Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2023, 16:27   #31

Boat: Baba 40
Re: Not right now...

Sell and get started on your bomb shelter.
Old 01-09-2023, 16:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Stopped reading at "organic couple".

I need glasses.. I thought there was an sm instead of the plain n......
Old 01-09-2023, 17:24   #33

Boat: Alajuela 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Sell and get started on your bomb shelter.

[emoji23]Excellent advice!
Old 01-09-2023, 17:30   #34

Boat: Seawind 1160

Yahoo…

One less boat in an anchorage near me.
Old 01-09-2023, 21:11   #35

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

There’s nothing like a little optimism, and that was nothing like a little optimism.
Old 03-09-2023, 13:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbright1963 View Post
If you were to read the profile description of our boat's page on Facebook, you would read, "An organic couple who HAD dreams of traveling to exciting destinations." After spending months at anchor, in 2020, 150 feet from a beautiful beach that we couldn't walk on, due to martial law, we saw the writing on the wall. On a whim, in the blink of an eye, we were restricted from movement, in a foreign country, with passports as our only representation.

Now, over three and a half years later, additional chaos and threats muddy the waters of travel, to the extent that we have resigned ourselves to remaining in U.S. territorial waters for the foreseeable future. World War, a collapsing world economy, civil unrest and a resurgence of the weaponisation of health issues, point to a real climate change where travel is ill-advised. The idyllic methods of travel where a welcoming country cheerfully accommodates your arrival can no longer be taken for granted, as geopolitics and economic disaster has many destinations on the brink of starvation and takeover.

One of the more popular cruising grounds for American cruisers is the Caribbean. A short peek into the economies and alliances of most Caribbean nations finds the imperial spread of China, in their ownership of ports, resorts and critical infrastructure of these locations, not to mention the construction of military outposts in some. Couple this with the de-dollarization that is sweeping the world and you have the perfect opportunity to put yourself and your boat (maybe your only home, if you are like us) in jeopardy.

Imagine, if you will, that you are the guest of a foreign nation who opts to no longer accept the dollar for payment. What if your bank has collapsed, as you travel, and your credit cards are no longer valid. Add to that a hostility towards your nationality because you are American. All of these factors weigh against the commonplace axiom that you travel without personal protection (pew pew). A recipe for disaster.

Another scenario could be that although you provisioned for months of travel, you arrive at a destination where the economy or supply chain has collapsed. Here you are with the items these people are lacking. You don't have to be very bright to see the conclusion to that scenario. It could mean your life.

We see so many cruisers, with their umpteen new Jerry cans and dual wind generators, boasting about their upcoming circumnavigation. Unfortunately, it is impossible to curb their enthusiasm with the realities that exist and the fact that they are not guaranteed safe passage or existence, at this moment in time. Best to wait for things to pass or accept that the world has irreparably changed and pick a cruising ground where you are not compromised. Any consideration of international travel, at present, is foolish and potentially fatal. Someone needed to say this.
I Think you are worrying about what ifs and not realities. We have been in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama the last two years no issue. Supply chain has been fine, dollar accepted everywhere, health cost the cheapest ever in Mexico. Health insurance may be a challe ge, but out of pocket has been reasonable. We are enjoying with no issues. Do not let fear rule your heart or decisions, or you will never leave.
Old 03-09-2023, 13:47   #37

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hmm per your posting history and your own words you had a great time in 2020
Old 11-10-2023, 13:12   #38

War in the Middle East, War in Eastern Europe, World Jihad called for October 13th. China preparing to invade Taiwan, the brink of economic collapse and WW3. Shortwave radios can be purchased for less than $50. These devices will bring a world of news to your ears, just as your weather radio warns you of storms and dangerous conditions. Maybe I should have titled the post: Come Sail the World at War. You people are amazing. A good captain considers the safety of his vessel and crew. In light of recent developments, how would you like your crow prepared?
Old 11-10-2023, 13:20   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
War in the Middle East, War in Eastern Europe, World Jihad called for October 13th. China preparing to invade Taiwan, the brink of economic collapse and WW3. Shortwave radios can be purchased for less than $50. These devices will bring a world of news to your ears, just as your weather radio warns you of storms and dangerous conditions. Maybe I should have titled the post: Come Sail the World at War. You people are amazing. A good captain considers the safety of his vessel and crew. In light of recent developments, how would you like your crow prepared?

how old are you? That’s my question.

The reason I’m asking is because I felt the same way you do about 25 years ago. Maybe 20 years ago?

all of the same stuff was happening then and it’s still happening now. Nothing has really changed except the names and locations.

when I was out there doing survivalist things on a boat, we had many of the same problems. I came to the conclusion that you cannot live on a boat without money. It just doesn’t work. You’re going to need an anchor. Things like that.

so we are tied to society whether we like it or not. The only way you’re going to escape is a cabin in the woods. Not a cabin on the water.

I suppose it’s a good idea to figure out how to get news while you are traveling but you might as well just get star link or one of the competitors at that point. There’s no need for a short wave radio anymore. News travels instantaneously around the world.

So, how old are you? Haven’t you lived through all of this before? Or no?
Old 11-10-2023, 14:10   #40

Chotu, thanks for asking. I am a retired, senior citizen, boomer. I am not a subscriber to the typical "World Citizen" ideology of most cruisers. I am an American. My vessel is flagged American. When I visit another country, I consider myself an American guest or visitor to their country. Lately, it appears as though I have become a visitor to my own country.

I am amazed at the lack of comprehension and understanding that the general public has, as it relates to how the world works. There are similarities to previous history but we are in a unique time period, now. Sentiment towards Americans is teetering on a knife's blade throughout the world and could rapidly change 180° at a moment's notice - not because of the beautiful and generous people of the world but because of geopolitics.

I receive news via the internet, radio, and speaking directly with other operators throughout the world via amateur radio. Having spent over 40 years in broadcast radio and television, I have vast insight and understanding of intelligence gathering and discernment. We are at no loss for information on the boat. I suppose it boils down to how a person processes the information they receive or whether they deem it better to avoid the process and information entirely.

Our boat is our home and will remain as such, for as long as she remains serviceable. There are no plans for bomb shelters or wire-protected compounds and no one on the boat is wringing their hands with anxiety. We are prepared to sustain life on the boat for years, if needed. That is our choice.

Our choice also includes not placing our only home in a compromising position where we are weeks or months away from our home country when the world is at war. A very simple concept. Hard to believe there was such pushback in this forum to something so basic. Intended as a word of caution and concern, the original post became a whipping post for the "world citizenry" to espouse their ignorance for world events and basic cause-and-effect.

I would like to mark this moment, October 11, 2023 and return to this forum and thread on January 1, 2024 to examine the challenges to world travel, as I have warned.
Old 11-10-2023, 14:17   #41

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

that will be very interesting to see. Where we are in one year from now when it comes to world travel challenges.

I have a family member that has been in television for a long time like you as well.

I’m not going to lie. I do keep my boat rigged up to survive for a couple months if I have to. during the pandemic I had a rude awakening. in the early days before things were running out I started to try to canned some food and you need some consumables to do that. Not good. They ran out of the lids.

So in my particular case is solar and freezer is more reliable than anything you have to get from a manufacturer. It's also a LOT less work and doesn't require a fuel. Good stuff.

But I understand what you mean about potential wars and potential sentiment against Americans.
Old 11-10-2023, 14:18   #42

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

The great divide is here too.
The paranoid, with valid reasons and the happy go lucky with valid reasons. The social media followers and the "I don't want/need to know what's also out there.
The op has some good valid points to keep in mind at least. You shouldn't hate on him for that, not share the anchorage etc.
Argh....
Old 11-10-2023, 16:57   #43

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Chotu, thanks for asking. I am a retired, senior citizen, boomer. I am not a subscriber to the typical "World Citizen" ideology of most cruisers. I am an American. My vessel is flagged American. When I visit another country, I consider myself an American guest or visitor to their country. Lately, it appears as though I have become a visitor to my own country.

I am amazed at the lack of comprehension and understanding that the general public has, as it relates to how the world works. There are similarities to previous history but we are in a unique time period, now. Sentiment towards Americans is teetering on a knife's blade throughout the world and could rapidly change 180° at a moment's notice - not because of the beautiful and generous people of the world but because of geopolitics.

I receive news via the internet, radio, and speaking directly with other operators throughout the world via amateur radio. Having spent over 40 years in broadcast radio and television, I have vast insight and understanding of intelligence gathering and discernment. We are at no loss for information on the boat. I suppose it boils down to how a person processes the information they receive or whether they deem it better to avoid the process and information entirely.

Our boat is our home and will remain as such, for as long as she remains serviceable. There are no plans for bomb shelters or wire-protected compounds and no one on the boat is wringing their hands with anxiety. We are prepared to sustain life on the boat for years, if needed. That is our choice.

Our choice also includes not placing our only home in a compromising position where we are weeks or months away from our home country when the world is at war. A very simple concept. Hard to believe there was such pushback in this forum to something so basic. Intended as a word of caution and concern, the original post became a whipping post for the "world citizenry" to espouse their ignorance for world events and basic cause-and-effect.

I would like to mark this moment, October 11, 2023 and return to this forum and thread on January 1, 2024 to examine the challenges to world travel, as I have warned.
Please make it 2025. Or better yet, 2035. Well still be here, waiting with bated breath for your, umm, unique perspective.
Old 11-10-2023, 17:18   #44

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Are there still shortwave stations on the air that are not religious zealots or conspiracy theorists spreading propaganda?

I would like my crew to be prepared with passports and valid visas for our destination.
Old 11-10-2023, 19:32   #45

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Are there still shortwave stations on the air that are not religious zealots or conspiracy theorists spreading propaganda?

That depends somewhat on your point of view.

Shortwave broadcasting is in decline. VOA, BBC, and others are still out there.

Quote:

I would like my crew to be prepared with passports and valid visas for our destination.

Well, on the passport front, I hear that Hungary is a good place to start.