Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2007, 16:29   #1

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Pocket Cruiser for someone really tall...

Ok, I have been looking at a lot of differnt boats for my first, and since I wont be able to get aboard many of them until I head out to Annapolis for the boat show in October, I was wondering if anyone had advice for a tall sailor.

I am 6'3, and my sailing partner is 6'4.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 16:38   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
CSY 33...

Plenty of head-room and she qualfies as a big pocket cruiser.
(I am 6'2" and could wear a Top Hat below if the occasion required)
Old 23-07-2007, 22:58   #3

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I had the same problem. Most boats do not have a bunk that is big enough. There are some with queen size beds that suite me well. Headroom, Not really a problem as most of the time is spent out of the cabin although I do miss the extra 5 inches. Most boats will quote head room but only in an area and not through out.

I do not know if you are looking for a blue water or just coastal. I suggest that you go for the big bunk and a hatch to cook under. That is where most of the time will be spend inside otherwise you may never go.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 09:24   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Tall friend (not sure exact size but 6ft for sure) just bought a Tradewind 33 - intends to circumnavigate - this boat has already done a 7 year circumnav with previous (tall) owner, so check it out . . .
mickmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 09:44   #5

A Deep Pocket

You're going to be hard pressed to find a real pocket cruiser with stand-up headroom for someone your height. That's why all the suggestions so far aren't pocket cruisers.

If you could describe the boat you're wanting a bit more, you might get some more useful feedback.
Old 24-07-2007, 10:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anyone, your height, who feels the need to stand upright (in a sailboat) should be directed on deck.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 10:57   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Pocket cruiser sailors I know always tell me the only time they need to stand straight down below is for cooking. I guess they learned how to cook while seated after awhile. In the tropics I don't go below unless I'm ready to take a snooze, use the head or for cooking so standing headroom is not as important as you would think. If you were going to liveaboard then I would think it is a bigger issue.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 13:36   #8

i have a pocket cruiser and when i was looking to buy, standing headroom was imperitive to me, (in spite of living aboard in the tropics), and eliminated many boats and i'm nowhere near as tall as you or your friend are.
on the subject of berth size, i once had an unknown drunken, giant swede come aboard in the middle of the night demanding to see if 'he could fit' in one of my berths. he stretched out on a quarterberth and was thrilled it was long enough for him!
if you are lake sailing in colorado, you could consider a poptop which would give you headroom (with easy modification) but would not be an ocean going boat. good luck.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 14:11   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
i once had an unknown drunken, giant swede come aboard in the middle of the night demanding to see if 'he could fit' in one of my berths. he stretched out on a quarterberth and was thrilled it was long enough for him!
Ya can't trust them Swedes, they'll do that all the time......
Old 24-07-2007, 14:20   #10

that took place in your neck of the woods csy man! he also wanted to trade 5 warm beers for 5 cold ones! quite confusing encounter when awoken!
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:19   #11

Boat: Laguna 26
Laguna 26 pocket cruiser

My 1987 Laguna 26 has well over 6' of headroom in the cabin. I think its about 6'4" under the sliding hatch and 6'2 in the rest of the cabin. The head is about 5'7" The only berth that is over 6" long is the stbd. settee. There was another layout that had a dinette but I don't know how long the berths are. Some of them had a extension for the V-berth that made it pretty long.

The boat was later sold as a "Classic 26" and it may be made again by a member of this message board.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 09:55   #12

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Cooking was my primary concern, as is the size of the berth. I know I wont be spending much time below decks, but I thought it was worth asking just in case.
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 10:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Here ya go.

http://www.chuckpaine.com/pdf/31TANGIER31.pdf
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 06:59   #14

Now that is a winner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
I am 6'5 and always have the issue with headroom/berthspace... The Tangier looks like quite a comfortable boats.
kcallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 09:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Sailor
My 1987 Laguna 26 has well over 6' of headroom in the cabin. I think its about 6'4" under the sliding hatch and 6'2 in the rest of the cabin. The head is about 5'7" The only berth that is over 6" long is the stbd. settee. There was another layout that had a dinette but I don't know how long the berths are. Some of them had a extension for the V-berth that made it pretty long.

The boat was later sold as a "Classic 26" and it may be made again by a member of this message board.
And the 33 has just slightly more head room. Both are trailerable. The 33 weighs in less the 10K and the 26 at about 6K. The 2 will be available after the end of the year. I have 3 more molds to move back east still.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket cruiser