Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 21:14   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Advice on Raymarine MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
I went with a Axiom 12 Pro. I like the size. I use a Amazon Fire Tablet when I'm not in the cockpit with the Raymarine control app.

Having moved our Axiom + from the salon to the cockpit we have been using a Samsung tablet with the RayRemote app at the nav station (in addition to a computer with OpenCPN). Generally very handy and portable inside but the app frequently freezes, or drops the MFD’s WiFi connection, or can’t find the WiFi signal.

I suspect Raymarine have not bothered to make the RayView and RayRemote very reliable to encourage purchases of secondary MFDs?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 22:39   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

They get you hooked with a 7" then you find you have to have a 9" and if you want to use the radar for working into and from tricky anchorages you end up with a second 9".

Both the 9" Axioms I have purchased went back for warranty claims. The first after a software update which went bad and the second because the backlight quit. I've had the 7" a series since 2016 and have never had a problem with it. I have to give Raymarine their due, they were excellent in their responses to the problems with very good, quick service.

Great gadgets for folks who want to minimize stress.
Old 25-12-2021, 02:12   #18

Raymarine have a strong following in the powerboat world.

When I replaced electronics a couple years ago, I spent the extra money for knob/button input in addition to touchscreen. Being able to steady your hand by resting the palm is very helpful.

MFDs can display a lot of data via Hollywood Squares display. Bigger is definitely better with 9-inch being minimum in my opinion.

There is no cheap way through this. The least affordable option is buying twice to get it right.

Maybe Santa left you something this morning.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, marine, raymarine