Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 01:20   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Advice on Raymarine MFD

I'd like opinions about the various Raymarine Axios MFDs. I bought a CHIRP Quantum radar which apparently needs one. If I go to the Raymarine website they are all GREAT! But what do I really need?
It will be used in a usually, somewhat shaded cockpit and I currently use Navionics and iSailor on tablets and OpenCPN on my laptop. I can't see buying chart modules (expense), but who knows? And is 9" sufficient/appreciably better than 7"?
What about touch screen vs mechanical buttons?
I basically want it for the RADAR dome I bought but it would be nice to have Speed, Wind, Depth, and GPS viewable on it. I don't need NETFLIX capability
Is there some new electronics that's about to come out that I to be concerned about?.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 03:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Advice on Raymarine MFD

We’ve got an axiom 9”. The 7” was just too small to really see anything from various angles across the cockpit.

You can buy the axiom with Navionics charts pre-loaded and then never need to pay for charts again.

There are times I wish I’d spring for the axiom 9 pro with buttons, but those times are rare and the touch screen has been sufficient.

Since you’ve already bought the radar, you sort of need the axiom, otherwise you’ve got yourself a useless piece of equipment.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 14:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We’ve got an axiom 9”. The 7” was just too small to really see anything from various angles across the cockpit.

You can buy the axiom with Navionics charts pre-loaded and then never need to pay for charts again.

There are times I wish I’d spring for the axiom 9 pro with buttons, but those times are rare and the touch screen has been sufficient.

Since you’ve already bought the radar, you sort of need the axiom, otherwise you’ve got yourself a useless piece of equipment.
Thank you for your opinion! At this point the 9" Axiom is the one I'm leaning to. The charts are quite expensive except for N America where I'm not.. Perhaps if it comes to where I stay in one area it might be worth it. At this point I've decided it isn't. The Pro is too expensive, I believe. The + has more storage. Why is that useful? and is brighter.
Old 16-12-2021, 14:39   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
And is 9" sufficient/appreciably better than 7"?
What about touch screen vs mechanical buttons?
WE have the 9" Element, but similar screen size to the Axiom. I had the chance to play with both 7 and 9" live systems before buying. On the 7" assuming you have North up on radar then the top and bottom of the circle gets cut off if you start to zoom in to see what is going on. With the 9" with a similar level of zoom you still have a full circle. Now we don't currently have radar but may in the future, so opted for the 9" display.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 14:41   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

I added an Axiom 9 because it was required for the Sirius weather box I wanted. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I wish I'd gone for the Navionics rather than Raymarine charts. Other than that I like the Axiom.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 17:25   #6

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

if the plotter will be outside exposed to weather then go for the axiom pro as this is both touch screen and buttons for when hands are wet
Old 16-12-2021, 18:01   #7

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

I made the same choice regarding touch screen and buttons. Remember you can always get the remote control with buttons.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 22:18   #8

Have axiom 7 at the wheel on a 32ft boat. Works well, even though it's kind of small. No issues with any functions ,but when the screen gets wet - on occasion it becomes less responsive. I would go for 9 Hybrid or remote buttons.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 22:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I added an Axiom 9 because it was required for the Sirius weather box I wanted. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I wish I'd gone for the Navionics rather than Raymarine charts. Other than that I like the Axiom.
Thank you for your input. I like the Navionics charts, In N. Kenya (Lamu, Kilifi) they are very accurate. In S Kenya (Shimoni), N. Tanzania they were about 1/2 mile off.

I'm wondering if I don't get the CHIRP SONAR installed, if it can be added later if I want it. And does the Axiom come with Real Vision or is that an option?
Old 16-12-2021, 22:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Frank View Post
I made the same choice regarding touch screen and buttons. Remember you can always get the remote control with buttons.

Is the remote control a Raymarine option or a tablet with a Raymarine App? Thanks for your input!
Old 16-12-2021, 23:00   #11

And I'm curious if anyone runs a relatively inexpensive forward-looking camera visible through the mfd.
Old 17-12-2021, 01:37   #12

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I like the Navionics charts, In N. Kenya (Lamu, Kilifi) they are very accurate. In S Kenya (Shimoni), N. Tanzania they were about 1/2 mile off.

I'm wondering if I don't get the CHIRP SONAR installed, if it can be added later if I want it. And does the Axiom come with Real Vision or is that an option?

Axiom+ comes in a RV model that has the sonar processing built in, not sure about the Axiom. We have a 9” model and just added a 3D sonar transducer that plugs right into the back.

We moved our plotter from the salon nav station (of a cat) to the cabin bulkhead in the cockpit. We’ll give it some time to figure out whether we need a remote key pad or not - there usually isn’t much water there but in a bucketing rain storm, hmmm? It didn’t seem worth it to buy the Axiom Pro, nor a second plotter just to keep one in the salon.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 03:52   #13

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Is the remote control a Raymarine option or a tablet with a Raymarine App? Thanks for your input!
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raya804...RoCPD4QAvD_BwE
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:18   #14

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

We have a new Axiom 9 and like it so far. You do not need an Axiom you could purchased an older used e7 and save some money but with less features.

We have an e7 but it started acting up in fog and humid conditions so we moved it to the navigation station.
Mike Crothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:23   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380

I went with a Axiom 12 Pro. I like the size. I use a Amazon Fire Tablet when I'm not in the cockpit with the Raymarine control app.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, marine, raymarine