Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2022, 19:08   #1

Class B+ AIS units

My Vesper XB8000 is on the fritz. Basically since I bought it never transmitted GPS or AIS data over either the NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 networks on my boat. Didn't bother me much at the time as I was using a tablet for navigation and it did repeat NMEA data over the Wifi (depth, wind, heading, etc.) which is what I wanted most. However I recently installed new NMEA2K compatible autopilot and instruments which are giving me "No GPS" alarms, not displaying SOG, things like that are annoying me more now.

Garmin support has been pretty much useless, asking me the same basic questions over and over again, so I'm not inclined to replace this with another Vesper unit.

If I'm going to replace this I think I'd like to upgrade to B+. Doing some research, here are some models I've found:

Simrad V3100 - about $1100, no wifi, I'd have to buy a NMEA2K > Wifi device
AMEC B600 - about $750, has wifi - interesting this looks IDENTICAL to the Simrad unit, even the wiring diagram is the same, but is cheaper, why???
Ocean signal ATB1 - couldn't find a price on this one but it's listed on their site
AISLink CB2 - has wifi, $699 on amazon
Digital Yacht - not interested, is just too expensive!

Any advice on favorite brands these days?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 20:01   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Class B+ AIS units

It seems unlikely that both the NMEA0183 and n2k interfaces would be non-functional. More likely is a problem with the network on your boat. I only mention this, because if you don't sort that, you might find trouble with the new unit as well.

You might find this chart useful. Not the most up to date, but a good comparision:
https://milltechmarine.com/customer2...comparison.pdf
Old 14-10-2022, 20:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

I believe the XB8000 only broadcasts GPS data from its own antenna. Do you have it connected/working? The WatchMate app may help diagnose that
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 00:09   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Class B+ AIS units

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
I believe the XB8000 only broadcasts GPS data from its own antenna. Do you have it connected/working? The WatchMate app may help diagnose that

Today while a little bit more costly thx SRT SOTDMA 5W AIS engine present in Garmin , Raymarine , em trak etc. with integrated antenna splitter and good nmea2000 support is the way to go. With some recent discounting the Garmin one is the slightly cheaper option.
Old 15-10-2022, 03:41   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I upgraded plotter with a grarmin so used the Garmin ais with built in splitter. Has work perfect though I did have initial issue due to a faulty power cord.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 05:13   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
I upgraded plotter with a grarmin so used the Garmin ais with built in splitter. Has work perfect though I did have initial issue due to a faulty power cord.

Greg

In general where you have more recent equipment I find nmea 2000 interfacing to be much more likely to work then nmea183
Old 15-10-2022, 05:35   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
It seems unlikely that both the NMEA0183 and n2k interfaces would be non-functional. More likely is a problem with the network on your boat. I only mention this, because if you don't sort that, you might find trouble with the new unit as well.

You might find this chart useful. Not the most up to date, but a good comparision:
https://milltechmarine.com/customer2...comparison.pdf
Thanks, that chart is very useful. It's a bit surprising how few models offer multiplexing NMEA data from other devices over WiFi. The AMEC B600W looks pretty good, based on the review at Panbo.

On my Vesper XB8000 the GPS location is available over WiFi. I, too would suspect a problem with the network or the configuration on the Vesper or the other device(s) on the network. I'd want to confirm the source of the problem before buying new hardware, too.

That said, updating to SOTDMA is a great idea. Frankly, Vesper wasn't supporting this unit very well even before Garmin bought them. I almost wish mine would die and give me an excuse to update.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 05:43   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Garmin support has been pretty much useless, asking me the same basic questions over and over again, so I'm not inclined to replace this with another Vesper unit.

If I'm going to replace this I think I'd like to upgrade to B+. Doing some research, here are some models I've found:

Garmin has an "AIS 800 Blackbox" unit; maybe that's not a Vesper? Says Class B/SO. (Is that B+?)

Furuno has two, one Class B (FA-50) and one Class B+ (FA-70).

Raymarine probably offers AIS.

The Garmin thing says it can share a VHF and AIS antenna. I thought the AIS specification requires a separate/dedicated VHF antenna?

-Chris
Old 15-10-2022, 07:40   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Class B/SO is the same as B+.

The AMEC B600 / B600W units (without and with wifi) would be my pick. As pointed out, they're one of the few that will multiplex other NMEA2000 data over wifi (making them useful if you've got a laptop with OpenCPN or similar and don't already have it connected to your other devices). And they're usually one of the cheapest B+ units out there as well.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 07:56   #10

Boat: Riva 48

I have been very happy with the Camino 108 series but they do not do SO. You may need to decide what is more important to you:

$500 Camino - 108, they have versions with WiFi and splitter but no SO. Its claim to fame is that it can use the network GPS instead of its own separate antenna. This is useful, if you have older chart plotters that do not allow GPS source selection and default to the first source on the network which typically is the AIS. In this case, you may have accurate and advanced GPS sources on the network (10 Hz) but will end up using the 1 Hz unit in the AIS.

$600 AMEC B600. Its claim to fame is cheap SO and the ability to multiplex depth and heading on its NMEA 0183 port or Wifi. This is super useful for Navionics, for example.

Clearly, some of these functionalities you can add later with additional devices, such as a 0183/wifi adapter for $20, a multiplexer for $50, a VHF splitter, etc. but the more you have in one device the better. For me the Camino 108 was the right choice. I would not worry about SO but some people seem to think they need it badly.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 08:23   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I have an Amec B600W which I’ve been using about 2 years. Excellent unit which does everything advertised. I’ve used it with a B&G and with a Raymarine CP. Have also used the Wi-Fi to feed Navionics running on my iPad.
Edit: I recommend it without any caveats. Also FYI I bought it from Milltech Marine and have found their tech support outstanding. It’s very rare these days to find a price-competitive seller who also knows his products and provides great tech support.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 11:32   #12

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Another happy user of a Amec B600. Ours is the non-WiFi model since we have Signal K feeding data to Navionics anyway.
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 14:03   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Garmin has an "AIS 800 Blackbox" unit; maybe that's not a Vesper? Says Class B/SO. (Is that B+?)

Furuno has two, one Class B (FA-50) and one Class B+ (FA-70).

Raymarine probably offers AIS.

The Garmin thing says it can share a VHF and AIS antenna. I thought the AIS specification requires a separate/dedicated VHF antenna?

-Chris

No , ITU specification for non commercial allows antenna sharing so splitters are acceptable.

The garmin B800 Raymarine AIS700 and emttak B95x are based on the same SRT engine.

These are SOTDMA 5W AIS units with nmea 2000 support
Old 15-10-2022, 14:10   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Class B/SO is the same as B+.

The AMEC B600 / B600W units (without and with wifi) would be my pick. As pointed out, they're one of the few that will multiplex other NMEA2000 data over wifi (making them useful if you've got a laptop with OpenCPN or similar and don't already have it connected to your other devices). And they're usually one of the cheapest B+ units out there as well.

Well they don’t include a integrated vhf splitter which is $200 extra. So it’s a tossup.

Personally for wifi I use a YDWRG-02 wifi nmea 2000 gateway
Old 15-10-2022, 17:51   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post

-Chris

I suspect you are thinking of the specification requiring them to have their own GPS receiver/antenna. Something to do with transmission timing from memory.

Tags
ais