideas. One interesting point I picked up (from the Galley) was that the DeLorme forecasts can be sketchy for coastal areas outside USA. For our purposes it may be adequate to have family summarise forecasts and Text them to us. Email facility is desirable & upgrading to the new Iridium GO in a year or two would be likely.
Julie & I have just returned from a visit to Broome, which is the southern gateway to the Kimberleys. The weather was perfect, 27 to 30 degrees with light to moderate easterlies most of the time!! Hard to take and easy to forecast.
Dave
Hey Dave,

It sounds like you are in for some fabulous sailing conditions...

I agree, with someone to feed you additional info, an SMS only device is very useful, and one worthy solution.

Since all this stuff just gets better and [hopefully] cheaper, it is sometimes worth waiting until you absolutely need it. Then buy what is best for you and expect it to become outdated at some point in the future... [But being outdated doesn't mean it still wont suit your needs...]

Cheers, and safe travels!

Bill

Tags
forecast, weather