Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38   #1

Instrument Data via WiFi

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to provide Wind, Depth, GPS, AIS data via WiFi, to Android tablets, PCs and Laptops.
I would also like to add a WiFi Antenna & 4G/LTE Router (this could be now or at a later date).
The boat has a Raymarine system with a Raymarine Smart Pilot. Here is a picture of the Instruments / connections (below).

C70 Chartplotter
ST60+ TRIDATA
ST60+ WIND
ST6002 AUTOHELM

I am reasonably handy with electronics, but I am not familiar with the equipment I would need for such an installation.
Could you guys please recommend what equipment I would need? I think I need a Multiplexer but not sure of the best one out there at present or any additional items I would need.
Would I be connecting it to the NMEA or SeaTalk connections?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raymarine Smart Pilot.jpg
Views:	1694
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	127341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Instruments.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	127343  

Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Instrument Data via WiFi

Please advise is the system NMEA 2000? 183?

What version of SeaTalk? 1 or NG? If you are not sure a photo of the instruments might help.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Please advise is the system NMEA 2000? 183?

What version of SeaTalk? 1 or NG? If you are not sure a photo of the instruments might help.
Thank you. I have updated the post accordingly. I am not sure but I'm guessing NMEA 183?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:59   #4

Boat: O'Day 302
Instrument Data via WiFi

Here's the biggest complication - your raymarine system is proprietary Seatalk(ST), and that format is not easily converted. Unless your C70 is capable of outputting all the ST data as NMEA 0183 (you'll notice your autopilot course computer has NMEA out, BUT it does not put out ALL NMEA, only those that are needed by the autopilot) you're going to need a method of converting from ST to NMEA before you even get to the step of broadcasting that info.

The conversion can be done by purchasing one of these for about $160: http://www.gadgetpool.de/bestellen/c...v43fdfr9qcfm37

Now that you have the conversion, you need a way to get it to the devices on your boat. BUT, do you only want to be able to display the data on the devices(probably) or do you want the devices to be able to talk to your raymarine instruments as well?

Let's assume you just want the display feature. Your most cost effective solution is to purchase one of these for about $120: http://sonarserver.com/us/product/so...rver-nmea0183/
It only advertises that it puts out depth info wirelessly, but it does put ALL NMEA data onto a wireless network.

Wire up those 2 devices and connect to the wireless network (udp port 2000) and you'll have the nav data available to your handheld devices.

If you want your handheld devices to be able to transmit NMEA(ex: autopilot remote, route creation) then you would need to purchase a different dig yacht (or others) product. More $$ too.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:23   #5

Actually, just found a device that seems to do everything you want AND communicate 2 ways AND it's under $200: http://vyacht.net/opencart/n2k-wifi
Old 04-07-2016, 13:12   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

This is how it is done.

Check C70 if it outputs nmea.

A) If it does:

- take nmea output (mind 232 vs 422 thing) convert to serial (dongle about 20USD), (optional) then plug the USB side into a wifi router,
- put the nmea onto the router's serial terminal (serial to TTL level with most routers), (optional, see above)
- bridge the serial/USB to wifi,
- get the router into AP mode,
- connect to this AP,
- tap into the net data with your selected software/App.

B) if it does not:
- use Ray nmea bridge hardware,
- then proceed as above using the nmea signal.

or else, e.g.

C) plug nmea data from Ray into any wifi AIS unit - many of them multiplex the incoming nmea and their own ais data before making it one stream available via the AIS AP.

The s/h router is the least expensive way but the AIS wifi way is a nice two birds one stone if you are going to want an AIS one day.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 16:47   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
Actually, just found a device that seems to do everything you want AND communicate 2 ways AND it's under $200: WiFi NMEA2000/0183/Seatalk Router
Just bought one of these, yet to connecct it but is well made unit and communication and delivery was excellent
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 16:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Okay the C70 is reported to speak NMEA0183, Seatalk1 and SeatalkNG. If that is the case, the first step is to get all the data to display on the C70. This should be fairly straightforward.

If that works, then as others posted get the NMEA data stream to show on a PC. My favorite is OpenCpn. It also has a debug window so you can see the NMEA sentences streaming by---- appeals to the inner geek in all of us. If all that works, you have a HUGE decision.

1-wifi the data stream using a NMEA-wifi connection. Meh

2-get a vesper AIS transponder with wifi.

3-wire data stream to a PC. Not as sexy but effective.

I was stupid. I got the NMEA-wifi with AIS receive only. 6 months later I realized sailing the ocean it is better to have a transponder.

If you have an old laptop, remove Windows and install Ubuntu. Or build a Raspberry Pi... Oodles of options.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 00:40   #9

Guys,

Thank you so much for all the advice so far.
I'm glad I posted this as I probably would have purchased something that I would have needed to upgrade immediately afterwards!!

So, I think that the Vesper XB-8000 could be the way to go as I would definitely like an AIS Transponder and it appears it will transmit heading, wind, depth, speed, log, temperature too. Just what I'm looking for.

How do I check that all the data is available at the C70, as I have not noticed wind, depth, temp etc on the C70?

I have found this site that may be useful to confirm outputs? Raymarine C70 - A Dedicated Site for the - Raymarine C70 Chartplotter (Click the "Detailed Specification" yellow tab)

Unfortunately, I have not removed the C70 to see what cable connections are in use at present. Here is a pic (below) of the C70 connections.
I assume I am connecting it directly to the C70 right?, and not the pilot computer?
So what port do I connect the XB-8000 too? Do I need a Tee or splitter, and what type of additional cables are required to add this device?

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raymarine C Series Cable Connections.jpg
Views:	2586
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	127385  
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02   #10

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

You dont. If you get the data to a PC, use opencpn to broadcast the data via wifi on the pc. Instructions are on the Opencpn website, in the manual. It is easy, and works well...Only issue is, after using the Opencpn for a bit, you'll want to chuck the raymarine plotter! :-)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:44   #11

Lots of info here. Lots of people suggesting taking the data to a pc.

I'm not a fan of that option, just because of the added system. I like just turning the system on and everything is up and running.

However, maybe you could tell us what your intended useage is? Just cruising around your local sailing area, or more far flung adventures?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:51   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I can confirm that a Vesper XB-8000 will do exactly what you need. Feed the NMEA0183 data into the Vesper and it will broadcast it over the WIFI.

I had a very similar setup to you until recently (lightening strike and I replaced everything). I used a Vesper to broadcast the data to my laptop and tablets. I connected my Vesper to the NMEA0183 port on the Smart Pilot computer. If I'm moving, I have my autopilot turned on so it worked well for me.

Plus.. Adding the Vesper will give you a very nice anchor alarm. If you go for the Watchmate Vision, then you have the anchor alarm at the helm and on a tablet.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:51   #13

Boat: Lagoon 40

I also use the Vesper Marine Watchmate (XB9000). It does the job very well. I transmit everything to my iPad and run iNavX, which allows full display of charts with AIS and just about any NMEA or Seatalk instrument you have attached. I am a huge fan of the Vesper and their after-sales support.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:57   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

IMHO if you want the data ... on a PC (not a tablet PC but just a netbook/laptop or black box one) then you just wire the stuff via a series/USB dongle (if Ray C70 is 4 cable then you buy a rs422 dongle, NOT 232).

If your main nav station is a small netbook or a fixed tablet, then you simply make this 'station' an AP (wifi access point) and you do not need any other wifi device towards the mobile units (phones or extra tablets).

About the only situation you may want wifi data is when the C70 is in a location far away from where you normally 'navigate'. At this point you may use a mobile device as a mobile repeater, plotter, AIS radar, etc.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Dufour 405 Grand Large

We use a MiniPlex-3Wi(-N2K) multiplexer from Shipmodul. The nice thing about this multiplexer is that it translates and broadcasts Seatalk, NMEA0183 as well as NMEA2000 (simultaneously).

So it is versatile and future proof.
Hans V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wifi, rum