Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 20:38   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Pocket Cruiser or wind generator

I've seen this at my marina...you get a big boat, and there is a lot of lethargy to move it. So you stay at the dock, maybe do some cleaning and later have a cocktail or work on your TODO list. A small boat on the other hand, is easy to get going quickly. You really feel the wind. You get a little wet. You have a ton of fun.

So I say get the little sailboat and have fun. Its a toy. A really super fun toy. You will have a ton of fun. All your friends will want to come sailing on it. If its cheap and simple you can concentrate on the sailing and not worry about scratching the paint.

Back when I wore a younger man's shoes, I did exactly that. I bought a Cal25, sight unseen, on a new thing called the internet (a "newsgroup" called rec.boats.marketplace to be precise). This was before digital pictures or smart phones, so it really was sight unseen. super CHEAP. When it arrived by truck I was disheartened...it looked awful. To make matters worse, the travel lift broke down while unloading it from the truck, half way to the water. It stayed there 4 days until the travel lift was repaired. But I digress. When I finally got that thing sailing a few weeks later, I could not care less if I hit a rock or dock...and I had more fun sailing than I'd had in a long time. It was just about having fun. I invited everyone out on it...I didn't care if they stepped on the locker lids or loaded the cushions with farts. In the end I sold the boat for a tremendous profit. It was a total success. I took a chance, and won, big time.

So live a little. Make some memories. Take a chance. Sail!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL5.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	145017   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL3.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	145018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL8.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	145019   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL2.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	145020  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:55   #17

Boat: Cooper 42'

Thanks for your input... You are right, When I takw my boat out now I have to go through the whole thing and secure everything, if I have the little one on the side for just day trips, I can jump on and go..
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
70 people have looked at this and no comment? come on peoples, I want to hear youre input...
I'm still trying to figure out the question. Maybe the other 69 people had the same problem?
Old 10-04-2017, 06:30   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Way I see it is wind gennys from my understanding almost make enough power to cover the power that is lost due to shading you Solar panels, and are obnoxiously noisy, may as well be running a generator.
Two boats mean one is going to be neglected and likely become a dock Queen, at least until you tire of the little boat.
Myself I'd go tiny for a second toy, a Hobie 16 or something. My ideal would be to have a friend with one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31   #20

Do by pocket cruiser, a sail or motorboat? A small motorboat could be nice to cruise with. I have a 25' wellcraft that I trailer. Works out well. Hell I even have air conditioning. Keep it on the trailer so free storage. In great shape. Paid 6800 total. So maybe something like that could be a good addition?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 13:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Way I see it is wind gennys from my understanding almost make enough power to cover the power that is lost due to shading you Solar panels, and are obnoxiously noisy, may as well be running a generator.
Seriously? This nonsense again? It's worse than the cat vs mono garbage and less well informed.
Old 10-04-2017, 14:18   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pocket Cruiser or wind generator

Nonsense? I guess you have a silent one then? I have a dock neighbor with one, I don't have to look outside to know how much wind we have.
In 20 kts of wind my Diesel generator IS quieter than his wind generator
Old 10-04-2017, 14:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Nonsense? I guess you have a silent one then? I have a dock neighbor with one, I don't have to look outside to know how much wind we have.
You obviously ( by your implied statement ) don't have a wind generator. Mine is relatively quiet . Also the shading you mentioned earlier is a non issue when this one goes on my boat it will be well above and away from the panels so as to not cause any significant shadding issues. New to me boat will have the air x 400 mounted on the mizzen mast and 300 watts solar on the dingy davits. All I have to decide now is another 10 amp controller or run all 3 panels thru one 30 amp controller .
Old 10-04-2017, 14:42   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I just thought of the solution to the ops problem! I'm brilliant by the way. ( insert hair flip emoticon here)

The op needs a motorcycle! Yup, that is the answer!
He can explore up river AND name the bike "wind generator" who hoo!

Do I win a prize?
Old 10-04-2017, 14:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I just thought of the solution to the ops problem! I'm brilliant by the way. ( insert hair flip emoticon here)

The op needs a motorcycle! Yup, that is the answer!
He can explore up river AND name the bike "wind generator" who hoo!

Do I win a prize?
Best response so far.

But the bike really should be named "organ donor".
Old 10-04-2017, 14:51   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
You obviously ( by your implied statement ) don't have a wind generator. Mine is relatively quiet . Also the shading you mentioned earlier is a non issue when this one goes on my boat it will be well above and away from the panels so as to not cause any significant shadding issues. New to me boat will have the air x 400 mounted on the mizzen mast and 300 watts solar on the dingy davits. All I have to decide now is another 10 amp controller or run all 3 panels thru one 30 amp controller .

No I don't, don't have room to be honest, maybe on Radar pole. However they are real expensive in my opinion compared to output, and while there may be quiet ones, I've not heard any, no pun intended. Additional Solar is so cheap by comparison.
Old 10-04-2017, 15:00   #27

Quote:
It is nonsense to state absolutes in this scenario.

Yes, your neighbour has a noisey wind generator. They exist, it is true, and they may well be the majority, not sure. My neighbour has one that is utterly appalling. (And my Neighbour's boat is on shore power so there is no reason to have the horrid thing running.)

But there are PLENTY of makes and models that are practically (yes, I said practically, not absolutely) silent. Ours is a good example, and I can be reasonably sure there is no way of fitting a quieter generator, petrol or diesel, to our boat.

The shading issue is worthy of consideration, and each boat owner can balance the pros and cons as they see fit.

But I am so sick and tired of this emphatic statement that all wind generators are noisey. Better advice to a prospective purchasers would be simply that they do their homework so they don't get saddled with one of the howlers.

As an Aerogen 6 owner I can say all of this based on first hand experience. It is nearly always running when I am under way, only a few feet from my head.

Matt
Old 10-04-2017, 15:05   #28

Quote:
Additional Solar is so cheap by comparison.
Very true. But as stated on a recent thread about the Pros and cons of wind gens, I recently spent a week aboard in very overcast conditions and rainy where the bulk of my power came from the Aerogen. I have NO engine power for my house bank so I am brutally aware of the origins of all electricityon the boat.

It comes down to choices, and if faced with the same choice in the future I'd choose the alternative power sources option again, for all the compromise that entails.
Old 10-04-2017, 15:19   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I apologized if I touched a nerve, yes I'm sure they have their place as I guess towed generators do.
I guess my analysis of meeting power requirements is different than yours, although I'm not getting nearly the power from my Solar I had hoped. I think wind generators are to some extent a thing of the past, that have their place In sure.
And yes I cant figure out why my neighbor runs the thing when he is tied to shore power, perhaps it's because he is never there?
To me the thing is as bad as a little yippy dog.
Old 10-04-2017, 15:33   #30

Quote:
And yes I cant figure out why my neighbor runs the thing when he is tied to shore power, perhaps it's because he is never there?
To me the thing is as bad as a little yippy dog.

1. Yep, you hit a nerve. Apology not required but appreciated for the proper spirit of the forum and allows me to keep reading your excellent posts.(Still chuckling about the two guys in the apache who failed to confer on who would be performing the mooning of the ground spectators)

2. Your neighbour, like mine, is a fool on a number of fronts. First, for their lack of consideration for others (worse than slapping halyards in my opinion). Second for pointlessly wearing out the horrid device, though perhaps they subconsciously want to kill it to get rid of it. If it is the latter with my neighbour I would be happy to assist. As it is I am negotiating on a slightly more expensive pen, in part to get away from the stupid thing.

3. At least the average yippy little dog is usually a fun and pat worthy lap dog, though I prefer our oversized shaggy monster Groodle either way.

Anyway, as long as we steer clear of the absolutes I think we are in agreement. Yes, solar is cheaper per watt when the sun is shining, yes shading is an issue some installations (including mine) and yes, noise is a problem for many makes and models but not all.

Fair winds and all that salty stuff.

Matt

Tags
wind, generator, cruiser, cruise, pocket cruiser, wind generator