Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 14:36   #46

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: B&G Zeus 3

Is anyone else having trouble registering on B&G's web site here - Newsletter Signup Its for their video tutorials
Old 09-02-2017, 16:40   #47

Boat: DownEaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Is anyone else having trouble registering on B&G's web site here - Newsletter Signup Its for their video tutorials
It seemed to work for me. Did you see that little slider below the ID info?
I "registered" but have not had anything in return yet.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:39   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
It seemed to work for me. Did you see that little slider below the ID info?
I "registered" but have not had anything in return yet.
Sorry, missed this. Same for me, I even get the next screen to thank me for registering but it doesn't register me,......................
Old 12-03-2017, 04:44   #49

I rang S&G's parent company and they will try to have a Zeus 3 at the Gold Coast Boat Show this week. I know that is most likely code for hahaha, no chance, get of my phone.

Anyway, we will see on Friday.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:37   #50

They didn't have one there - big surprise!!!
Old 20-03-2017, 08:09   #51

Boat: IP 40

Yeah I have one on order, supposed to ship around April 2nd...fingers crossed
Old 09-04-2017, 21:32   #52

Boat: Passport 40

New B&G Zeus3 9 Inch installed on my Passport 40 and used last weekend. Guys, it's sweet, fast, and bright. Screen resolution was excellent. The addition of a 4-direction button below the wheel gives full control of the unit without needing to touch the screen if you want to run that way.

I'm still testing other systems, but this seems like just the system I wanted. So far, so good.
Old 11-04-2017, 16:44   #53

Boat: Swan 432

I have a dumb question regarding maps. If you have two MFM's, one at the helm and one at the Nav station do you have to buy two sets of maps? I was unsure if you only need one loaded and could access it from the other MFM.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 17:39   #54

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleach View Post
New B&G Zeus3 9 Inch installed on my Passport 40 and used last weekend. Guys, it's sweet, fast, and bright. Screen resolution was excellent. The addition of a 4-direction button below the wheel gives full control of the unit without needing to touch the screen if you want to run that way.

I'm still testing other systems, but this seems like just the system I wanted. So far, so good.
Lets hope it stays that way.. My Zeus2 was just like that when I first got it.. Now I HATE the thing. Its so slow and choppy with a CMAP card that its almost unusable. I have gone back to using OpenCPN on my laptop to ensure I don't wreck my boat in tight quarters.

The worst thing.. They had a few software updates that seem to fix the slow problem. Then the next update reintroduced it. Seems like the programming team needs some serious work.

Anyway, this thread is about the Zeus3 so I will stop.. I just hope I'm not reading similar stories in the coming months/years.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I have a dumb question regarding maps. If you have two MFM's, one at the helm and one at the Nav station do you have to buy two sets of maps? I was unsure if you only need one loaded and could access it from the other MFM.
Short answer is yes. I have a B&G Zeus2 and a Lowrance HDS Gen2 and they can share charts, waypoints, and routes. But the C-Map charts have two activations, so you can load them locally on both devices anyway. Local is better for speed and redundancy.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Lets hope it stays that way.. My Zeus2 was just like that when I first got it.. Now I HATE the thing. Its so slow and choppy with a CMAP card that its almost unusable. I have gone back to using OpenCPN on my laptop to ensure I don't wreck my boat in tight quarters.

The worst thing.. They had a few software updates that seem to fix the slow problem. Then the next update reintroduced it. Seems like the programming team needs some serious work.

Anyway, this thread is about the Zeus3 so I will stop.. I just hope I'm not reading similar stories in the coming months/years.
Is your software up to date? There was an update about a year ago that had big performance improvements. My Zeus2 works fine with the Caribbean charts.

Generally agree about the programming team.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:43   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Is your software up to date? There was an update about a year ago that had big performance improvements. My Zeus2 works fine with the Caribbean charts.

Generally agree about the programming team.
Yup.. I just updated it a week ago..

I have the Carribean C-map charts (with Active Captain data) and its so slow its almost unusable. Seriously turning the dial to zoom in and out has a 5-8 second delay. Scrolling is about 5 seconds. I have noticed it gets even slower with lots of AIS data. Its very frusterating..
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41   #58

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:

I have the Carribean C-map charts (with Active Captain data) and its so slow its almost unusable. Seriously turning the dial to zoom in and out has a 5-8 second delay. Scrolling is about 5 seconds. I have noticed it gets even slower with lots of AIS data. Its very frusterating..
that sounds heinous. was seriously about to pull the trigger on one of the defender advertised remanufactured 9" units before finding this thread. now I don't know what to do.
mathiasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 14:29   #59

You know.. I feel bad that my post would make you not buy....

Since my post I have decided to eyeball my setup and see if there is something wrong with my install (usually %90 of problems).. So I have now simplified my network and will do my next trip with things simplified to see if I can isolate an install issue. Unfortuantley I won't move for a few weeks.. and I will come back and post if I could fix it.

However.. I still stand by the fact that the programing teams suck at B&G. Just 2 weeks ago I had to e-mail them and let them know that thier website was broken and users could no longer download updates. It took 4 e-mails with the them to convince them the website was actually broken.

Not to mention the whole craziness with the Gofree shop about 4 months ago. I was left without charts or updates for months. Although they shipped me a brand new card since the download didn't work, it wasn't the best solution. Even now, I spent $30 on the insight planner and its no longer supported.

This is just conjecture.. but I'm pretty sure they are trying to move thier programing offshore and doing a VERY bad job of it.. Even VERY bad doesn't describe how bad (heads need to roll and people need to be fired). Unfotunately I don't think that team will get better for 4-6 months.

The Triton2 stuff I have is fantastic.. The Zeus stuff I have is "NOT FANTASTIC"!
Old 12-04-2017, 14:58   #60

Quote:

That may be the difference. I have Caribbean C-MAP without Active Captain data. You should be using a Class 10 SD card.

Edit: If your problem is related to Active Captain, I wonder if you can turn it off.