Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2023, 08:51   #1

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat
RE-Galvanizing in Seattle area?

Anyone know of a galvanizing facility in the Seattle, WA area to re-galvanize my 300' of 5/16" G4 anchor chain? I've tried Emerald Galvanizing, ACE Galvanizing, Seattle Galvanizing, and several others (Olympia, Portland) -- NONE of these companies are doing small chain re-galvanizing at this time.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:36   #2

Re: RE-Galvanizing in Seattle area?

I dont. I had Ace do it many years ago. It was a terrible job. It's a bit of a PITA for galvanizers I imagine. The chain lumps together, big chunks of galvanizing hang on portions of the chain etc. For a good job you need a lot of care, or they used to say centrifugal spinning ? etc.
I imagine in today's $ new chain is the best decision. I always liked US made Campbell Chain from Fisheries supply. But I had a wholesale account there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCarter3 View Post
Anyone know of a galvanizing facility in the Seattle, WA area to re-galvanize my 300' of 5/16" G4 anchor chain? I've tried Emerald Galvanizing, ACE Galvanizing, Seattle Galvanizing, and several others (Olympia, Portland) -- NONE of these companies are doing small chain re-galvanizing at this time.
If 5 local companies all passed on the 'business opportunity' it is because there is either no profit in it, or too much potential for customer blow back and complaints. Especially in our modern Yelp/Cancel Culture.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
If 5 local companies all passed on the 'business opportunity' it is because there is either no profit in it, or too much potential for customer blow back and complaints. Especially in our modern Yelp/Cancel Culture.

What I've learned is: a) there is NO place anymore in the Seattle / Portland area that does this work; b) Emerald Galvanizing is being forced out-of-business by their landlord (their guess is that the landlord is more interested in bringing in a more profitable business); and c) Seattle Galvanizing says they have applied for a permit to do this kind of work and hope to offer it by year end.

I'm looking in Vancouver BC now...
Old 09-10-2023, 09:00   #5

The 2 firms that I know of that offer galvanizing services in the Van. BC area (Ebco & Silver City) will not galvanize your anchor chain.

Seems like a waste but I had to buy new chain.

Let us all know your findings.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 15:29   #6

I did not find ANY company from Portland to Seattle that currently offers re-galvanizing anchor chain. Emerald Galvanizing, in Seattle, used to do it, but is going out of business. One other, Seattle Galvanizing said they have applied for a permit, but don’t know when they might get it… maybe by year end they said.

I did find a company that does it in Vancouver, BC… Silver City Galvanizing <https://silvercitygalv.com/>. I talked with Jeff Boychuk (VP). He told me they re-do a lot of anchor chain every year. They soak it in acid to remove previous galvanization and rust, then run it through their galvanizing process, then spin it in a large basket centrifuge to ensure the links do not stick together. All you need to do is take the chain to them. Takes about 2 weeks. Cost is $2.50/ft. (U.S. I think).

Tags
seattle